Headliners 2016

thewayiam

Whilst it wouldn't be that exciting for me, I think Adele would be a huge booking. Never headlined a major festival before - and has the biggest selling album in the world for the last 15 years.

a complete u turn on this stage fright thing. She'd need to do at least a big arena tour early in the year to get ready for it, and maybe another couple of festivals beforehand. I just don't see it

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, the idea of booking an arena tour and assuming that she'll be fine with that and able to play Glastonbury and other festivals afterwards is a bit of a leap. It is a proper psychological problem she's got, rather than just being unfamiliar with doing it.

The guy at The Sun only suggested her as 'his bet' for the Saturday night slot so I definitely don't see it as credible as the printed article about Coldplay.

a complete u turn on this stage fright thing. She'd need to do at least a big arena tour early in the year to get ready for it, and maybe another couple of festivals beforehand. I just don't see it

tbf, this is just an assumption based on something she said years ago.  she may or may not do a big arena tour, but there's no reason why she should have to.  there will be all sorts of treatments for a condition like that - assuming it was a serious thing in the first place.

why should a tour be a testing ground any more than a Glasto appearance?  a tour will be full of people who have specifically paid to see and hear her.

Is it looking that certain or it is it just tabloid bullshit that people are jumping on the back off?

The Sun seem to have a decent track record at headliners, unless it brings up betting activity or something. They got The Who this year (albeit after it being dismissed by eFestivals for being illogical) so they must have a source that they trust.

Adele is just the writer's opinion though. 

Can someone remind the new guy if there's anything behind the Foo Fighters other than it being an obvious make-up booking?  I assume there must be, but I'm curious what that is.

A friend saw them at a recent show where they said they were "going away for a while," although that doesn't necessarily preclude an appearance next year.

The Sun seem to have a decent track record at headliners, unless it brings up betting activity or something. They got The Who this year (albeit after it being dismissed by eFestivals for being illogical) so they must have a source that they trust.

Adele is just the writer's opinion though. 

The Sun was correct about U2 as well although The Star and I think The Mirror ran the story as well.

I'm not an Adele fan but her booking would be huge. She is one of the biggest female stars in the world and someone who does not play festivals.

Dont think you can describe it as underwhelming just because she isn't your thing. 

Coldplay though is the definition of underwhelming with it happening so much.

Don't get me wrong, She will pull a massive crowd, but I don't see her as a headliner at Glastonbury. Maybe a late afternoon/early evening slot.  I don't tend to sit at the pyramid all day and night anyway. so I'm sure I can find something else to see.

Don't get me wrong, She will pull a massive crowd, but I don't see her as a headliner at Glastonbury. Maybe a late afternoon/early evening slot.  I don't tend to sit at the pyramid all day and night anyway. so I'm sure I can find something else to see.

I agree. I really like Adele but she's too slow and melancholy to be a headliner. Saturday early evening would work? 

No fucking way it's Coldplay Adele and Foo Fighters. Such an uninspired set.

I'd believe the article if it wasn't so early. I think it's The Sun taking some liberties after getting it right with The Who for last year. It all does make sense, but part of me thinks it is wrong just because it is so early

Edited by Acid_Haze

You know, I think you might be onto something. I've always assumed that due to her humongous record sales she could only headline, but is that really so? If she has stage fright, then headlining is no way to go about curing herself. She might prefer to play earlier if at all, and of course it works better musically for her to be on earlier.

Would be true if only 2 bands played. Fortunately theres another 998 acts (or more?) to choose from.

You couldn't be more right Nal. I'm sure that in the other 998+ acts there will be some absolute gems, but I wouldn't like to miss out on a rare elusive big name headliner. Coldplay and Adele for me, aren't.