2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

24 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Really can't bear FJM's plodding joyless #madeuthink hand-wringing new stuff. I'm surprised at the love it's getting on here and pretty much everywhere else. Tuneless white middle class guilt.

I think that, in not as many long words. 

2 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

By Depeche Modes standards its nothing new. It just seems like they are playing at being Depeche Mode these days. 

It is an ok song. I much prefer this to fodder which is clogging up the charts now. From first listen, I like it more than New Orders return with Restless (although I had heard Plastic and Singularity before Restless so knew New Order had more in the tank).

I don't think it is going to be top of my Depeche Mode playlist, yet I appreciate they are no longer going to reach the heights that they once tread.

Will give it a few more listens on a proper system when I get home from work tonight. The hard thing is to not compare it to their previous work and judge it on its own individual merits. First impressions though is that it is a 6.5 out of 10 tune.

Its nice to have them back regardless.

Edited by eastynh

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

By Depeche Modes standards its nothing new. It just seems like they are playing at being Depeche Mode these days. 

It is an ok song. I much prefer this to fodder which is clogging up the charts now. From first listen, I like it more than New Orders return with Restless (although I had heard Plastic and Singularity before Restless so knew New Order had more in the tank).

I don't think it is going to be top of my Depeche Mode playlist, yet I appreciate they are no longer going to reach the heights that they once tread.

Will give it a few more listens on a proper system when I get home from work tonight. The hard thing is to not compare it to their previous work and judge it on its own individual merits. First impressions though is that it is a 6.5 out of 10 tune.

Its nice to have them back regardless.

I think 6.5 is pushing it a bit. After a few listens it is not all that really. 

Depeche Mode are at their best when they are a bit dark, sinister, seedy and pervy. This song is none of them things.

Edited by eastynh

On 2/1/2017 at 7:53 AM, FloorFiller said:

New Future Islands album The Far Field out in April, and new song here:

Honestly wasn't expecting much from this and thought I'd kind of lose interest but I really like it. Not a big reinvention or anything but a great little tune. Shame they won't be at the farm.

Loving those two new songs also, especially the title track.

They won't?  What have I missed?  

The song though, it sounds like Future Islands, that's for sure.  If you liked the other stuff, you'll like this.  If you didn't, you won't.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

They won't?  What have I missed?  

The song though, it sounds like Future Islands, that's for sure.  If you liked the other stuff, you'll like this.  If you didn't, you won't.

They are an exclusive at Green Man I believe.

7 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Father John Misty was on 6music today, played two of the new tracks and hinted at tour dates, from his website he is playing a fest in Norway on 21st June so likely to be in Europe for Glastonbury Weekend, fingers crossed!

I miss the old FJM! He wouldn't be hinting at tour dates like a goddamn square, he'd be making those two self-parody, washed-up, never-was, tragic, middle-aged, smugfuck, inbred, eejits, Radcliffe and Marconie stammer and wet themselves. Father John Misty of less than a year ago, where are you now?

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I miss the old FJM! He wouldn't be hinting at tour dates like a goddamn square, he'd be making those two self-parody, washed-up, never-was, tragic, middle-aged, smugfuck, inbred, eejits, Radcliffe and Marconie stammer and wet themselves. Father John Misty of less than a year ago, where are you now?

I knew very little of him until my musically trustworthy friend suggested we see him at the park in 2015, he was so marvellous I cried, which may have also been due to his set coinciding with my comedown, but even so I love him now and he can do little wrong in my eyes, his self indulgent 25 minute ablum accompanying film brightened my week. I also oh you a mighty big thanks (I think t was you who mentioned him) as I listened to Sufjan Stevens for the first time and I'm hooked!

13 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I don't know how you think he came across as anything other than a total w*nker in that interview. So desperate to sound erudite it took him several seconds to get think of the next word of his humourless irony about self-commodification.

17 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Realise I'm behind the times here but I've been listening to that Cherry Glazerr album this afternoon - cracking. Really like it

In that song they've been playing a lot on 6music, Nurse Ratched I think, she says "supposebly". Can't deal with it.

On first listen I wasn't that into the Julie Byrne album but listened to it again last night and twice again today and much more impressed with it, must just have not been in the right mood for it first time round. There's still not been an outstanding album for me so far but a solid start with good albums from The xx, Japandroids (this has grew on me loads), Cloud Nothings, Bonobo, Tracey Chattaway and now Julie Byrne as well as load of others which have been quite enjoyable too.

2 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

On first listen I wasn't that into the Julie Byrne album but listened to it again last night and twice again today and much more impressed with it, must just have not been in the right mood for it first time round. There's still not been an outstanding album for me so far but a solid start with good albums from The xx, Japandroids (this has grew on me loads), Cloud Nothings, Bonobo, Tracey Chattaway and now Julie Byrne as well as load of others which have been quite enjoyable too.

The xx one just isn't doing it for me. It's not bad, but I've got no urge to listen again.

Gave Japandroids a go on Friday, loving that one having never listened to them before.

Bonobo, Sohn, Sundara Karma, Foxygen and Future Dub Orchestra getting a lot of airtime so far.

RTJ and Flaming Lips are growing on me.