Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you even begin to defend her words?

You just carry on tugging your forelock to the richies, the rest of us will carry on fighting the battle on your behalf, dont worry.

Of all the comments from all the musicians in the world.....I'm sure there are plenty worse. I guess I'm just a little surprised that you've taken so much offence to this bit. Got anything more recent? :)

I must admit though, if we really have our three headliners already thats months of guessing ruined haha

Foo Fighters, Adele, Coldplay sounds like a real trio - half expecting the Foos to not actually do it, or Coldplay aren't really doing it either

need a shakeup, too early for stuff to be cemented.

It's not going to be Foos. While I don't believe much of what Michael has to say about headliners, I do believe Emily and she said next year's 3 were already booked before Dave's ill timed stage dive.

Thing is, it's entirely possible - likely even - that she could say that, be telling the truth at the time, and for things to have subsequently changed and the Foo Fighters now be playing.

Are the Foos, radiohead, coldplay a bit too similar to be the three headliners? I don't think Adele would do it, madonna maybe but she might be too demanding. Any other solo artists? Ed sheran would cause some moans but he's popular now....elton John? 

Are the Foos, radiohead, coldplay a bit too similar to be the three headliners? I don't think Adele would do it, madonna maybe but she might be too demanding. Any other solo artists? Ed sheran would cause some moans but he's popular now....elton John? 

how the fug are radiohead in any way comparable to those turds?

Are the Foos, radiohead, coldplay a bit too similar to be the three headliners?

No.. If only because the "too similar" thing is a fairly recent complaint. It's only the last few years that people are expecting the Festival to book a different genre each night.

Too similar wasn't a problem when Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen played consecutive nights in 2009 for example, and followed it up with Blur who aren't a million miles away, or the year that both Coldplay and the Streophonics played.

Radiohead dream slowly dying for me - they don't have touring plans, the headliners are presumably booked by now, and the whole Adele, Foos, Coldplay thing is looking more and more realistic. And even if it isn't those three I can't think who other than Radiohead would be an exciting headliner for me. Still, I share the feeling that it's perhaps too early to get comfortable with that and after last year anything could happen.

Of course there'll be plenty else on. And I wouldn't mind seeing Coldplay honestly - used to like them a fair bit when I was younger and before I got suckered into the whole 'music fan' snobbery.

No.. If only because the "too similar" thing is a fairly recent complaint. It's only the last few years that people are expecting the Festival to book a different genre each night.

Too similar wasn't a problem when Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen played consecutive nights in 2009 for example, and followed it up with Blur who aren't a million miles away, or the year that both Coldplay and the Streophonics played.

It was though.  There was loads and loads of grumbling about the youngest act not having released an album for six years.  Michael defended simply by saying that there wasn't really a master plan.  he had the chance to get Neil Young AND Bruce Springsteen in the same year.  They weren't going to wait around until the next year when it would balance the programme better - of course he booked them - it was a great opportunity.  

It's an argument that still holds up today.  The festival isn't quite so in control of its headliners as we might like to think.  It bears repeating that there are only so many bands big+good enough to headline Glastonbury and they're going have to book whoever is available more often than not.

But there was lots of complaining at the time about all the headliners being old white men, this isn't a modern phenomenon.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Bolding.