2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

New Future Islands album The Far Field out in April, and new song here:

Honestly wasn't expecting much from this and thought I'd kind of lose interest but I really like it. Not a big reinvention or anything but a great little tune. Shame they won't be at the farm.

16 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

couple new Mac Demarco tracks from new album titled 'This Old Dog' which is being released in May

http://pitchfork.com/news/69681-mac-demarco-announces-new-album-this-old-dog-shares-two-new-songs-listen/?mbid=social_facebook

Loving those two new songs also, especially the title track.

Edited by FloorFiller

4 hours ago, eastynh said:

Depeche Mode new single on Friday with the album go follow on 17th March.

Did you listen to Delta Machine all that much? The routine albums seem to come kinda secondary to the tour that takes its name, so wondering if the big fans feel much like that or are fully invested in the album too.

Looking forward to checking it out though.

On 21/01/2017 at 8:18 PM, FloorFiller said:

After giving Cloud Nothings' new album a few more listens I've done a 180 and think it's pretty damn good. Bit of a shame that they've almost entirely done away with the noise rock element of their music, but damn is it catchy

Been listening to this a lot since it came out. Was a bit wary of them getting rid of the noise rock stuff despite a winning formula but it's a fantastic album. It's actually more up my street than their previous albums, ironically.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Been listening to this a lot since it came out. Was a bit wary of them getting rid of the noise rock stuff despite a winning formula but it's a fantastic album. It's actually more up my street than their previous albums, ironically.

Yeah it seems to be getting more mixed reviews than their other albums but it's already had far more plays from me than their previous stuff.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Did you listen to Delta Machine all that much? The routine albums seem to come kinda secondary to the tour that takes its name, so wondering if the big fans feel much like that or are fully invested in the album too.

Looking forward to checking it out though.

I gave it a few listens at the start. It has a couple of top songs (Sooth My Soul especially) but like the other 2 Hillier albums it flattered to deceive. I am hoping a new producer provides new impetus.

Exciter in 2001 was the last really strong album they have done. There has been some top songs on the last 3 but they have not been great albums.

I still live in hope though.

TRUST FUND are doing what they do and releasing yet another album this year (4th in 3 years, that's some run), this time it's a proper professional studio job with a producer! So they've just uploaded a 28 track compilation of b-sides, alt-takes, demos, covers, live tracks and other misc that appeals to greasy pencil necked dweebs, as a PWYW to fund the project. Naturally I've downloaded it, and you should too. They've also got a deal on their entire discography for a fiver, there's literally no better way you can spend a fiver. It's on Bandcamp https://trustfund.bandcamp.com/album/too-big-to-fail-demos-covers-and-deep-cuts-2011-16

• Upvote 1

Thanks to you lot I've got into new bands this/last year. Flaming Lips and Bon Iver. Struggling to find consistent stuff I like of there's cos I'm just randomly going through their back catalogue on Spotify (all suggestions welcome), but I know I'm getting into them and really appreciating them. Nothing better for me than discovering music that's been our for a while and realising you LOVE it then getting massively into it !

It's how I felt about Owl City.

9 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

TRUST FUND are doing what they do and releasing yet another album this year (4th in 3 years, that's some run), this time it's a proper professional studio job with a producer! So they've just uploaded a 28 track compilation of b-sides, alt-takes, demos, covers, live tracks and other misc that appeals to greasy pencil necked dweebs, as a PWYW to fund the project. Naturally I've downloaded it, and you should too. They've also got a deal on their entire discography for a fiver, there's literally no better way you can spend a fiver. It's on Bandcamp https://trustfund.bandcamp.com/album/too-big-to-fail-demos-covers-and-deep-cuts-2011-16

Cheers, I was just thinking how I still need to buy the first album after Spotifying it lots. Not heard subsequent ones at all, apart from the cryptic classics Big Asda and Football.

I gave Sampha a go this morning, and hard to turn it off. The straw that broke the camel's back was the lyric "Nobody knows me like the piano in my Mother's home". Dreadful.

I then turned on Foxygen, and quite enjoying it so far...I think. I missed the last album, so it seems like a hell of a leap from that one before that to this. No idea how they plan on playing it live.

Other music which I obtained through totally legal channels include Nicolas Jaar - Sirens (bit late to this one), Loyle Carner and Julie Byrne.

43 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Whut. That's a good track. Not heard the album yet but looking forward to it.

Sorry, it's just not for me. It was just a piano ballad, which isn't really my thing. I'm sure lots of people will like it though, it's a sound which is pretty popular at the moment. Maybe I was being a little harsh though, and should give it another go. It could have been the lack of caffeine this morning putting me in a bad mood!

Looking at Metacritic, it's had pretty good reviews so far. Maybe it's just me. Wouldn't be for the first time!

2 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Sorry, it's just not for me. It was just a piano ballad, which isn't really my thing. I'm sure lots of people will like it though, it's a sound which is pretty popular at the moment. Maybe I was being a little harsh though, and should give it another go. It could have been the lack of caffeine this morning putting me in a bad mood!

Looking at Metacritic, it's had pretty good reviews so far. Maybe it's just me. Wouldn't be for the first time!

Yeah tbf if you're not into piano ballads then I could imagine a piano ballad about a piano not landing well. :P

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Chawk said:

Cheers, I was just thinking how I still need to buy the first album after Spotifying it lots. Not heard subsequent ones at all, apart from the cryptic classics Big Asda and Football.

You'll love Seems Unfair, all of their stuff is great, but that one is just a cut above, really one of the best DIY pop albums ever made.