Hold or give up ticket?

airwaves

Are you keeping your ticket?   

263 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the main poster has dropped are you keeping, not keeping your ticket?

• Intend to give up ticket
    • Undecided - trending to give up
    • Undecided
    • Undecided - trending to probably hold
    • Definitely holding

What's the average percentage of tickets that go back in the pot most years? Got to be 5-10% surely? 

Lives and plans change. Some folk get invited to weddings, book holidays instead or maybe even have financial difficulties through possibly losing their jobs.

I do think the lineup will have put a lot of people off this time though. The general reaction online has been much more negative than the usual moans you get every year.

If you've never been before though there's absolutely no way I'd be throwing it back in the pot. For anyone else there's more of a debate to be had.

13 minutes ago, noose6767 said:

For me it's all about the music and I must admit I'm totally fed up with this lineup so far. For me the drop off in quality on the first poster drop compared to the last time I got tickets (2016) is unreal. Pop/R'n'B is not my thing and the first poster drop is choc full of it. Looks to me like in striving for gender equality the festival is losing diversity of genre. Hoping some more interesting acts get announced before we have to pay the balance, currently trending to give up. 

I think the diversity of genre has gotten much better over the years as well.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

And over the last 3 T Days, at least, I think many/most/all of us have had that terrifying feeling.

Live every moment, team. This ain't for forever, for any of us.

Ben
x

Well said. We are without tickets for the first time since 2015. Hoping for the re-sale, but being realistic!

Don't ever take them for granted!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I definitely wouldn’t give up my ticket even if there were no acts on the poster I wish to see. Even if the impossible happened and there was no music for me, I’d spend the time in Theatre & Cabaret, and go to every bar!

Absolutely. Plus the craft/greenfields. Relax! Do some meditation! Go on the naked trampoline!

Interesting take from some people. I've been 5 times but not since 2016 after multiple failed ticket efforts. Line up not overly attractive to me but it will allow me to explore more than I have ever done. To top it off I think I'm going to take my 10 year old so quite a different experience this year. But I am all for it! It's what makes it such an incredible place.

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Will 100% be paying off my ticket balance and so will the other 9 people I'm going with.

Big event like a loss of job or family commitments aside I don't think I'd ever put a Glastonbury ticket back in the pot.

100% this.  Never would even cross my mind.  I think it's easy to focus on the things you don't like and feel they're over-represented, but you can only see one act at a time so it doesn't matter who else is playing where.   I know that there are places I keep meaning to spend more time at (BBC introducing springs to mind) so I will intend to spend some time there.  But I bet come 1 July, I'm back here to say I still didn't get there as I got caught up with loads of other stuff.

(Still haven't been to Glasto on Sea either).

I'm leaning towards putting mine back in the pot right now.

I go to Glastonbury for the music above everything else. In previous years, it has been the premier location to see artists. Whether it is a megastar like McCartney, or just something a bit of a "Wow I didn't expect that" such as Miley Cyrus.
I love the festival, but the first thing I need is to at least have 4 or 5 must-sees on my list. The poster gave me two (It would have been 4, but Idles, Dua and Fontaines all clash), so I'm already settling for folling mates around and just watching whatever they want to watch. Normally, I wouldn't mind that, provided I have a few locks for my weekend.

I also do not drink or partake in anything else, and I feel like a lot of the festival is enhanced by a bit of intoxication. Completely sober, I usually see everything the site has to offer across Wednesday and Thursday, before enjoying all the music on the last few days.

I personally don't see the value in spending probably around £1500 between myself and my partner to go away and just take in some new music, when that money could go towards a great holiday or a bunch of gigs/smaller festivals where the music is more suited for us.

I get one big trip a year, which is usually Glastonbury, but I think my money may be better off elsewhere this year, and I think somebody else would be better off taking my place. That's not easy to say (I nearly cried when the lineup came out) as I love being at the festival, but this year's festival just isn't catered towards me.

13 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I go to Glastonbury for the music above everything else. In previous years, it has been the premier location to see artists. Whether it is a megastar like McCartney, or just something a bit of a "Wow I didn't expect that" such as Miley Cyrus.
I love the festival, but the first thing I need is to at least have 4 or 5 must-sees on my list. The poster gave me two (It would have been 4, but Idles, Dua and Fontaines all clash), so I'm already settling for folling mates around and just watching whatever they want to watch. Normally, I wouldn't mind that, provided I have a few locks for my weekend.

I also do not drink or partake in anything else, and I feel like a lot of the festival is enhanced by a bit of intoxication. Completely sober, I usually see everything the site has to offer across Wednesday and Thursday, before enjoying all the music on the last few days.

I personally don't see the value in spending probably around £1500 between myself and my partner to go away and just take in some new music, when that money could go towards a great holiday or a bunch of gigs/smaller festivals where the music is more suited for us.

I get one big trip a year, which is usually Glastonbury, but I think my money may be better off elsewhere this year, and I think somebody else would be better off taking my place. That's not easy to say (I nearly cried when the lineup came out) as I love being at the festival, but this year's festival just isn't catered towards me.

Think carefully before making the decision, it’s hard to get these tickets and it won’t get any easier in the future. 

50 minutes ago, K2SO said:

If you nearly cried then you've invested too much in that first poster one way or another. 

Maybe wait for some stages and see if your disposition improves. 

It's easier to encounter people who don't like the line-up than those that are happy with it.

Some people unhappy want electronic music for three days straight, others are your 'real music' bucket-hat Courteeners brigade who don't want anything with a guitar. Some people wouldn't be happy unless Taylor Swift was booked.

18 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

21 April

You may very well be right but out of curiosity why not 11th & 14th? Too soon after balance window? 
(Unless the resale date has been announced and I’m being thick which is a very real possibility I admit) 

17 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Unless people's personal circumstances have changed, I'd always recommend that everyone, particularly first timers, hold onto their ticket until the very last opportunity.

It'll be worth it, regardless of who's playing or what the weather is. Coincidentally, these two subjects are possibly the most heavily discussed and debated on here and rarely have a detrimental effect on your overall enjoyment/experience.

Hold em.

The weather was never a problem for me in the past. I really enjoyed 2016, in fact I reckon it was better than 2019 on balance. Having said that, with being older now and bringing 3 kids between 11 and 4 years old, if the weather was like 2016 again I think it would probably ruin the experience. Just having to get them round the site in that level of mud, try to stop them getting covered in mud every 5 mins, being unable to sit on the grass comfortably, the inevitable complaining etc etc might break me. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad but with not having a whole lot for me lineup wise I can imagine there being a possibility that it just would not be an enjoyable experience. There's no chance of that without kids.

I've never put one back on the basis of a line up and never would (0/12).

We have a reasonably large group and some of them have done so over the years. 

Main reasons for this are:

- financial change

- family change (pregnant etc)

- because their best mates within the group didn't get tickets, so they all decided to go to a different festival together

- because they deliberately went in the main sale with a view to making the decision in April, and decided against it. 

I would say this year that the noise about the line up is louder than other years. Nobody has yet said they are giving up their ticket, but a lot of people in the groups that didn't get tickets are not bothering with the resale on the strength of the line up.

Hopefully that means more tickets going back than usual to the resale, and less people trying to get them. 

Edited by Db79

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's been so long since a wet one that those of us who bear the scars are all at least 8 years older and presumably a bit more decrepit with it.

I'm pretty fit and not being able to sit down for 5 days still gives me the fear.

I'm much fitter and healthier than I was in 2016. In fact 2016 was probably me at my unhealthiest. Looking at photos from that year I was massive.

Weirdly I don't remember 2016 being too hard work. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely harder than normal but not unmanageable. And that was combined with stewarding shifts too

15 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I definitely wouldn’t give up my ticket even if there were no acts on the poster I wish to see. Even if the impossible happened and there was no music for me, I’d spend the time in Theatre & Cabaret, and go to every bar!

Would you really though? Sounds a tad like hyperbole to me. If I had a ticket I wouldn’t throw it back in after this years poster because there’s enough there, it’s not a good line up but there’s enough. There’s no way I’m paying £360 for a festival with no music though nor am I paying that for a music festival with no acts I know.

21 minutes ago, Db79 said:

I would say this year that the noise about the line up is louder than other years. Nobody has yet said they are giving up their ticket, but a lot of people in the groups that didn't get tickets are not bothering with the resale on the strength of the line up.

Yeah - our list of folk wanting in on the resale has been decimated.

And of the folk going a few have said if tickets were any easier to get and they were guaranteed to get back in at G25 they'd be skipping this year due to the d@b down in the quality of the acts.