Crowd control issues

dulcificum

Like others have said, moving around anywhere near anything you wanted to see was an absolute chore. Definitely worse than 2019 and the other 3 I've been to.

So many coked up young Tories or baghead Scousers trying to find their mates during sets where there was already no space to move. Maybe I'm just getting old but the youth (sweeping generalisation) were utterly unbearable this year.

I understand that drug taking is a part of Glasto and has been since day one, but changed to coked up bellends chatting to their mates rather than taking something and enjoying the music. Had to tell one bunch of Tories to STFU or fuck off during Noel Gallagher, 'raahh sorry bro.'

There was also a severe lack of toilets, I'm no diva and will shit or piss anywhere, however, when the festival pushes for not peeing on the land and you're waiting 40 mins in Pylon it gets towards not having any other option. Why remove urinals? Having them reduces any queue by at least 45%. That's without the 10 empty spotless "VIP" composts just out of sight that no peasants were allowed to use.

Rant over. Class weekend, see you all next year hopefully!

Love Glasto Hate Tories

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, probably..and I'm just showing my age...and that I haven't been to Glastonbury for years. When I was young it was all acidy and weird and fun in my opinion.

I can understand how weed and acid or even a few other drugs would make music better. I've no idea how anyone can possibly think cocaine would improve a gig for you or anyone else around you. And tbh if it's the drug people are gonna keep taking at festivals I'd be up for much tougher measures to stop drugs getting in at all. 

• Upvote 2

Ah man thats rough, one of the reasons I decided not to bother this year and give my ticket  back was cause of crowd issues in 2017 when I last went and just nothing seems to be done despite it getting progressively worse year on year (And the BBC coverage had got me wanting to go back desperately)

The big "secret" sets need to stop , everyone knows the slots now, they are basically announced in advance so they are not secret and just lead to mad crowding. The other way you could handle them is when you have say someone like Diana Ross, why not have the Jack White, Georga Ezra "secret" sets against her to draw the crowd away? Some really bizzare choices in scheduling seemed to make the stages more crowded then they need to be, instead of painful clashes we used to get that split the crowd more.

And yeah you can't keep letting more people on site, without expanding the site and stage areas or expanding the facilities. Glasto isn't the the only space guilty of this though, many places with big crowds seem intent on shoving more people in than they can realistically handle.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, she bangs the drums said:

There appears to be a lot of black people in attendance this year, which is a great thing.

Still likely only makes up like a tenth of 1 percent of the whole attendance. You likely mightve been seeing more people who were performers and such just being on site than ones who bought a ticket. 

2 hours ago, willgooneday said:

I can understand how weed and acid or even a few other drugs would make music better. I've no idea how anyone can possibly think cocaine would improve a gig for you or anyone else around you. And tbh if it's the drug people are gonna keep taking at festivals I'd be up for much tougher measures to stop drugs getting in at all. 

It pisses around with dopamine in your brain. It doesn't make everyone some arrogant, aggressive w*nker.

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, definitely this...a lot fewer loved up people, more aggressive hedonism.

More balloon inhaling than anything. Had a group next to me doing that for most of macca til they ran out and left. And had another group at foals who had their phone lights on so they could put coke on a key. Ill say this, the weed here sucks balls. I dont even smoke but can tell the difference.

7 hours ago, TheBoz said:

They need to sort out and entry/exit system to the front barrier of the pyramid. Dangerous bottleneck again after Lorde with people being pulled out into the middle by security. Needs stewarding to let people out before letting people in or some sort of one way system 

This is the number one. After a band finishes, exit left only, enter right only. Put on the screens. Job done.

7 hours ago, Billy Corgans hair said:

Like others have said, moving around anywhere near anything you wanted to see was an absolute chore. Definitely worse than 2019 and the other 3 I've been to.

So many coked up young Tories or baghead Scousers trying to find their mates during sets where there was already no space to move. Maybe I'm just getting old but the youth (sweeping generalisation) were utterly unbearable this year.

I understand that drug taking is a part of Glasto and has been since day one, but changed to coked up bellends chatting to their mates rather than taking something and enjoying the music. Had to tell one bunch of Tories to STFU or fuck off during Noel Gallagher, 'raahh sorry bro.'

There was also a severe lack of toilets, I'm no diva and will shit or piss anywhere, however, when the festival pushes for not peeing on the land and you're waiting 40 mins in Pylon it gets towards not having any other option. Why remove urinals? Having them reduces any queue by at least 45%. That's without the 10 empty spotless "VIP" composts just out of sight that no peasants were allowed to use.

Rant over. Class weekend, see you all next year hopefully!

Love Glasto Hate Tories

to be fair you have no idea if they are tories...you mean they are a bit posh?

• Upvote 1

I had a panic attack yesterday for the first time in my life waiting for Mcfly at Avalon. got there during Kate Rusby so we were inside near the edge of the tent. People just kept surging forward until I was jammed with no space between people wearing backpacks front and back. Trying to get out two mins before they came on stage I was met with lines of pushchairs - why people would have their kids in crowds like that I don't know. I was clearly on the verge of throwing up and people looked at me like I just shot their cat, telling me watch where you're going. It was dangerous and no safety stewards anywhere. Ruined the rest of the day for me and I'm really considering not coming back again 

12 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

I had a panic attack yesterday for the first time in my life waiting for Mcfly at Avalon. got there during Kate Rusby so we were inside near the edge of the tent. People just kept surging forward until I was jammed with no space between people wearing backpacks front and back. Trying to get out two mins before they came on stage I was met with lines of pushchairs - why people would have their kids in crowds like that I don't know. I was clearly on the verge of throwing up and people looked at me like I just shot their cat, telling me watch where you're going. It was dangerous and no safety stewards anywhere. Ruined the rest of the day for me and I'm really considering not coming back again 

that's rough, sorry to hear that. I thought too crowded also, and my daughter really struggled a few times. It's all very well say go to quiet places etc, but sometimes hard to get to these quieter places without getting crushed somewhere on the way. In the end, there are too many people in there. Maybe it's always like that, it's the way it is...but it isn't very chill, and just feels dangerous at some point. They put up the fence in early 2000s because of overcrowding, and now feels the same, if not worse.

Less spacey weirdos, less people smiling, more people getting pissed off you step near their camping chair at the front of the fucking stage, more coke, more people talking over acts, worse vibes, saw two c**ts bike their kids through the Diana Ross crowd, with then being towed on the back, they scratched past this poor woman's wheelchair.

If this is what glastonbury is turning into - just Reading (coked up yoofs) and dreadful old tories sitting at the front and treating it like their local cheese and cider festival I'm really not feeling next year. I'm glad to see you all had a good time!

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok...I'm all for anti-scouse stuff for fun...but considering certain past events with Liverpool fans and fences this isn't funny.

Not sure he was joking? 

I am sorry to add to the stereotype confirmation, but the only people I’ve ever met who have successfully jumped the fence have been scousers. 

See also the fella who got in with a female ticket by wearing full make up and a wig!! 

I am sure it’s a minority of course, but do feel that they don’t help their reputation with their behaviour sometimes to be honest. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kaytee... said:

M fly should have never been placed in the Avalon. Far too many folk wanted to see them. They would have been good other stage openers   

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

51 posts and no profile picture. If you’re going to use an alt account to defend yourself rather than apologise, at least try a bit harder than that. 

Huh? Apologies for what? 

I didn’t make the initial comment. Just simply passed my own observations on the subject on. That’s what forums are for aren’t they? 

Just to further clarify, I have family in Liverpool and spend some time there. Lovely place full of lovely people, I was merely making comment on the wrong type of scousers who sadly seem to flock to Glastonbury. 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Empty head spreading carp 🙂 

With all due respect, having been fairly new here this weekend and really enjoyed the community on the whole.. the only person who seems to have an aggressive agenda on almost every thread is you. Very strange behaviour. Seems odd to spend so much time on here seemingly looking for arguments. 

Anyway, apologise to the person before if they took offence to my comment. Certainly was not my intention. Was making an honest and innocent observation.

52 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok...I'm all for anti-scouse stuff for fun...but considering certain past events with Liverpool fans and fences this isn't funny.

It was not intending to be funny. I've been to a number of festivals - it was an observation. Londoners and scousers were the biggest jibbers

Edited by willgooneday

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

There is a very simple solution to not getting caught in crushes between acts. Don't leave straight away in-between acts. WAIT.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Reading the comments though thah wouldn't of worked as you had waves pushing in and out so if you stayed you would be stuck.  All a bit impossible and dangerous.  Clearly too many people on site 

The issue is the size of the venue + people attending. It was ridiculous, I wrote this on Sat after having a think about my first ever Glasto: 

Not being a massive band geek, there were a few names on the lineup I was interested in, unfortunatley, those DJ slots were missed due to the nightmare that was Arcadia. I lost friends/ couldn't meet (or move) at the Glade Thursday night, fought slow moving crowds trying to get out of TLC/ West Holts before they started, and spent the rest of the festival avoiding such things. 

Whilst I have had a cracking festival, feeling forced into other areas due to not wanting to shove my way through a ridiculous amount of people, I don't feel that I'll be going again. 

I thought the park/sign was going to be empty, then i found these two pics online..Theres no acts on here  

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

Have to echo some of the sentiment here. This was my fifth Glastonbury and the crowd felt really different. Put simply, the same magic wasn’t there. More aggressive people, more people disinterested in the music and more interested in just getting wasted (the amount of people taking coke and then just standing there lifeless talking to their mates and not even barely dancing was bizarre..) and less consideration for others.

It was PERFECT during Macca in the pit and a few other acts, but the general feeling coming out of this year is it was nowhere near as pleasant as I remember. For lack of a better description it felt like any other festival crowd and lost the unique Glastonbury vibe. The highs were the highest I’ve had at the festival but they are really tempered by a feeling of sadness and relief to be home, which is a bit gutting!

Oh and it clearly felt over sold.

Edited by jparx
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

This forum is bonkers. So every person that annoyed anyone is automatically Torie scum and we all must hate Tories. Hating people for having different political views to you makes you the bellend, not them. It's a very left wing attitude to hate people with different views, it's a sad state of affairs really. And before you all jump on the bandwagon, don't automatically assume that I am one too. 

I don't think this year was any worse than any other year in terms of number of dickheads around. Ignore them and move on, there was an overwhelmingly larger contingent of nice lovely people having fun.

• Upvote 5