2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

9 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Los Campesinos! - Sick Scenes has been posted today. When it arrives I'll post my thoughts. I'm excited for this.

Stoked! Hadn't listened to them for quite some time but stuck No Blues on the other day and remembered why I love them so much - hope this new one is as good. 

new Tim Darcy album is interesting. He's the lead singer of Ought, who I think are one of the most interesting new bands around and have two very solid records under their belt. This Tim Darcy album though is far more experimental, I'm glad that he's changed up the sound to make it doesnt just sound like another Ought album but I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet

The Maggie Rogers EP is great, early Park would be a good start to my day. 

Also just watched the Stormzy Radio 1 video. I prefer the studio version but the live band still works really well. Looking forward to the album! 

Edited by nikkic

43 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

There's a new Lana Del Rey song on Apple Music called Love. It's not up there with her best but seems like an improvement on the last album which i didn't really enjoy at all.

Really? Thought it was her best to date - or the one that's most consistently of a high level. Tho I moved past it pretty quickly because she barely seemed to promote it at all.

New song is straight up fantastic. Love that.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Really? Thought it was her best to date - or the one that's most consistently of a high level. Tho I moved past it pretty quickly because she barely seemed to promote it at all.

New song is straight up fantastic. Love that.

I might go back to it next week now you've said that but i remember not enjoying the singles from it then couldn't get into the album although tbf I never gave it much of a chance. The lack of promotion you mentioned probably didn't help either. Listened to the new one a few times now and it'd definitely growing on me so hopefully that bodes well.

Just now, briddj said:

Friendly Fires are finally towards the end of finishing their new album. It's only been six years! With next year being fallow, I'd expect them to make an appearance somewhere for certain if the album is out by the summer.

Where've you heard this? Tbh I'd assumed they'd quietly broken up, or at least weren't gonna do anything for a long time. Remember them saying they were gonna have a big change of direction for the new one some time back - wonder if they've stuck to it. Either way I'm stoked if this is true.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Where've you heard this? Tbh I'd assumed they'd quietly broken up, or at least weren't gonna do anything for a long time. Remember them saying they were gonna have a big change of direction for the new one some time back - wonder if they've stuck to it. Either way I'm stoked if this is true.

• Upvote 1

I fear new friendly fires material could see them slip into a bit of obscurity - they strike me as an act that were very much of their time and that time was 5-10 years ago.

Although if they are saying it will be a big change of direction maybe they are aware of this.

29 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I fear new friendly fires material could see them slip into a bit of obscurity - they strike me as an act that were very much of their time and that time was 5-10 years ago.

Although if they are saying it will be a big change of direction maybe they are aware of this.

In the interview he says that's why they've been away so long, as there was no place for their music over the intervening six years.