Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember it was The Sun who broke the news that it was The Who headlining this year so possibly correct.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/6690360/Coldplay-headline-act-at-Glastonbury-for-fourth-time.html

If he's wrong, he'll look a little silly, because there's no maybes here, it's Coldplay 

I fucking hate The Sun too

I reckon there is a fair chance of it being right, but I don't give any credence to the scum as a font of knowledge, they have got it right a couple of times but wrong many, many more. 

I pretty much wrote them off as a waste of a headliner slot in 2011, then ended up staying after elbow (I was on crutches is my excuse) and they did a fantastic job, with some of the best effects the field has seen and an enthusiastic set from a band who know what a festival audience want and did the full greatest hits run out without leaning heavily on the new material.

I reckon there is a fair chance of it being right, but I don't give any credence to the scum as a font of knowledge, they have got it right a couple of times but wrong many, many more. 

I pretty much wrote them off as a waste of a headliner slot in 2011, then ended up staying after elbow (I was on crutches is my excuse) and they did a fantastic job, with some of the best effects the field has seen and an enthusiastic set from a band who know what a festival audience want and did the full greatest hits run out without leaning heavily on the new material.

For me it's more the fact that it'll be 4 times in 14 years, with 2 other appearances too, rather than the fact it's boring coldplay.

Even if it's your favourite band, no-one wants to see them there every 3 years do they? But I suppose a lot of people will be going to the festival for the first time so the amount of times they've played before doesnt make any difference to them.

Bloody coldplay though, ugh. It's not like their latest album was even well received.

This shows a lack of imagination, and a lack of confidence that the festival can survive without stellar headliners. Understandable I suppose, as it's their festival on the line, not mine.

no doubt that they'll put on a fantastic show (and something about them closing out the festival seems so right, especially if the rumours of them pissing off for a long time after this album are true) but i was really hoping they wouldn't be one of the headliners. they were always likely though what with a new album out and it being more than three years since they last did it. fingers crossed for a good alternative on the Other

god i hope the rumours of Adele headlining prove to be bollocks, because Foos, Adele, Coldplay is a dire dire prospect. no wildcards here, that's for sure.

also, even though their music is a million miles apart, i can't see Coldplay and Radiohead playing the same year (maybe due to the mopiness of it all) so there's that dream slipping further away...

I'm a fan and they are excellent live, so happy for them to play again. I just hope the new album is alright - the last one was rather poor.

Radiohead need to be there though. Surely their time is now!

Edited by Lubic87

For me it's more the fact that it'll be 4 times in 14 years, with 2 other appearances too, rather than the fact it's boring coldplay.

Even if it's your favourite band, no-one wants to see them there every 3 years do they? But I suppose a lot of people will be going to the festival for the first time so the amount of times they've played before doesnt make any difference to them.

Bloody coldplay though, ugh. It's not like their latest album was even well received.

This shows a lack of imagination, and a lack of confidence that the festival can survive without stellar headliners. Understandable I suppose, as it's their festival on the line, not mine.

Pretty much word for word what I was saying about them before 2011. I agree with all of it.  I still enjoyed them, against my better judgement.  Similarly if Muse return I'd be making the same complaints (and let's be honest, that's not out of the question either).

Think you have hit the nail on the head with comment about first timers.

I am not a big fan of Coldplay but would be happy to see them headline at my second festival as would not go and see them otherwise. Guess  the bookers have to balance the desires of the newbies against the veterans wishes. without knowing the breakdown( they must be able to analyse this what with the registration numbers etc) i would guess newish attendees would outnumber vets. Also I guess the BBC would like at least 1 headliner a year that will draw a big tv audience. Presumably Coldplay would fit that requirement.Plenty of imagination on other stages so hopefully all win in the end!

Pretty much word for word what I was saying about them before 2011. I agree with all of it.  I still enjoyed them, against my better judgement.  Similarly if Muse return I'd be making the same complaints (and let's be honest, that's not out of the question either).

That's the thing they have going for them.  Everyone said they were such a boring insipid choice, but after the festival, plenty of their detractors admitted they had done a good job.

I don't like Coldplay.  I wasn't even at the festival that year, but even from the little I saw on the telly in the pub I could tell they had done about as good a performance as you could if you have to play Coldplay music!  Yes, it's a dull choice, but somehow it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as last year.  Maybe that's because at that point we didn't know about The Who being asked to cancel some shows to do a repeat of 2007.  Coldplay seems more acceptable in that light.

Very doubtful I'll be there mind, but as for the Coldplay fans, particularly those who've not seen them at the Pyramid before - they're likely to have a good time.

Does anyone actually like Coldplay. It's a bit like supporting the Conservatives, not many people will publicly admit to it (and those that do are generally tools) but their records still sell by the bucketload/they win general elections.

It's an absolute mystery to me.

Adele, I don't like her, but it would be a break from the norm. I don't mind that. Not many festivals would risk having Metallica - Kaye West - Adele as headliners in 3 straight years.

Coldplay though? Seriously?! Anyone else would do me. I don't have to be at the stage (and I won't be), but to keep picking them is a disappointment.

Hopefully one of the other 100 stages will have something for me to enjoy.....

I thought Adele was scared of big live performances? I hope she gets really drunk to calm her nerves, sings fantastically but in between songs hurls obscene abuse at the cows

i think her being scared of huge crowds has been widely over exaggerated, and besides - she's one of the biggest acts in the world. she's gonna need to perform to gigantic audiences somewhere along the line, unless she'd rather just play 365 smaller instant sell out shows a year to accommodate all her fans

Does anyone actually like Coldplay. It's a bit like supporting the Conservatives, not many people will publicly admit to it (and those that do are generally tools) but their records still sell by the bucketload/they win general elections.

It's an absolute mystery to me.

They've sold 80 million records. The worlds a fucked up place. We live in a world where someone shot John Lennon. Nothing surprises me.