2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

28 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I love it :lol: so over the top and ridiculous but so good because of it. Were you a fan before?

I'd never heard of them tbh, then heard Follow The Leader when it came out and really liked it. But the album's just made me confused, not in an "I need to listen again and understand this" way, but more of an "is this a novelty record?" kind of way.

Dunno. It's in my download list for this week so it'll get another run or two. But not for me thus far.

Novelty might be a bit cruel because they make bloody good music, but they're definitely having a bit of a laugh nowadays. I think they were on the last album too but that was less funny for everyone not in the band. Fun or not though, I think they properly nail it on Hang; been listening to it a couple of times a day since release.

On a similar note, how has nobody posted this?

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

First impressions; music by Billy Joel, lyrics by Adrian Mole.

Video directed by Adam Curtis.

I think it's splendid and I hope the album is that x12. Feel as if Honeybear was more of a honeytrap for all us chuckling fools to be reminded how shit the world is, but it's entirely appropriate at this point.

27 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

On a similar note, how has nobody posted this?

That, was bloody marvellous. Best 6 minutes 26 seconds I've had in a long time (don't tell the misses!)  

Wonderfully powerful yet ever so appropriate lyrics, and a brilliantly shot and edited video. 

Bravo Father JM, Bravo. 

Edited by st dan

I am probably weeks late compared to most on here, but has Joe Goddard been mentioned?

His new stuff has been ace so far and I can't wait for the album. 

Do peeps think there is any chance of him popping up at Glasto?

Edited by eastynh

Well it's certainly getting some love on here so I'll have another go.

My prediction is that, as a result of this thread, I'll convince myself that I really enjoy it, get excited when they confirm for Glastonbury, then 10 minutes into their set I'll realise I just succumbed to efests peer pressure and I'm actually bored shitless! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Well it's certainly getting some love on here so I'll have another go.

My prediction is that, as a result of this thread, I'll convince myself that I really enjoy it, get excited when they confirm for Glastonbury, then 10 minutes into their set I'll realise I just succumbed to efests peer pressure and I'm actually bored shitless! :lol:

If it helps any, even if you do grow to like them, don't get excited for them even if they do get announced for Glastonbury. They were absolutely awful when I saw them at Primavera. Just a total car crash

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I am probably weeks late compared to most on here, but has Joe Goddard been mentioned?

His new stuff has been ace so far and I can't wait for the album. 

Do peeps think there is any chance of him popping up at Glasto?

Probably exceptionally high. The Park maybe? Probably a set in the crows nest and 74 dj sets in all the far reach corners of the festival too 

Hang is bloody magical. Over the top, sure, but with GREAT pop hooks and just an infectious kind of ludicrous joy. It's a shame it falls off at the end, though, the style doesnt really carry over to slower tracks like Trauma and Rise Up so they just feel a bit bloated and dull so quite often I'll just turn off after On Lakershim. The 5-song EP you're left with is brilliant, but does leave you wishing there was more of it. Still the best thing released so far this year despite that.

Am listening to the Foxygen album due to the comments here. Have only made it 2 songs in but am compelled to comment.

Avalon seems to have the ability to go through the sounds of Abba, Bowie, Springsteen (&ESB), a Toy Story theme song and a big West End number. I'm not sure if I love it or not. But it is quite something.

26 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Am listening to the Foxygen album due to the comments here. Have only made it 2 songs in but am compelled to comment.

Avalon seems to have the ability to go through the sounds of Abba, Bowie, Springsteen (&ESB), a Toy Story theme song and a big West End number. I'm not sure if I love it or not. But it is quite something.

Just wait til America, who even knows what's happening on that one! The album's at its best in those moments where it all comes together into something bizarrely brilliant. I think my favourite moment on the whole record is those huge slowed drums that lead into the second chorus of Avalon.

Enjoying that Cherry Glazerr album, didn't think much of them from another album I'd heard last year (seems to have been taken off spotify)

Ty Segall's and Sleaford Mods' albums have both leaked so looking forward to those. The Mods just keep getting better, I Can Tell off their last EP might be my favorite song from them. Anyone struggling to get into them go and see them live, hopefully they'll be back at the farm this year after seemingly enjoying their set last time (despite some of the stuff they said ahah)

5 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Enjoying that Cherry Glazerr album, didn't think much of them from another album I'd heard last year (seems to have been taken off spotify)

Ty Segall's and Sleaford Mods' albums have both leaked so looking forward to those. The Mods just keep getting better, I Can Tell off their last EP might be my favorite song from them. Anyone struggling to get into them go and see them live, hopefully they'll be back at the farm this year after seemingly enjoying their set last time (despite some of the stuff they said ahah)

Saw SF for the first time on their tour at the tail end of last year and was completely blown away. He's one of the most entrancing, entertaining and downright impressive front men I've ever seen. Wasn't sure what to expect with such a minimal set up on a relatively big stage, but fuck me does he fill it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Yea thats probably my favorite album so far 2017. Reminds me of karin dreijer from the Knife.. not the music but her voice.. good stuff

http://pitchfork.com/news/70869-father-john-misty-announces-new-album-pure-comedy-shares-short-film-watch/?mbid=social_facebook

New Father John Misty album officially announced. The title track is amazing so fingers crossed the rest is of the same quality. Surely guaranteed a decent place on this years lineup

edit: and here's the accompanying 25 minute film

Edited by FloorFiller
  • Upvote 1