Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classic, legendary acts are too old and irrelevant, whereas younger untested acts don't have the back catalogue or experience.

Non mainstream acts are too experimental and obscure, whereas well known popular acts are too accessible and middle of the road.

Non rock acts are alienating for those of a conservative palate, whereas rock acts deter those who gravitate towards something more sonically adventurous.

I therefore surmise that the perfect Glastonbury Pyramid Performer is:

c3ad0d3ff95beeab83b557e9257bd4f4.417x396

Father John misty?

In the Q&A this year ME said the number of likely headliners in the world was tiny and would "fit on the back of a fag packet" or words to that effect. He also despondently admitted that they do try to get Prince every year and fail and that Fleetwood Mac just wanted more money than he could afford and still balance the books.

In the Q&A this year ME said the number of likely headliners in the world was tiny and would "fit on the back of a fag packet"

10 pack or 20 pack?

Get used to that kind of rhetoric once again this year and beyond. It's been apparent that ever since the Beyonce announcement in 2011, in conjunction with the growth of social media people see fit to find something to complain about with regards to the headliner(s).

Beyonce being booked was a nail in the coffin of the festival. A temporary wooden nail, but a nail nonetheless. It took 3 festivals to recover from her. It drastically changed the crowd and the atmosphere.

Edited by The Nal

10 pack or 20 pack?

Beyonce being booked was a nail in the coffin of the festival. A temporary wooden nail, but a nail nonetheless. It took 3 festivals to recover from her. It drastically changed the crowd and the atmosphere.

I don't follow this at all. So the 2013 and 2014 festivals were write-offs because of Beyonce?

A potentially retractable nail in the coffin.

I don't follow this at all. So the 2013 and 2014 festivals were write-offs because of Beyonce?

Nah but there were a right few c**ts there those years. Seem to remember people saying 13 was far from a vintage year on here aswell. She dragged in a lot of vermin.

Also, I fucking hate Beyonce. So if I could somehow blame her for the holocaust I wouldn't think twice.

Edited by The Nal

A potentially retractable nail in the coffin.

Nah but there were a right few c**ts there those years. Seem to remember people saying 13 was far from a vintage year on here aswell. She dragged in a lot of vermin.

Also, I fucking hate Beyonce. So if I could somehow blame her for the holocaust I wouldn't think twice.

You're spot on. 2013 had some great music, but the worst crowd there's ever been. I went into 2014 T-day not being that bothered if I got tickets or not. That's never happened before or since.

A fair few people on here said the same.

Edited by russycarps

You're spot on. 2013 had some great music, but the worst crowd there's ever been. I went into 2014 T-day not being that bothered if I got tickets or not. That's never happened before or since.

A fair few people on here said the same.

The crime stats don't back this up:

https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/about-us/freedom-of-information/previous-foi-requests/stats-crime/glastonbury-crime-statistics/

Given the difficulty in getting tickets, blaming any shifts in crowd behaviour or demographics due to a performance by a single artist will be pretty spurious.

The crime stats don't back this up:

https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/about-us/freedom-of-information/previous-foi-requests/stats-crime/glastonbury-crime-statistics/

Given the difficulty in getting tickets, blaming any shifts in crowd behaviour or demographics due to a performance by a single artist will be pretty spurious.

well I'm not suggesting they were criminals! just awful c**ts

thankfully nick cave drove most of them away and 2014 was back to normal.

Edited by russycarps

Speaking of Nick Cave; what's he doing next year? I'll take a top four one day of:

Radiohead

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

The National

PJ Harvey

maybe not the national, but I defo think the other 3 could headline. 

As for nick cave, after the tragedy of his sons death I wouldnt be surprised if he is out of the spotlight for a while. The next gig he does will be heartbreaking

As for nick cave, after the tragedy of his sons death I wouldnt be surprised if he is out of the spotlight for a while. The next gig he does will be heartbreaking

You think Nick Cave and PJ Harvey could headline?

Fair enough on the last part. Makes sense.

When you say 'could headline', do you mean that they're musically capable of doing a headline set, or actually big enough to headline the Pyramid?  Because Radiohead are obviously the only band actually big enough to top the bill, surely?

When you say 'could headline', do you mean that they're musically capable of doing a headline set, or actually big enough to headline the Pyramid?  Because Radiohead are obviously the only band actually big enough to top the bill, surely?

Yeah sorry, that's what I mean. They have the songs to pull off a headline gig but would never be given the opportunity (radiohead aside)

He was on a break musically even before that devastating news, I think. I suspect it may even be a case that he goes back to writing before returning to the spotlight.

2013 was a golden year, personally.

2014 was fine, but Arcade Fire's middling performance certainly didn't elevate it to any great extent.

I loved both myself.

I'm referring more to the T in the Park/V Festival types with their selfie sticks, Hunter wellies, Daily Mail "how to dress for a festival" uniforms and jugs of Pimms that people were giving out about. As opposed to the pushing over portaloos door-side-down types.

But 100% Beyonces fault, yep. As was the Greek economic crisis earlier this year. Jury is still out on "the so called Bayonces" involvement with ISIS. But I'm digging for dirt. Will report back asap.

Edit: Yep, her fault aswell.

Edited by The Nal

And you don't think The National could? Most of their festival shows are headline appearances nowadays.

Yeah I guess so. I like them quite a bit, but just find all their albums a bit too samey for them to headline a festival (if I was putting it on).

Obviously they are better than 99% of usual headliners.