2024 Headliners

13 minutes ago, Robofish said:

The original version of Waiting For You is on Vol2 of the Rarities collection.

Chris Martin was 100% correct. 

Ah cool! Will check it out. Still in the CD wrapper at home!

Ha! Amazing. Canning factory is spot on! 

P.s. and with this bit of insight I have just become an eFests Grand Master! Woop!

Glad it was Nick Cave that got me over the line!

Edited by Superscally

21 hours ago, fullfathom5 said:

If she's playing a set she is headliner or nothing after already doing the legends slot.

I misread this and for one moment thought that the post was suggesting Rhianna could do the Glasto legends slot... we're not that old are we?

I do wonder if the size of Kylie since the Legend slot may have prompted the festival to opt for her as giving her the headline shot that she never got way back when because of the obvious.

I say why not from, not sure I'd be there again but ticket wise she is into general tier 3 admission sales for BST which is fair chunk above headlining Chepstow Race Course a few years back.

I can think of far worse than Dua Lipa, Coldplay and Kylie for the top slots.

10 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Your not wrong.  

Bigger name acts actually often mean more publicity not better acts. 

For example- 

While we know acts like Young Fathers etc are not "big enough" to headline they are one of the best live acts around. 

I would much rather see the festival full of great live acts than chase as many big names as possible .  

But the problem is people they want the names they are familiar with they are not prepared to risk an unfamiliar thing (hopefully present company excluded)

It's the Dominoes Pizza effect. Most people probably have an independent local Pizza shop that makes amazing pizza with quality ingredients for less money. 

But when they want a Pizza  they have seen 20million bits of advertising for Dominoes so they go straight there. 

I wish the general public were more interested in music quality than familiarity of names. Would be a better festival for everyone. 

Was never more clear then when I was in the will call line in 22 and just chatting to people about the weekend and who they were interested in seeing. I ring off a bunch of undercard names and they think Im like some guru. Cause its pretty f**king clear that a large portion of the attendees do zero research and just go off hype bullshit instead of finding their own way. I mean this is how it is for the festival now. The experience/bucket list thing is more important. Again, Emily could go off the rails and take lots of risks with the top end of the line up but doesnt want to freak out john doe punter cause the Pyramid doesnt have Elbow at 5pm to satisfy the itch. Book who you want cause its sold out already. Attendees will have to deal with it. 

29 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Book who you want cause its sold out already. Attendees will have to deal with it. 

Yeah, until it stops selling out and you have to revert back to booking stuff people actually want, which is no way to run a festival. Why fill the top end of the line up with weird sh*t when you can just book it lower down and then have some mass-appealing stuff up top as well as a couple of risks? Coachella has ‘taken risks’ this year and people have simply decided not to go. 

22 hours ago, northernangel said:

I do wonder if the size of Kylie since the Legend slot may have prompted the festival to opt for her as giving her the headline shot that she never got way back when because of the obvious.

I say why not from, not sure I'd be there again but ticket wise she is into general tier 3 admission sales for BST which is fair chunk above headlining Chepstow Race Course a few years back.

I can think of far worse than Dua Lipa, Coldplay and Kylie for the top slots.

Kylie >>>> Sza 1000%

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Yeah, until it stops selling out and you have to revert back to booking stuff people actually want, which is no way to run a festival. Why fill the top end of the line up with weird sh*t when you can just book it lower down and then have some mass-appealing stuff up top as well as a couple of risks? Coachella has ‘taken risks’ this year and people have simply decided not to go. 

Isn't it better to give someone a lift and feature a new headliner than have an act who's played before and may do a largely similar set? 

15 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Was never more clear then when I was in the will call line in 22 and just chatting to people about the weekend and who they were interested in seeing. I ring off a bunch of undercard names and they think Im like some guru. Cause its pretty f**king clear that a large portion of the attendees do zero research and just go off hype bullshit instead of finding their own way. I mean this is how it is for the festival now. The experience/bucket list thing is more important. Again, Emily could go off the rails and take lots of risks with the top end of the line up but doesnt want to freak out john doe punter cause the Pyramid doesnt have Elbow at 5pm to satisfy the itch. Book who you want cause its sold out already. Attendees will have to deal with it. 

I had a revelation like this in 2016 when I'd recently started a new job and half the office were going to Glastonbury. One guy from the sales team in particular loved to think of himself as being the most well-informed, with the best music taste etc. 

Then all the acts he said he was excited to see were on Pyramid or acts like Bastille that had been played to death on radio.

14 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Isn't it better to give someone a lift and feature a new headliner than have an act who's played before and may do a largely similar set? 

I'd argue this largely depends on a number of different factors, including (but not limited to) the size, pull, relevance, experience, live show quality, and amount of good material of both potential artists; when they played last and in what spot,...

And then there's the question of "better" for whom?
The festival? Giving a lift might be more contemporary or more "Glasto" whatever that means, but might hurt sales and/or public perception.
The "new" artist? Headlining Glasto and the exposure that brings can certainly be a nice leg up and accelerate the career. It can also backfire if the artist isn't yet up for the task. Most likely though it ends up in an okayish headline set and realization that headlining a smaller stage or subbing would probably still be the better way to go.

My point being - it's not a straight and clear yes (in general, not specifically talking about SZA and Kylie).

5 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Not been on the glasto forums in a while, when this week do we think to expect the lineup?

The only thing we can say with any certainty is Emily promised it this week so by the end of Sunday we should have it.

I personally think Wednesday onwards is more likely but not because of any insider knowledge, just a feeling.

5 minutes ago, mouserat said:

I had a revelation like this in 2016 when I'd recently started a new job and half the office were going to Glastonbury. One guy from the sales team in particular loved to think of himself as being the most well-informed, with the best music taste etc. 

Then all the acts he said he was excited to see were on Pyramid or acts like Bastille that had been played to death on radio.

I hate to break the news to him but if he was excited to see Bastille, then he was neither well informed nor did he have the best music taste 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, clarkete said:

It's a fine line. They're doing that this year with Dua and SZA and even though they're both enormous artists they're still proving divisive.

On 3/8/2024 at 11:46 PM, Superscally said:

The reason why headliners and overall lineups this year seem underwhelming? Because the public are suckers for being TOLD what is good. Lineups are picked on the basis of who the industry tell you that you are supposed to like, when in fact, a lot of these artists are f**king shite with 8 or 9/10 reviews from reviewers who are self satisfied gurners pretending their finger is on the pulse. If the industry wants an act to succeed it gets the airplay and you hear it over and over again until you think it ACTUALLY is good. So, the top end of lineups appear poor, because they're diluted by crap. People moaning about LCD and PJ Harvey being poor picks to be high up? Mental. THEY'RE not the problem. The undercards are actually good too, you just have to do your research as they're not getting pushed. Before you moan about lineups, actually listen to stuff outside what's getting pushed on you. The lineup for Glasto, as ever, will be boss, you might just have to look beyond the Pyramid for it. 

Yep exactly!  That's how I've found some great acts to go to see - listening through as much of the lineup as I can manage pre-festival.  And also stumbling on some by sheer chance on the day!  Really, really looking forward to the undercard.

In the meantime, doing the same with the Bearded lineup - some great stuff, though the headliners aren't that exciting for me.

Agree with the thought it is most likely to be Friday. Also, stating/restating 2 female headliners has given enough time for people to get their head around SZA headlining the pyramid (Even though the press don't seem to have cottoned on yet so will be a shock for a lot of people).