The one you wish you'd been at...

am00

17 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Nobody wishes they were at 2007.

Admit, we had a blast. Got our heads around it early doors and cracked on. A lot of things blur into one but do remember it being remarkably enjoyable and even commenting on it.

Not sure I would have the same headspace for it now mind.

As for the year, then probably 2009, as only one I missed since I started, or 1981 as I was a bit young to be allowed to go.

Edited by fred quimby

Are we talking about time traveling to one we missed? Much as I now would have loved to see Bowie, I'm pretty sure my idiot teenage self wouldn't have made the right choice if I'd gone in 2000.

Anyway, I'd have to say 2017 (the only year I haven't managed to get a ticket since I started in 2004).

I’m another one on the 2000 pile. Bowie, plus pre-super fence. Last chance to experience a festival from a bygone era. I remember watching the footage from the Battle of the Beanfield on Newsround. I’d love to go back and mix with that crowd at that time(ish). 

Oh God... here goes

Foo Fighters. I binned them off for the carcrash that was The Jacksons. I'd convinced myself I never liked The Foos as they were a 'bit samey'. Struggled through the appalling sound at West Holts then met up with my OH and friends back at the tent and listened to them talk about how amazing they were. Still wasn't too bothered with my decision until I got home and watched the footage. I decided they were fab and then saw them a few times when they toured. 

On the plus side, I did see an amazing set by Alison Moyet in Leftfield just before The Jacksons which made my night tolerable 

Actual festivals I wasn't at though - 2000, cos Bowie 

Edited by Digi

21 hours ago, sedra said:

I left Sunday morning in 2007 we had had enough by then - it wasn’t just the mud it was the incessant rain from Thursday to Sunday. It was a bit like 98 in that regard - I also left early on Sunday morning then ( family emergency). Wish I’d been at 94. 

Once it was clear that Sunday was also going to be constant rain I too headed home, it felt very bleak 😞 

23 hours ago, Superscally said:

Interested to see what the 97/98 crowd think if they went to 2007 this year. 25th anniversary of 97 and 15th anniversary of 2007... 

I don’t remember much about ‘97, not sure if that’s down to excessive indulgence (it was my first ever festival & I went a little OTT) or my subconscious trying to erase the worst of the experience. 😐 

I’m still not sure how much of Radiohead’s headline set that year is my own memory versus watching it back a few times over the years 😂

I wasn’t there myself in 2007 but reckon ‘97 and ‘98 were definitely worse. 2016 was nowhere near as bad, although subjectively it sometimes felt horrendous. I put that down to being 19 years older and not an invincible teenager any more. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve been going since 2009 which only had a massive storm Sunday night I think? 2016 was a pain in the arse for mud but it wasn’t a miserable rainy one. 2011 was muddy but pretty much fine every day except arriving on Wednesday and headline time Friday. 2014 I completely forgot about the storm closing stuff down, was that Saturday evening? I remember the rain on that Saturday afternoon getting me down but overall the festival was muddy too but again not miserable.

If 97, 98 and 07 were as bad as people say, I think we’ve been pretty lucky since.

2000, 2005 for me. 2000 Bowie (obviously), tried really hard in 2005 but failed. Managed all since 2007, some resale, some working, etc.

I did go pre-fence 87/89/90, yes the Waterboys were great!! (And will be this year, but I fear a Macca clash with Waterboys in Accoustic headline slot). Those early ones were crazy and we were obviously younger. 2 of them I went with the same friend who luckily keeps a journal. So when I see Pixies at EoTR this year it won’t be the first time apparently 😂

And we left early in 1990. I think because that year we camped in the car parks and the stewards made us take our tent down each morning and we couldn’t be bothered to put it back up again.

01D7F351-EAE4-4FD6-BEE2-9EA92018C863.jpeg

8F470E68-06D7-4216-8AB2-420A0ABCC827.jpeg

Edited by Neville Street

2014 for me. Not necessarily for the lineup but I started on 2010 and had been to 10,11 and 13 so 2014 was the first time I missed out on tickets, which was devastating.

added to that I just broke up with someone who ended up getting tickets and I found out she was going out with my best mate. So, I sat in front of the tv, on my own, getting wound up that they were there and I wasn’t. Pretty bad reasons tbh but I would have done almost anything to be there that year.

10 hours ago, jimmillen said:

I don’t remember much about ‘97, not sure if that’s down to excessive indulgence (it was my first ever festival & I went a little OTT) or my subconscious trying to erase the worst of the experience. 😐 

I’m still not sure how much of Radiohead’s headline set that year is my own memory versus watching it back a few times over the years 😂

I wasn’t there myself in 2007 but reckon ‘97 and ‘98 were definitely worse. 2016 was nowhere near as bad, although subjectively it sometimes felt horrendous. I put that down to being 19 years older and not an invincible teenager any more. 

2007 was a lot worse than 2016.

1 hour ago, waltere said:

Almost certain it was late afternoon/early evening Friday

Correct. 

We left the Pyramid field after De La Soul to get some food and a pint in the market area and as we were doing so the heavens opened big time....managed to run back to our tents in Hawkwell, but couldn't work out why Rudimental weren't on stage as we crossed through Kidney Mead and over the top to get to our camp.

Then hid there until it was safe which also meant we had to listen to Lily Allen screech for a while until we departed to go and see Jurassic 5 at West Holts!

Edited by gooner1990

20 hours ago, Simsy said:

Are we talking about time traveling to one we missed? Much as I now would have loved to see Bowie, I'm pretty sure my idiot teenage self wouldn't have made the right choice if I'd gone in 2000.

Anyway, I'd have to say 2017 (the only year I haven't managed to get a ticket since I started in 2004).

Ha ha - this is me - i went in 99 and 2000 - spent probably 95% of our time at the camp site on Big Ground? over looking the Pyramid, could kind of hear the main stage, so whilst technically i did see Bowie, i really didn't. 

Spent most of the weekend smoking our stash and sticking matches into one of the many 3 for £5 flares we had bought and competing to see whose match stayed in the longest. Had an absolute blast.