Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Surprised they are still going with a massively right wing guy in the band. He’s called winston too… just makes it worse that there’s an Andrew Tate wannabe called winston….

That guy isn’t in the band anymore so the rest of them have come away from his stupid opinions relatively unscathed. Can’t see a way they’ll be playing Glastonbury any time soon though outside of a secret set, which it seems they were supposed to do in 2020. 

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

That guy isn’t in the band anymore so the rest of them have come away from his stupid opinions relatively unscathed. Can’t see a way they’ll be playing Glastonbury any time soon though outside of a secret set, which it seems they were supposed to do in 2020. 

Yes, and fwiw Marcus has distanced himself from Winston's political views.

So this is what I’m thinking - Jan edition!

Predicting an all male top line (3 male headliners + male fronted legend). I think this year will be a cock fest.

Pyramid Headliners - Arctic Monkeys, Guns N’ Roses, Elton John

Legend Slot - Pulp

Pyramid Subs - Doja Cat, Lewis Capaldi, Queens Of The Stone Age

Pyramid Thirds - Royal Blood, Lizzo, Lil Nas X

Other - Sam Smith, Halsey, The Prodigy

West Holts - Skrillex, Loyle Carner, FKA TWIGS

John Peel - Maggie Rogers, Fred Again, Pusha T

Park - M83, Franz Ferdinand, Sigur Ros

2FB3E830-44FB-4E85-BBD6-87289C320255.png

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Predicting an all male top line (3 male headliners + male fronted legend). I think this year will be a cock fest.

Legend Slot - Pulp

Some interesting shouts here. I was thinking Skrillex for JP and Fred on WH but I suppose with that thing about the latter playing JP it could work. 

Has Halsey announced anything other than Primavera yet? If she’s fully touring then she makes a lot of sense as an Other headliner but I wouldn’t be too surprised if she’s just over for the two Primavera weekends. 

I think even with those Pyramid headliners there will be at least one guitar headliner on JP, maybe Two Door Cinema Club or Editors at a push?

6 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

What's this about Fred playing JP?

Yeah, I can't see that. Would be a serious underestimation of his current popularity. West Holts is the perfect location for him at this moment in time, nothing more, nothing less. Fully expect him to pop up numerous times across the weekend though, with friends 

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

Some interesting shouts here. I was thinking Skrillex for JP and Fred on WH but I suppose with that thing about the latter playing JP it could work. 

Has Halsey announced anything other than Primavera yet? If she’s fully touring then she makes a lot of sense as an Other headliner but I wouldn’t be too surprised if she’s just over for the two Primavera weekends. 

I think even with those Pyramid headliners there will be at least one guitar headliner on JP, maybe Two Door Cinema Club or Editors at a push?

Skrillex headlined other last time. Can’t see a drop from that. Needs the darkness so tent/headline is about it. It was mint by the way, but I was well spangled.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Heard it was pretty quiet though?

Not in a radius around me. I was raving like a loon. Although we did get there 5 mins before and got just in front of the sound desk so it wasn’t busy.

I asked chat gpt who is headlining Glastonbury 2023 and the answer was shit "I'm sorry, my knowledge cut-off is 2021 and I am not aware of the headliners for Glastonbury Festival in 2023, as the festival is usually announced around the end of the year or early next year. But usually big acts like Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, and Adele have been headliners in the past."

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Legend Slot - Pulp

Not hugely into many of the stage headliners but there's a lot to love on the undercard - FKA, Muna, Rina, M83 etc. Would love this tbh. 

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Legend Slot - Pulp

PLEEEEEASE don't put my hopes up for that Park Stage thought/prediction. Honestly know where I'd spend my entire time at for Glasto already if this is the case, haha 😄 

Going back to the Female headliner debate. The interview from June 2022 where Emily says “there’ll be some years where we have all male headliners, there will be some years hopefully where we’ll have all female headliners, it’s not always gonna be 50-50” is here, Emily starts talking at 36.45 and that specific line is at 37.12

Emily interview with Edith Bowman

She also said that a fair gender split is an aim of the festival. Therefore if every single headliner was male (or male fronted), that’s something the festival would presumably consider unfortunate.

Which makes booking Guns and Roses because Taylor can’t do it seem even more bizarre and unlikely. 

Who were they meant to book then?

Taylor's on the road in the US and seems a decent lock in another year

Dua is in the studio and is a cert for 2024

Rihanna was out of budget even for Coachella 

Lady Gaga toured last year and otherwise seems to be on sabbatical 

Billie Eilish played last year

Ariana Grande seems to be having a breather 

Maria Carey feels more like a future legend - and not sure if she does festivals

Same for Shania Twain and Celine Dion

Fleetwood Mac are banjaxed 

Madonna probably has turned it down every year for the last decade plus 

They probably haven't asked Kate Bush or Joni Mitchell as they know what the response will be

SZA, Lizzo, Lana, Cardi B, Little Simz, Doja Cat, BLACKPINK and Rosalia are on the path to it but aren't there yet

Nicki Minaj is no longer there

The only answer seems to be Florence and the Machine.  And Guns'n'Roses are a better booking than them given they've stalled a bit even since being bumped up last time (and they've got a better lead singer)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

She also said that a fair gender split is an aim of the festival. Therefore if every single headliner was male (or male fronted), that’s something the festival would presumably consider unfortunate.

Which makes booking Guns and Roses because Taylor can’t do it seem even more bizarre and unlikely. 

No need to presume anything. She explains her/their position very clearly. The aim is for an even split and as diverse a line up as possible, but some years the headliners will be all male. 

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maria Carey feels more like a future legend - and not sure if she does festivals

They probably haven't asked Kate Bush or Joni Mitchell as they know what the response will be

SZA, Lizzo, Lana, Cardi B, Little Simz, Doja Cat, BLACKPINK and Rosalia are on the path to it but aren't there yet

The only answer seems to be Florence and the Machine.  And Guns'n'Roses are a better booking than them given they've stalled a bit even since being bumped up last time (and they've got a better lead singer)

Flo is one of few that actually didn't just explode from the Glastonbury booking and that probably tells the festival a lot. Flo just isn't a Pyramid headliner now but had she just been a headliner in the year she it then it would have been fine. The list above, only Blackpink are close and please no. 

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I was at the French Quarter Festial last year, the week before the jazz fest. Best city in the world. 

Heard good things on New Orleans, I'd never go for the Jazz Fest though 

My friend went who very much enjoys New York so I'm likely to enjoy as I'm a new yorker too.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That wasn’t the point I was making. I didn’t say they’re “meant” to book anyone. I pointed out that by Emily’s own words, a line up without a fair gender split is unfortunate. Inevitable? Maybe. But it’s clearly not their ideal.

Thanks for  exhausting every single woman artist they could possibly book though.