Coldplay - Why the hate?

Alvoram

5 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Ah, bless him. Perhaps he can take comfort from counting his millions while the rest of us struggle to buy our food and heat our homes this winter. 

I'm not having a go at people that get slated on the Internet, but come on, let's have a sense of perspective!

Rich or not anyone can have issues with mental health …  so there is my sense of perspective… and of course he may have different issues to the rest of us at the moment 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Rich or not anyone can have issues with mental health …  so there is my sense of perspective… and of course he may have different issues to the rest of us at the moment 

Obviously, if he's getting abuse or death threats, then that is not acceptable. But if he's getting upset by people saying "Oh for fucks sake, not bloody Coldplay again!", then he doesn't have my sympathy.

Besides, I doubt very much that Chris Martin is a regular reader of efestivals forums! 😀

52 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Obviously, if he's getting abuse or death threats, then that is not acceptable. But if he's getting upset by people saying "Oh for fucks sake, not bloody Coldplay again!", then he doesn't have my sympathy.

Besides, I doubt very much that Chris Martin is a regular reader of efestivals forums! 😀

*thinks about setting up a Chris account*

*realises I'm too lazy*

18 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

As I sad earlier they're headlining every four festivals on average these days, to me that's lazy and uninspired (for clarity I'd be saying this about any act booked to headline so regularly).

The chemical brothers are booked about that often and most people are fine with that. 

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

The chemical brothers are booked about that often and most people are fine with that. 

I think his issue is with them actually headlining the festival so often. As those slots are limited. There are lots of bands / acts that have performed as often / more often. 

9 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yes - for someone so famous it's very wise that he's taken his own point B on board, but extraordinary that it took so long.  Nobody in the public eye so much should be reading what folk are saying - people are b*st*rds 😉 

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/chris-martin-glastonbury-coldplay-interview-3560599

As for the thread subject - from childhood onwards people form tribes about the music they like and dislike don't they? 

When I was young people used to write it in smash hits, nme or sounds depending on their age and tastes.  These days it's moved online where it's so much easier to do, whether that's here, socials or whatever.  Plenty of the regs here have likes and dislikes (indeed sometimes referred to in their nicks) and why should any poster care what another thinks of them. 

They clearly love playing there and put a lot into it, I've written before that several years ago on a busy sunny afternoon I was sitting at the meeting point near William's Green eating some grub.  Was somewhat surprised that ChrisM was on the next bench feeding chips to his young daughter, seemingly with nobody even noticing him, so was nice to see that he can get out and about with the punters still.

All that being said though, if someone seriously brings up the subject of Nickelback then I'll refer them to the memes here, which I did genuinely laugh out loud to, mind you even they found the funny side in them too.

https://observer.com/2016/01/nickelback-the-meme-a-complete-history-of-how-we-came-to-hate-a-successful-band/

No personal issue with Chris Martin and his band but not a fan of nepotism with the festival bookers which feels like its fueled a number of his appearances over the years. Fun fact: the drummer is the son of my tutor when I was at Uni - he used to hang around the faculty sometimes helping out.

11 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

There are many such big pop / rock bands to book tho - does it have to be Chris so frequently. I'd hardly see Cave as a frequent booking either - prob The Cure; Radiohead have been booked more frequently.

I do wonder how many out there could sell out Wembley 6 times.... That's over half a million people... In England alone. With Scotland to come. They also sold out 6 stadium nights in Germany, 4 in Belgium and the French national Stadium 4 times.

And that's before we get started on South America. Numbers in SA are crazy, what the hell makes them so big in South America... They've sold out that massive Buenos Aires stadium 10 times... 10 times!!! And have sold out 8 in Brazil. 

If there is a bigger British band on the international scene out there at the minute, who is it? 

P.s I've only just discovered the numbers for this tour tonight, I had no idea when I made this thread, and I'm astonished!!!

Edited by Alvoram

Just back from Wembley and you can’t fault the show they put on. Smiled, danced and sang from start to finish. No time for chin stroking and good luck to them. As Chris Martin instructed this 50 year old cynic threw away his grumpiness for a night and had a splendid time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I do wonder how many out there could sell out Wembley 6 times.... That's over half a million people... In England alone. With Scotland to come. They also sold out 6 stadium nights in Germany, 4 in Belgium and the French national Stadium 4 times.

And that's before we get started on South America. Numbers in SA are crazy, what the hell makes them so big in South America... They've sold out that massive Buenos Aires stadium 10 times... 10 times!!! And have sold out 8 in Brazil. 

If there is a bigger British band on the international scene out there at the minute, who is it? 

P.s I've only just discovered the numbers for this tour tonight, I had no idea when I made this thread, and I'm astonished!!!

U2 enters the chat but they dont wont do that many shows at this point in their career anyway.  Harry Styles is the only one who can or would do that many nights but he hasnt done it yet everywhere. Just started his 15 night residency at MSG and thats 300k just on its own give or take. He couldve played 4 nights at The Meadowlands instead but didnt.

Edited by Suprefan

be afraid, be vey afraid.....

MAY 2023

WED 17 Estádio Cidade de Coimbra - Coimbra, PORTUGAL

WED 24 Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys - Barcelona, SPAIN

THU 25  Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys - Barcelona, SPAIN

WED 31 Etihad Stadium - Manchester, UK

JUNE 2023

THU 01 Etihad Stadium - Manchester, UK

TUE 06 Principality Stadium - Cardiff, UK

WED 21 Stadio Diego Armando Maradona - Naples, ITALY

SUN 25 Stadio San Siro - Milan, ITALY

MON 26 Stadio San Siro - Milan, ITALY

JULY 2023

SAT 01 Stadion Letzigrund - Zurich, SWITZERLAND

WED 05 Parken - Copenhagen, DENMARK

THU 06 Parken - Copenhagen, DENMARK 

SAT 08 Ullevi - Gothenburg, SWEDEN

SUN 09 Ullevi - Gothenburg, SWEDEN

SAT 15 Johan Cruijff ArenA - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS

SUN 16 Johan Cruijff ArenA - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS

11 hours ago, Pinhead said:

No personal issue with Chris Martin and his band but not a fan of nepotism with the festival bookers which feels like its fueled a number of his appearances over the years. Fun fact: the drummer is the son of my tutor when I was at Uni - he used to hang around the faculty sometimes helping out.

Didn't his mother die just as Coldplay were breaking out?

Sure I read that or saw it on a documentary about the band....