Wellies, walking boots or trainers???????

Becx99

On 5/31/2022 at 9:15 PM, JoBalls said:

Only person I know who regretted boots at a festival was my pal who bought a brand new pair the week of Latitude, and didn’t wear them in. She ended up barely able to walk, and Latitude is only a fraction of the size of Glastonbury.

My advice is if you’re thinking of changing to boots you need to get them now and you need to have them on your feet every day between now and the festival. 

This has given me the nudge I needed... Walking boots purchased and will be going on as soon as they arrive! 

I always take wellies but have only worn them properly once (the horrendous 2016 mudfest) and briefly in other years when there is a quick shower. Otherwise I wear old trainers which I find to be comfiest for the long days and many steps! 

I always bring my wellies. I use these: https://www.gillmarine.com/tall-yachting-boots/. They are super comfy and have proper ankle support and with a gel insole I could climb a mountain in these. In 2016 they were a godsend and I even wore them in 2017 a bit because they were the most comfortable footwear I brought, can't remember what other shoes I had that year but these are the king of wellies and I'll likely bring them again this year as they fit in the rucksack. A decent pair of hiking boots are more expensive and id never use them but I use these all year round.

49 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I always bring my wellies. I use these: https://www.gillmarine.com/tall-yachting-boots/. They are super comfy and have proper ankle support and with a gel insole I could climb a mountain in these. In 2016 they were a godsend and I even wore them in 2017 a bit because they were the most comfortable footwear I brought, can't remember what other shoes I had that year but these are the king of wellies and I'll likely bring them again this year as they fit in the rucksack. A decent pair of hiking boots are more expensive and id never use them but I use these all year round.

I find the smoothness of the sole a  bit scary.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

People who wear wellies shouldn't be allowed to buy tickets. 

People who judge who should and shouldn’t be allowed to buy tickets shouldn’t be allowed to buy tickets.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

People who judge who should and shouldn’t be allowed to buy tickets shouldn’t be allowed to buy tickets.

Do not wear wellies, and you will not be judged. Do not wear wellies, and you will not be condemned. Wear walking boots, and you will be forgiven

Luke 6:37-42

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Always bring wellies and in fact if there’s any chance of rain/mud anytime in the weekend we wear them going on site, wellies are heavy and awkward so easier to wear them than carry them. Trainers or walking shoes in the bag. 

This is what I do! Been doing it for years. Wear wellies to the festival and have Converse ready in my rucksack.

3 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I wore my yachting wellies in 2007 and found the lack of beefy tread made them dangerous on the slippery liquidy mud, especially when it was over a metal trackway - the route back to our workers' campsite, was a long side-sloping trackway, and I was the only one hanging on to the heras fencing to stop myself sliding down into the adjacent vehicle route.  They're great on wet boat decks, and they do work in more sticky, chunky mud, but I've just used farmers wellies since my 2007 experience.  (I avoid wearing wellies as long as possible to avoid churning the ground, but once the mud has set in, I'll switch to them as I never have problems with my feet.)

On 6/1/2022 at 9:24 AM, 4AssedMonkey said:

This for the win.

I've got the older version of these:

Unisex Muck Boots Dark Green Edgewater II Tall Boots (muckbootcompany.co.uk)

Bought them in a sale around 8 years ago and they're great.  I regularly do 5-6 mile walks with the dog in them through the winter and they are so comfy.  Proper padded insole, not overly sweaty.  Bit pricey but absolutely worth every penny.  Not all wellies are created equal.

I love my Muck Boots (Same as in the link). Lasted a full year until Christmas Day dog walk in the countryside, the left one split at the back of my heel and flooded in water. Warranty wasn't worth anything as purchased on Amazon, but they told me if I purchased with them, they could have replaced instantly!

Buy cheap, buy twice I always say!

I'm open to changing my opinion, but I always think when I see people in wellies "Someday, they'll discover the joy of walking boots"

Wellies offer nothing you won't get from a good pair of walking boots, but have massive downsides.

If it's actually a mudfest like 2011 / 2016 you'll see people in wellies struggling in groups as they are sucked off their feet in the mud. 

On the other hand if it's hit they chafe horribly on your legs and are really uncomfortable 

21 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, but in a knee high welly version. Karrimor doesn't seem to have them, but can anyone recommend some? I have some really thick ones I've been using for years and could use them again, but they're a bit hot. I could really do with something more breathable, but that will still protect my heels.

Far too many to sort through online so recommendations would be most welcome!

These are great mate. The price is for a three pack which is good for Merino sock's.  I purchased a 3 pack about 5 years ago which have done 15 - 20 festivals, numerous Snowdonia walks and general schlepping about the Wirral and still have years left in them.

https://danishendurance.com/products/merino-wool-hiking-socks

4 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I'm open to changing my opinion, but I always think when I see people in wellies "Someday, they'll discover the joy of walking boots"

Wellies offer nothing you won't get from a good pair of walking boots, but have massive downsides.

If it's actually a mudfest like 2011 / 2016 you'll see people in wellies struggling in groups as they are sucked off their feet in the mud. 

On the other hand if it's hit they chafe horribly on your legs and are really uncomfortable 

I disagree. Fully understand that wellies aren't comfortable for everyone but I've been wearing bog standard b&q ones to festivals with no complaints. The times that I did wear walking boots (97 &98) I was cursing every time I had to put them on and take them off, with mud caked laces it was taking 20 mins each time and my hands were filthy (no-one was carrying handy bottles of hand sanitiser back then). They were useless in the deep liquid mud so I had to join the crowds shuffling along the walkways or my feet would get soaked

Wellies were a game changer for me, the freedom to wade through the liquid mud meant I could breeze past the crowds on the walkways. I know there's gaiters but that sounds like extra faff and expense to me.

Dunno why I'm bothered though,  it's gonna be trainers and flip flops anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Wurzelcat said:

I disagree. Fully understand that wellies aren't comfortable for everyone but I've been wearing bog standard b&q ones to festivals with no complaints. The times that I did wear walking boots (97 &98) I was cursing every time I had to put them on and take them off, with mud caked laces it was taking 20 mins each time and my hands were filthy (no-one was carrying handy bottles of hand sanitiser back then). They were useless in the deep liquid mud so I had to join the crowds shuffling along the walkways or my feet would get soaked

Wellies were a game changer for me, the freedom to wade through the liquid mud meant I could breeze past the crowds on the walkways. I know there's gaiters but that sounds like extra faff and expense to me.

Dunno why I'm bothered though,  it's gonna be trainers and flip flops anyway. 

Completely agree with this.  And once waterlogged they never really dry out again so you end up with trench foot.

All depends on the type of mud you're dealing with I suppose. I have size 13 feet and when the mud is thick the wellies get sucked off your feet and even when you can get the Welly out it's often caked with a kg or 2 of mud just to knacker you even more. 

The splashy, puddly type mud is best navigated in wellies however. 

Agree that trench foot is an issue in walking boots too and that they are a fucking faff to take off and out back on when caked in mud