Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I accepted that Coldplay were going to headline next year pretty much on the way home from this year's festival. I am at peace with it.

There'll be something good on elsewhere.

Spot on, i certainly didn't regret not watching The Who close the festival last year as Chem Bros were incredible, more of the same from someone else this year, it's now time to think of suitable alternative 

(that's presuming the fuckin sun is right) 

fingers crossed this turns out like the Fleetwood Mac, Elbow, Depeche Mode fiasco of 2014 (in that it proves to be utter bollocks), although Foos, Adele, Coldplay seems far more likely than that ever did. dang, i wonder who the third headliner would've been if Foos hadn't pulled out last year (if they are in fact one of the headliners this year)

For me it's more the fact that it'll be 4 times in 14 years, with 2 other appearances too, rather than the fact it's boring coldplay.

Even if it's your favourite band, no-one wants to see them there every 3 years do they? But I suppose a lot of people will be going to the festival for the first time so the amount of times they've played before doesnt make any difference to them.

Bloody coldplay though, ugh. It's not like their latest album was even well received.

This shows a lack of imagination, and a lack of confidence that the festival can survive without stellar headliners. Understandable I suppose, as it's their festival on the line, not mine.

Pretty much my thoughts.

I do like Coldplay but find this whole repeating of headliners extremely mundane.

I don't blame the band for wanting to come back as I'm assuming playing a festival you hold close to your heart creates a buzz/high you can't get from any other show.

No fucking way it's Coldplay Adele and Foo Fighters. Such an uninspired set.

it would be 3 extremely busy pyramid fields, and that's what it's all about isn't it?

whether wr all think it's boring or not, it's about entertaining the masses, and that certainly would achieve that

there will be plenty to enjoy elsewhere 

Edited by Mezhyp1

it would be 3 extremely busy pyramid fields, and that's what it's all about isn't it?

whether wr all think it's boring or not, it's about entertaining the masses, and that certainly would achieve that

theyll be plenty to enjoy elsewhere 

Yeah, that's about the size of it - there was all the same complaints when Coldplay played last time, and the time before that.

But ultimately, enough people went to see them to more than justify the booking, and probably will again. I'm pretty sure that in 2011 they got the largest crowd of the 3 headliners.

there will be plenty to enjoy elsewhere 

probably the busiest the Pyramid field has been for the three consecutive headliners - each one will most likely pull a bigger crowd than any of last years did. would just be a shame to not have at least one Pyramid headliner to be massively excited about (i'd go see Foos out of the three, but hard to get that excited over that really)

Um.

"Coldplay are reportedly set to headline Glastonbury for the fourth time.

The 'A Sky Full of Stars' hitmakers are said to have been signed up by organiser Michael Eavis to close the legendary music festival on the Sunday night, making them the first ever act to headline more than three times"

In my opinion I wouldn't mind coldplay since this is my first Glastonbury and I'm yet to see them, whether that source is true I don't know.

Does anyone actually like Coldplay. It's a bit like supporting the Conservatives, not many people will publicly admit to it (and those that do are generally tools) but their records still sell by the bucketload/they win general elections.

It's an absolute mystery to me.

I don't mind them at all.* 1 great album, 2 decent, 2 meh and 1 shite.

I really enjoyed them in 2011 and would probably watch them again if nothing else drags me away.

Not an inspiration booking though.

*prepares to be called a c**t.

Disappointing, but not unexpected.

Here's hoping for something completely different on one of the other stages (I'm thinking Underworld, Chic or something else along the lines of dance/disco). If the alternative is something else MOR, like Kings of fucking Leon or the like, it'll be an evening at the Stone Circle. Wouldn't be too bad actually...

I reckon that's simply due to a lack of surprise. Even though they didn't play this year, it still feels like a repeat booking (if you know what I mean). I don't begrudge it anywhere near as much as Coldplay!

I see. Think people do forget it's an absolutely huge band that's never played the festival and I don't really see a problem with their booking. They may have played a shit load of festivals before but it doesn't seem like a lot of Glastonbury folk keep track of what goes on with other festivals anyway so that shouldn't matter. :P

If it does turn out to be those three then it seems like the (intended) headliners for the last couple of years before the last fallow year where they have a couple of massive acts new to the festival and a safe, uninspired repeat. Can't really complain that much about the new ones.

Expected them more than anybody else until Neil's Foos info, so can't get too disappointed.

First few albums are good, they look good live and I've never seen them. Will be hoping for a more enjoyable alternative but in reality I wouldn't mind watching them. Same as my thoughts when they went TBC last year.

I'd watch Foos (unless there was a crazy good alternative) but wouldn't watch Adele.

But where is Radiohead? Probably illegal to book both them and Coldplay for a festival because suicide rates.