Hold or give up ticket?

airwaves

Are you keeping your ticket?   

263 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the main poster has dropped are you keeping, not keeping your ticket?

• Intend to give up ticket
    • Undecided - trending to give up
    • Undecided
    • Undecided - trending to probably hold
    • Definitely holding

15 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Would you really though? Sounds a tad like hyperbole to me. If I had a ticket I wouldn’t throw it back in after this years poster because there’s enough there, it’s not a good line up but there’s enough. There’s no way I’m paying £360 for a festival with no music though nor am I paying that for a music festival with no acts I know.

Yes I would. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's been so long since a wet one that those of us who bear the scars are all at least 8 years older and presumably a bit more decrepit with it.

I'm pretty fit and not being able to sit down for 5 days still gives me the fear.

I only started going in 2017, so have never experienced a wet Glastonbury. The stories are awful. One person on our crew fell over and broke their leg on the first day, after getting stuck!

2016 was made bearable for me as my daughter was working there for 6 weeks.  So I left my tent with her when I dropped her off and she put it up for me took it down when she finished 3 weeks after the festival ended.  So long and short of it, I didn't have to put up and take down my tent, bedding etc in that mud.  

It was hard work but the music was fantastic that year!

3 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

You may very well be right but out of curiosity why not 11th & 14th? Too soon after balance window? 
(Unless the resale date has been announced and I’m being thick which is a very real possibility I admit) 

Could be either! But i reckon the later date as a guess

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

2016 was made bearable for me as my daughter was working there for 6 weeks.  So I left my tent with her when I dropped her off and she put it up for me took it down when she finished 3 weeks after the festival ended.  So long and short of it, I didn't have to put up and take down my tent, bedding etc in that mud.  

It was hard work but the music was fantastic that year!

I didn’t watch any of the headliners on the Pyramid in 2016, but there was lots of headline choices on the other stages, I think my headliners that year were Underworld, Earth Wind and Fire and New Order. Also remember Art Garfunkel and Beck being highlights. So many more options for me in 2016 than so far on this line up.

I will be at this year’s festival and have plenty of bands to see, although other than the National not sure who my end of the night bands will be. I also look forward to being able to spend lots of time away from the Pyramid and being in my favourite parts of the festival.

I am lucky enough to be able to spend additional money on seeing some of the bands missing from the poster that are touring this summer, but if you are on a really tight budget and the festival is your only chance to see your favourite big bands, then I can see how this some might need to consider their options.

I’m a massive fan of the festival and  have been very lucky to have been there 15 times previously, but for me that poster was a disappointment. It’s Glastonbury though and it’s a wonderful weekend away for those with a golden ticket and who can afford it.

7 hours ago, Mr Boo said:

I didn’t watch any of the headliners on the Pyramid in 2016, but there was lots of headline choices on the other stages, I think my headliners that year were Underworld, Earth Wind and Fire and New Order. Also remember Art Garfunkel and Beck being highlights. So many more options for me in 2016 than so far on this line up.

I will be at this year’s festival and have plenty of bands to see, although other than the National not sure who my end of the night bands will be. I also look forward to being able to spend lots of time away from the Pyramid and being in my favourite parts of the festival.

I am lucky enough to be able to spend additional money on seeing some of the bands missing from the poster that are touring this summer, but if you are on a really tight budget and the festival is your only chance to see your favourite big bands, then I can see how this some might need to consider their options.

I’m a massive fan of the festival and  have been very lucky to have been there 15 times previously, but for me that poster was a disappointment. It’s Glastonbury though and it’s a wonderful weekend away for those with a golden ticket and who can afford it.

Yeah similar here really.  I was a bit "meh" about the poster but was also slightly relieved that there are no huge must sees for me - I stressed so much about how to get a good position for Macca!  Also with you on the National as the only headliner so far but there are a few maybes - Coldplay will be great I'm sure but not bothered if there's something else I want to see then as I've seen them before.  

Now just to start stressing about the stage drops and the weather of course!

Oh and with you again about Earth Wind and Fire and Art Garfunkel in 2016!  Amazing!  I saw Adele too but can't remember who my third headliner was (if I saw one at all, I may have just wandered a bit!)  Edit - just remembered when I was answering another thread - it was Richard Hawley up at the Park - that was a slog!

Edited by Beerqueen
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, noose6767 said:

For me it's all about the music and I must admit I'm totally fed up with this lineup so far. For me the drop off in quality on the first poster drop compared to the last time I got tickets (2016) is unreal. Pop/R'n'B is not my thing and the first poster drop is choc full of it. Looks to me like in striving for gender equality the festival is losing diversity of genre. Hoping some more interesting acts get announced before we have to pay the balance, currently trending to give up. 

Couldn't agree more. The festival has dropped a lot of quality in trying to diversify everything. It doesn't even matter about getting quality now, it's about making sure the lineup has an equal share of everything whether the lineup quality is affected or not.

Glastonbury has never been about that previously, it's never been that huge this that an impact of this was needed. Even two similar acts are subbing the Pyramid for two nights just to ensure there is no white male, white band, guitar based band in the slots. Add LCD which fair book them but not Pyramid subbing. Switch them with Idles if need be.

5 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

One of my friends hasn’t returned to Glastonbury since 2016 😅

It was her first and only one, so she doesn’t know any different. Shame for her really as she’s missing out (as we all know) 

Ive a mate who was one-and-done after 2010!

This year will be my 11th festival - and never yet considered giving up my ticket

1. there’s too much else on for me to be too worried what’s on the poster 

2. there’s not been one year without at least 6 or 7 bands I really want to see - which is all you really need to plan your days around

Also, personally I think the line up is considerably better than last year. There’s loads of variety across the poster and (for me) genuine clashes across the headline slots for all the stages - but that’s an unpopular opinion 🙂

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mr Boo said:

I think one of those you've highlighted wouldn't have made this poster anyway due to being on the acoustic? 

3 hours ago, northernangel said:

Couldn't agree more. The festival has dropped a lot of quality in trying to diversify everything. It doesn't even matter about getting quality now, it's about making sure the lineup has an equal share of everything whether the lineup quality is affected or not.

Glastonbury has never been about that previously, it's never been that huge this that an impact of this was needed. Even two similar acts are subbing the Pyramid for two nights just to ensure there is no white male, white band, guitar based band in the slots. Add LCD which fair book them but not Pyramid subbing. Switch them with Idles if need be.

I dunno if I'm the only one who thinks this doesn't reflect well on you tbh? 

12 minutes ago, clarkete said:

You think I'm the only one who's got this view. There are people much more respected than me on here who have voiced a similar view since the lineup. Now if I was the one that tool the flack for everyone else thinking and voicing the same it says less about me, more about them. If you can say that by going with this booking policy it shows as a strong a lineup and previous times then that is your entitlement too.

Also, I really don't care what reflects well on me or not. If we cared what our opinions looked like we wouldn't have any 

24 minutes ago, northernangel said:

You think I'm the only one who's got this view. There are people much more respected than me on here who have voiced a similar view since the lineup. Now if I was the one that tool the flack for everyone else thinking and voicing the same it says less about me, more about them. If you can say that by going with this booking policy it shows as a strong a lineup and previous times then that is your entitlement too.

This plus you're the only person I could see using diversity in a similarly derogatory manner. 

Screenshot_20240316_173833_Chrome.jpg

Edited by clarkete

21 minutes ago, clarkete said:

This plus you're the only person I could see using diversity in a similarly derogatory manner. 

Screenshot_20240316_173833_Chrome.jpg

It's not derogatory is it?, but at the same time I'm not trying to sugar coat anything. They have booked people in stupid positions and they have made forced bookings tailored by what they were adamant to do that has resulted in a weaker looking lineup. Just because I'm the only one to just the word diversify means no one else has said the same in different words?, that's a pretty ignorant outlook when I am clearly not.

On 3/15/2024 at 3:39 PM, noose6767 said:

For me it's all about the music and I must admit I'm totally fed up with this lineup so far. For me the drop off in quality on the first poster drop compared to the last time I got tickets (2016) is unreal. Pop/R'n'B is not my thing and the first poster drop is choc full of it. Looks to me like in striving for gender equality the festival is losing diversity of genre. Hoping some more interesting acts get announced before we have to pay the balance, currently trending to give up. 

It is fair enough if you don't like a specific genre but think that some people might also not like whatever genre you would want in the lineup. If the lineup was mostly rock, folk or anything else, someone else would complain. Looking at the lineup, it doesn't have that Can't please everyone unfortunately. That being said "choc full" sounds a bit excessive. I would say about 25% falls into rnb. Pop has a similar percentage depending on your definition of pop. Rock has a similar percentage too (again depending on your definition of rock). If anything, the lineup looks MORE diverse than previous years. In fact, I see at least one genre in the lineup that has never been there before. It also seems to have space for genre-neutral artists too. Many big festivals have had this trend of giving excessive focus to artists that have been playing for decades, while up and coming artists get none. It is great to see Glastonbury to give a voice to the new generation of artists that will become tomorrow's established artists.

5 hours ago, northernangel said:

The festival has dropped a lot of quality in trying to diversify everything. It doesn't even matter about getting quality now, it's about making sure the lineup has an equal share of everything whether the lineup quality is affected or not.

Glastonbury has never been about that previously, it's never been that huge this that an impact of this was needed. Even two similar acts are subbing the Pyramid for two nights just to ensure there is no white male, white band, guitar based band in the slots.

Worth remembering that Glasto hasn't explained the rationale behind their lineup so you are just assuming that we know why they chose the lineup artists when we don't. Also worth remembering that people have different musical preferences and just because there is less of of what we like or know does not necessarily mean that it is bad. You could have plenty of people like Claudio Arrau in there. Would you imagine calling a lineup bad if you didn't notice that you had one of best pianists of our time there? Obviously, I am not saying that there is someone like Claudio in the lineup but that there might be great artists that you simply don't know about.

Also the "no white male, white band, guitar based band" is unfair on Glasto. They do not exist to meet the preferences of any single individual and saying they are doing x to ensure that [insert my favourite genre] does not get the spotlight is just vilifying Glasto for not putting music that you personally like. I would love to see you argue ardently for historically underrepresented groups such as female guitar bands as much as you do for male ones. Especially, when you can see plenty of male guitar bands in the lineups even if it isn't in the particular stage that you prefer.

At the end of the day, Glasto is not forced to keep its music preferences static and neither should it regardless of what random netizens like us might think about it.

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

I think one of those you've highlighted wouldn't have made this poster anyway due to being on the acoustic? 

I ran out of reactions to upvote you but I agree with you that it's not a good look

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

It's not derogatory is it?, but at the same time I'm not trying to sugar coat anything. They have booked people in stupid positions and they have made forced bookings tailored by what they were adamant to do that has resulted in a weaker looking lineup. Just because I'm the only one to just the word diversify means no one else has said the same in different words?, that's a pretty ignorant outlook when I am clearly not.

It is derogatory, mate. You are calling out Glasto for trying to balance what has been a fairly homogeneous lineup since 1970. Female bands in particular have always been fairly underrepresented and let's not even talked about the music industry treatment of female artists. Yet you seem to be arguing that trying to change this is not good.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BluesManP said:

It is derogatory, mate. You are calling out Glasto for trying to balance what has been a fairly homogeneous lineup since 1970. Female bands in particular have always been fairly underrepresented and let's not even talked about the music industry treatment of female artists. Yet you seem to be arguing that trying to change this is not good.

The fact is, female bands in the past simply weren't there, the odd ones that did appear such as Fanny and The Slits were seen as a novelty, times have changed and there are a lot more female musicians now but operating a "positive discrimination" policy to try to get female artists better slots is not the way, let artists get the right slot on their merit not their sex. northenangel is right to point it out. It might take a few more years to have a truly balanced lineup but it will happen naturally, no need to try and force things.

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

The fact is, female bands in the past simply weren't there, the odd ones that did appear such as Fanny and The Slits were seen as a novelty, times have changed and there are a lot more female musicians now but operating a "positive discrimination" policy to try to get female artists better slots is not the way, let artists get the right slot on their merit not their sex. northenangel is right to point it out. It might take a few more years to have a truly balanced lineup but it will happen naturally, no need to try and force things.

I dunno, Dua’s had a load of number 1 hits. She’s a big pop star. SZA, same - loads of Grammy awards, and both have lots of critical acclaim as well. 

Simz and PJ Harvey are both mercury award winners (PJ twice). Janelle Monae is amazing and gets great reviews for everything she does 

They’re all there on merit!

I don’t really know what you expect from the festival organisers, it sounds like they had to get the third headliner in last minute too. What other blokes would be better bookings than the women above?

36 minutes ago, Nelvis said:

I dunno, Dua’s had a load of number 1 hits. She’s a big pop star. SZA, same - loads of Grammy awards, and both have lots of critical acclaim as well. 

Simz and PJ Harvey are both mercury award winners (PJ twice). Janelle Monae is amazing and gets great reviews for everything she does 

I don’t really know what you expect from the festival organisers, it sounds like they had to get the third headliner in last minute too. What other blokes would be better bookings than the women above?

I was responding to BluesmanP's criticism of northernangel's point regarding the positioning of artists on the lineup, yes it's true all the artists you mention deserve an appearance, but some seem to get promoted beyond their popularity, SimZ, for example headlined West Holts last time, didn't seem to get a massive crowd but is now well up the list for the Pyramid, I can't see how she is more popular than Paloma Faith, (or Cyndi Lauper for that matter), is SZA really headliner material? I had honestly never heard of her until she was mentioned on these threads a couple of weeks ago, it must be me getting too old.  it may be the festival are actively seeking a younger crowd, can't rely on us old un's to keep going forever, in which case it may well make sense. Will be interesting to see how busy the pyramid is this year.

3 hours ago, BluesManP said:

Worth remembering that Glasto hasn't explained the rationale behind their lineup so you are just assuming that we know why they chose the lineup artists when we don't. Also worth remembering that people have different musical preferences and just because there is less of of what we like or know does not necessarily mean that it is bad. You could have plenty of people like Claudio Arrau in there. Would you imagine calling a lineup bad if you didn't notice that you had one of best pianists of our time there? Obviously, I am not saying that there is someone like Claudio in the lineup but that there might be great artists that you simply don't know about.

Also the "no white male, white band, guitar based band" is unfair on Glasto. They do not exist to meet the preferences of any single individual and saying they are doing x to ensure that [insert my favourite genre] does not get the spotlight is just vilifying Glasto for not putting music that you personally like. I would love to see you argue ardently for historically underrepresented groups such as female guitar bands as much as you do for male ones. Especially, when you can see plenty of male guitar bands in the lineups even if it isn't in the particular stage that you prefer.

At the end of the day, Glasto is not forced to keep its music preferences static and neither should it regardless of what random netizens like us might think about it.

3 hours ago, BluesManP said:

It's really not. I'm afraid at this point it's actually a little bit of ignorance. Are you completely ignoring everything Emily said in the build up to this festival. If you don't think they have made a direct ploy to cover more females at whatever cost, more mutli cultural genres, some of which aren't at the level they are booked at all....Gossip headlining JP in 2024....and it hasn't affected the quality of lineup we get overall then you are in dream land!

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

This basically 

1 hour ago, Nelvis said:

Yes, that 3rd headliner though had to be female which clearly put a band headlining Other that are nowhere near that level and most likely replaced SZA herself. SZA isn't a Glastonbury headliner on merit, come in! You are trying to convince yourself now.

Another interesting poll would be "Will you be trying for resale tickets?"

I'm lucky to have a volunteering spot, so will be going either way. However,  the plan was initially to try for resale tickets as I've never actually not worked a Glastonbury and I've wanted to, actually once, experience it obligation free.

After the initial lineup release I'm questioning if I'm going to bother with resale tickets with the cost being nearly £400 now. 

I do feel it might be slightly easier to get resale tickets this year. 

9 hours ago, northernangel said:

It's really not. I'm afraid at this point it's actually a little bit of ignorance. Are you completely ignoring everything Emily said in the build up to this festival. If you don't think they have made a direct ploy to cover more females at whatever cost, more mutli cultural genres, some of which aren't at the level they are booked at all....Gossip headlining JP in 2024....and it hasn't affected the quality of lineup we get overall then you are in dream land!

This basically 

Yes, that 3rd headliner though had to be female which clearly put a band headlining Other that are nowhere near that level and most likely replaced SZA herself. SZA isn't a Glastonbury headliner on merit, come in! You are trying to convince yourself now.

Multicultural genres like pop, hip hop and R&B?

and indie? (Gossip - who’ve got a new album out, and headlined 6music fest last week)

I’ve been 10 times and a wide range of genres has been in the ethos of the festival ever since I’ve been going. And I think that’s a good thing 

Also re: Simz/SZA/gossip - you could say “why is kiwuanuka on the pyramid” or “why are disclosure headlining the other in 2024” or “why are two door cinema club so high up the bill” - there’s these arguments everywhere but it just seems to be the women that get complained about

• Like 1