Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you don't think Adele is big enough / or got enough material to headline you're seriously just out of touch with what is popular.

Yes i'm bringing up sales, I can't think of an act which has a greater anticipated comeback than her. Acts have literally delayed and even cancelled their album releases for the end of this year because they know new Adele material is coming. If you don't believe me look it up, Adele is expected to be releasing on the 20th of November and both One Direction and Justin Bieber (whom are big album sellers), along with other acts like Kylie (I think) are all releasing on the same day the week before - why would they do that? Because they know and the industry knows that Adele will dominate the end of 2015.

Tickets for her tour will fly and 'Adele at Glastonbury' will garner a huge audience. It doesn't matter about Festival setting or whether you think her music suits a headline slot - it's either headline or not happening.

Dental hates when I bring up sales but the girl sold 60 million albums in four years! Sales do reflect popularity and size in that matter - and it's not comparable to any other artist because they don't even touch the magnitude that Adele has. She's a unique being in entertainment, and i'm not even a fan it's just a fact.

I'd love to see Adele on the Pyramid stage.  She's one great talents of her generation, and for as popular/successful as she as, comparatively few people have gotten to see her perform live. 

I think people would be way more receptive of her if the other two headliners were more interesting than Foo Fighters and Coldplay.

if you don't think Adele is big enough / or got enough material to headline you're seriously just out of touch with what is popular.

Yes i'm bringing up sales, I can't think of an act which has a greater anticipated comeback than her. Acts have literally delayed and even cancelled their album releases for the end of this year because they know new Adele material is coming. If you don't believe me look it up, Adele is expected to be releasing on the 20th of November and both One Direction and Justin Bieber (whom are big album sellers), along with other acts like Kylie (I think) are all releasing on the same day the week before - why would they do that? Because they know and the industry knows that Adele will dominate the end of 2015.

Tickets for her tour will fly and 'Adele at Glastonbury' will garner a huge audience. It doesn't matter about Festival setting or whether you think her music suits a headline slot - it's either headline or not happening.

Dental hates when I bring up sales but the girl sold 60 million albums in four years! Sales do reflect popularity and size in that matter - and it's not comparable to any other artist because they don't even touch the magnitude that Adele has. She's a unique being in entertainment, and i'm not even a fan it's just a fact.

How many albums has she sold compared to Die Hard 3's box office takings? There's always a bigger fish, Matt.

The radio in my wife's car is permanently tuned to heart fm, anytime I'm in it I play the Adele game, it comes in 2 parts, how many songs from when you first start listening until they play Adele, no more the 4 at most, then how many songs between Adele songs, 10 at very most. She must be popular or cheap.

im not an Adele lover or hater but I swear that one of hers with the long ooooooooooooos every 5 seconds is like fingernails down a blackboard to me, is it just me or is she out of tune?

How many albums has she sold compared to Die Hard 3's box office takings? There's always a bigger fish, Matt.

I got curious so ran the numbers on that... and it's a really really bad example.

Die Hard 3 had a worldwide box office gross of just over $100 million worldwide on a budget of $90 million

Adele has apparently sold over 37 million albums worldwide.. So as long as the average price paid was over $3 (£2), then she's way ahead.. Even more so if you assume that her recording budget was somewhat less than $90 million.

edit: To correct myself and render most of the above bollocks.. $100 million was the US Domestic gross, $266 million was worldwide. It's still a hell of a lot closer than I or I suspect most on here would expect though.

Edited by incident

It's also worth noting on the sales thing, that fairly huge acts are moving their album release dates to avoid going up against her. She's absolutely mammoth.

Unconfirmed but it's believed Emily Sande, Rihanna, Eminem, Lady Gaga, Drake (potentially), Kanye West etc were all scheduling late 2015 releases but have pushed / scrapped them because Adele would either block their chances at #1 or overshadow their release.

Also as I said - the fact two of the biggest Teen Hearthrob acts (One Direction and Justin Bieber) in the world are releasing on the same week goes to show that they'd rather compete with each other than Adele. 

Edited by Matt42

I can't see Adele doing it, I'd be pretty amazed if they got her. Would make resale near impossible I reckon. As others have said, 'not liking big gigs' to Saturday night at Glastonbury is a big leap.

Coldplay, Adele and Foo Fighters is particularly beige but its early days. When was the last time we knew the headliners this early? Think there may be a few developments/changes. 

I can't see Adele doing it, I'd be pretty amazed if they got her. Would make resale near impossible I reckon. As others have said, 'not liking big gigs' to Saturday night at Glastonbury is a big leap.

Coldplay, Adele and Foo Fighters is particularly beige but its early days. When was the last time we knew the headliners this early? Think there may be a few developments/changes. 

There will certainly be developments as the Coldplay article states itself that "the only matter remaining is who takes the hallowed Saturday night slot" so that's still up in the air, though if anyone has logged on today and not seen The Sun's article then I can't blame them for thinking it's more than that because the author's guess at the remaining one - Adele - is the only one being talked about. And the Adele rumours will only intensify over the next few months when she's all over the TV, radio, newspapers, everything. It'll be a long winter if you're not a fan; unless you buy your Die Hard box set from the links at the top of the page.

Edited by dentalplan

There will certainly be developments as the Coldplay article states itself that "the only matter remaining is who takes the hallowed Saturday night slot" so that's still up in the air, though if anyone has logged on today and not seen The Sun's article then I can't blame them for thinking it's more than that because the author's guess at the remaining one - Adele - is the only one being talked about. And the Adele rumours will only intensify over the next few months when she's all over the TV, radio, newspapers, everything. It'll be a long winter if you're not a fan; unless you buy your Die Hard box set from the links at the top of the page.

It'll be a nice change from Taylor Swift I guess.

Of the headliners rumoured (Foos, Adele, Coldplay), I am 99% certain to not be at the Pyramid for any headliner. The only one I might stick around for out of curiosity would be Adele.

I have seen the Foo Fighters who were alright, but nothing more and I have no desire to watch Coldplay whatsoever.

It would all depend on where I was before her and who she clashed with. I can't say I am much of a fan and I only know about 4 songs so if there is a clash, she would lose out.  If she was on earlier, she is the kind of act I would definitely give a go to, but by headliner time I want something a bit more lively.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

so why dont you think bieber or one direction are likely then, if it's all about album sales?

i know i'm probably stating the obvious (and certainly not disagreeing with what you say), but right now any Adele rumours could just be a bit of PR for her.  she's back into public consciousness with a new album, so getting her name out and about will be part of the planned publicity.  a Glasto headline story, be it true or otherwise, will, in a small part, do just that.  it'll suggest to people that Adele may be touring next year too.

for example, there's a whole load of non-Sun readers here talking about an Adele story from the Sun.  that's good PR work, i'd say.

Edited by fatyeti24

You couldn't be more right Nal. I'm sure that in the other 998+ acts there will be some absolute gems, but I wouldn't like to miss out on a rare elusive big name headliner. Coldplay and Adele for me, aren't.

Ah getcha yeah. In fairness though, Adele is a rare elusive big name headliner!

Could have got a ticket....did'nt   now I'm gutted as I think Rod Stewart and the Faces are going to do it?

Hes doing his own poop shows next summer, sans Faces.

I got curious so ran the numbers on that... and it's a really really bad example.

Die Hard 3 had a worldwide box office gross of just over $100 million worldwide on a budget of $90 million

Adele has apparently sold over 37 million albums worldwide.. So as long as the average price paid was over $3 (£2), then she's way ahead.. Even more so if you assume that her recording budget was somewhat less than $90 million.

edit: To correct myself and render most of the above bollocks.. $100 million was the US Domestic gross, $266 million was worldwide. It's still a hell of a lot closer than I or I suspect most on here would expect though.

how does she compare to Police Academy 6?