2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

Been absolutely dreadful on the music front recently.  However Mrs Q is out tonight and away tomorrow and tomorrrow night so I think I'm going to get some beers, a pizza and the Sonos, run through this thread and listen to a shitload of new stuff.

Also finally catch up on my Glasto playlist.

Damn it I want pizza now but I had pizza Tuesday.

The Stormzy record is so strong. If Konnichiwa won a Mercury then this deserves at least Venus or Earth or something.

Lot of love for the Los Camp joint too although the best song was the lead single which is always an annoying turn of events. Fall of Home is heartbreaking.

Dreadzone has new album out.. Top of the range.. Seeing them on the 3rd..some twats stole Mc Spee's stick at a gig... Good thing was a new one was being made for him by some great beans. I had the pleasure of donating towards it but there are some lovely bloody people out there. . A friend presented it to him tother day.. I saw the pictures as it was being done but can't wait to see it in person.. 

Fucking great album and got into top 40 today check it out yea and I'm really hoping there at Glastonbury again it's like a ritual to get some Dread love. 

received_10206305173706512.jpeg

received_10206305173666511.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 24/02/2017 at 4:31 PM, dentalplan said:

Damn it I want pizza now but I had pizza Tuesday.

The Stormzy record is so strong. If Konnichiwa won a Mercury then this deserves at least Venus or Earth or something.

Lot of love for the Los Camp joint too although the best song was the lead single which is always an annoying turn of events. Fall of Home is heartbreaking.

Yeah the new Stormzy is really impressive, I'm pleasantly surprised. Mr Skeng, Bad Boys and First Things First are particular highlights for me.

Had the Sacred Paws album on this morning, hadn't heard of them until they were added to the bill for the 6 music fest, what a great record. Can see me dancing an uncoordinated merry jig to them in a few weeks.

Thundercat - not so sure, don't think it's for me. Will give it another listen though before making a final decision.

3 listens in to Sick Scenes, I find it to be witty, catchy, frantic, and with more love and enthusiasm poured into every second of the writing and performance than most bands muster across their entire career. The thing is though, that's all par for the course for every Los Campesinos! record. So when you stack it up to the rest of their back catalogue, what sticks out is that it's pretty fucking bleak. Misery is their prime currency, but it's usually buoyed by a massive amount of melodrama and ends up being pretty uplifting. Here my initial take home thoughts are; Gareth, u ok hun?

A few more listens of Sick Scenes today. It's very good, but it's punishingly bleak. If Gareth hadn't seemed very chipper at Us Vs Them and said on stage that he's currently in a relationship, I'd be driving down to Cardiff right now to keep him from going over the edge. A Slow Slow Death into The Fall Of Home is peak quarter life crisis/millenial "everything is fucked and there's no hope" outlook; maybe too close to the bone, that despair is real.

On 24 February 2017 at 11:29 PM, guypjfreak said:

Dreadzone has new album out.. Top of the range.. Seeing them on the 3rd..some twats stole Mc Spee's stick at a gig... Good thing was a new one was being made for him by some great beans. I had the pleasure of donating towards it but there are some lovely bloody people out there. . A friend presented it to him tother day.. I saw the pictures as it was being done but can't wait to see it in person.. 

Fucking great album and got into top 40 today check it out yea and I'm really hoping there at Glastonbury again it's like a ritual to get some Dread love. 

received_10206305173706512.jpeg

received_10206305173666511.jpeg

I'm all over it dude, it's flipping brilliant isn't it. I can't stop listening to it. I tweeted them bigging it up and said see you at bearded theory and Glastonbury. They liked it. So I'm saying that's a self confirm :-) pretty sure they'll be there. They usually are.

16 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

A few more listens of Sick Scenes today. It's very good, but it's punishingly bleak. If Gareth hadn't seemed very chipper at Us Vs Them and said on stage that he's currently in a relationship, I'd be driving down to Cardiff right now to keep him from going over the edge. A Slow Slow Death into The Fall Of Home is peak quarter life crisis/millenial "everything is fucked and there's no hope" outlook; maybe too close to the bone, that despair is real.

First album of theirs I've listened to, really enjoying it. Enjoy the bleakness. Not sure how this band escaped my attention, you're ordeal with the postman certainly got my attention though.

In other news the fairly recent animal collective EP is difficult to get my head round, Kinda bonkers is decent enough, but the other three tracks are just ???

Also I cannot get enough of that new Laura Carbone track!

Edited by alien

On 26/02/2017 at 11:50 AM, Mouseboy11 said:

Yeah the new Stormzy is really impressive, I'm pleasantly surprised. Mr Skeng, Bad Boys and First Things First are particular highlights for me.

Not a fan. Wiley still has the best 'grime' album of this year.

On 26/02/2017 at 0:33 PM, SwedgeAntilles said:

Had the Sacred Paws album on this morning, hadn't heard of them until they were added to the bill for the 6 music fest, what a great record. Can see me dancing an uncoordinated merry jig to them in a few weeks.

Thundercat - not so sure, don't think it's for me. Will give it another listen though before making a final decision.

Agreed on both counts. And thankyou for mentioning Sacred Paws. Wouldnt have heard it otherwise.

2 hours ago, DavisO89 said:

New Tall Ships out soon. Everything Touching was my AOTY in 2012 so I have high hopes for Impressions. Would love to see them at Glastonbury this year, early Park would be lovely! 

I didn't think the album lived up to the promise of the early ep/singles, and I'm not too sure about the single from the new one BUT they are great live and thoroughly nice chaps so I'm hoping they make the Farm too.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, kingcrawler said:
New song from The Districts. They were good when they played a couple of years ago, would be nice to see them turn up again.

YES!! The last album was sublime, so fingers crossed for new material that's on a similar level.

I'm not so sure on the Stormzy album after the first listen - a bit overlong and 'pop' for me. The best moments are the more aggressive ones, but not enough of them for me. Will give it another few spins.