2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

13 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They were good on the Other - they're good live generally - but didn't attract the biggest crowd.  

Funnily enough i was thinking about them and glasto crowd sizes in general earlier this week. I've often thought that Glastonbury is missing a 1000 capacity stage for bands. There's quite a few acts who draw a decent crowd but on Other, JP or Park, it can look a bit sparse. Something acoustic/avalon size would be ideal.

There's quite a few newish acts I'm hoping are at glasto this year but then can't place them short of them playing to a half empty JP, Park or Other which would just kill any atmosphere. 

Williams Green....whats the capacity there? Always feels small and and overcrowded to me.

Edited by Keithy

1 minute ago, Keithy said:

Funnily enough i was thinking about them and glasto crowd sizes in general earlier this week. I've often thought that Glastonbury is missing a 1000 capacity stage for bands. There's quite a few acts who draw a decent crowd but on Other, JP or Park, it can look a bit sparse. Something acoustic/avalon size would be ideal.

There's quite a few newish acts I'm hoping are at glasto this year but then can't place them short of them playing to a half empty JP, Park or Other which would just kill any atmosphere. 

Pretty sure Park and Acoustic are the same sort of size. The Park is good for big and small crowds because of the bowl, it can feel intimate as opposed to packed if there's not so many people there. I reckon you're describing William's Green here anyway.

7 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Wouldn't that be Williams Green?

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Pretty sure Park and Acoustic are the same sort of size. The Park is good for big and small crowds because of the bowl, it can feel intimate as opposed to packed if there's not so many people there. I reckon you're describing William's Green here anyway.

Aye. I suppose Young Fathers that year were a tough booking placement in terms of where to place them.

I'd hate to be a stage planner. It must be a nightmare placing acts. One year you end up with Royal Blood spilling out of a too small JP tent, then you get Young Fathers kicking round a sparse Other.

Question for people with far better memories than my dreadful memory - is JP bigger than the old New Bands Tent?

45 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I reckz Young Fathers on WH is a great shout. Sub it, you reckon?

Don't think they're that big. Hard to gauge though, last UK shows they did on their own were nearly two years ago, I saw them in a 500 capacity venue that was barely half full. But then they've been playing shows pretty much non-stop supporting other bands and doing fests abroad.

I'd hate to be a stage planner. It must be a nightmare placing acts. One year you end up with Royal Blood spilling out of a too small JP tent, then you get Young Fathers kicking round a sparse Other.

You've just got to take it as part and parcel of festivals that a lot of bands will play to half empty fields/tents. It has to be a given that the 30 bands who play a stage across a weekend won't have the same levels of popularity.

Question for people with far better memories than my dreadful memory - is JP bigger than the old New Bands Tent?

Yes, by several multiples.

Yeah... i think i mean a stage bigger than WG but smaller than JP.

Fair enough - tho you mentioned a 1,000 capacity and WG is much bigger than that. Off the top of my head - JP is about 10,000, Acoustic is about 6,000, Avalon about 3,000, Williams Green about 2,000..

10 minutes ago, incident said:

Yes, by several multiples.

Fair enough - tho you mentioned a 1,000 capacity and WG is much bigger than that. Off the top of my head - JP is about 10,000, Acoustic is about 6,000, Avalon about 3,000, Williams Green about 2,000..

Christ. The numbers i had in my head were way smaller!!! 

9 minutes ago, Jobseeker said:

Yeah definitely, seems a strange choice as one of the singles? Doesn't really ever get going like Pure Comedy.

Probably isn't a single. Think he might just have put it out bc of the immigration ban, as he refers to it in his blurb. I'm the same, liking the message but not much of a tune behind it. I think this is definitely the consistent tone of the album. Dunno if fully uprooting and moving to political songwriting will be good for his career but some of the acts need to do it, I s'pose.