People who have hated Glastonbury

e_p

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Yes, I’m afraid it’s true. No I can’t explain it either. In fact their CV was very close to the top of the hill of death so there wasn’t even much of a trek required to get on site.

I always find myself getting twitchy if I'm at my tent beyond the morning and rarely go back until I go to bed.  I have a real FOMO.  I no longer have a planned itinerary a la V Fest days but would definitely rather be randomly wandering than at my tent.  

32 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

Same 95, no tent but had a bag with spare socks and undies etc although only had a pair of shorts and no spare pants. Doh. 

This was us in 2000.  Travelled light because we were going over the fence, arrived and discovered we'd both only packed T-shirts, socks and pants with a load of granola bars along with our £9.99 poundstretcher tent (which survived 3 festivals, somehow).

Kitted ourselves out with some long trousers and a blanket each from Joe bananas and we were sorted for the weekend.

29 minutes ago, Sku said:

I had a friend who stayed at the campsite all day at a festival, because he was worried he would have his tent robbed. He didn't see anything all weekend, he just got drunk at the campsite.

I had a friend who used to come and just sit in their tent and get stoned for five days , she had a great time. and there was always someone back at camp.

8 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s definitely an advantage for people with male equipment to use a lenor bottle in the middle of the night. Definitely a struggle for the opposite equipped although there may be an alternative bottle. 

Why lenor bottles are the receptacle of choice is down to the wide neck, opaque bottle and usually still has a bit of a fresh smell. 

It’s shape is also unique compared to drinks bottles so when you’re fumbling around in the dark you know you have the right bottle. 

For those not wanting to take the trek to the loos in the rain and mud during the night it’s a must pack. It’s far better doing that than being one of those scruffy twats who just piss on a neighbouring tent. I have been at festivals where they do that. 

The Lenor bottle (other makes are available) is a definite on my packing list, in fact it is always in the van. Only ever had one mishap and that was an overflow issue ☹️

Mrs Boomtowners swears by her female receptacle, she doesn't want to leave the comfort of her bed in the he middle of the night 

22 minutes ago, Spindles said:

This was us in 2000.  Travelled light because we were going over the fence, arrived and discovered we'd both only packed T-shirts, socks and pants with a load of granola bars along with our £9.99 poundstretcher tent (which survived 3 festivals, somehow).

Kitted ourselves out with some long trousers and a blanket each from Joe bananas and we were sorted for the weekend.

Mrs Boomtowner arrived at Reading 1990 with a blanket and a bin bag. Not sure if that qualifies as hardcore or just plain stupid. Not even a change of clothes! Apparently, her friend swapped the blanket for a couple of fags.

4 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

Just to bring this back on track to toilet chat…  my mate ended up sat next to a pile of spilt travel John, like that half coagulated blobby frogspawn stuff. He was not familiar with the travel John concept and poked the pile asking ‘what’s with this weird pile of ice that’s half melted’

never seem someone shift it to a hand washing station so quickly 

Reminds me of that video of the raver, at a festival in Holland I assumed. A female journalist is in the toilet areas with a film crew doing interviews, some spangled guy comes out of the portaloo and starts talking to her, whilst at the same time, he picks up some soap out of a sink, only its not soap and its not a sink. He picked up a "pineapple chunk" out of one of the urinal troughs and started washing his hands with it. The look on his face when she tells him what it is was priceless. 

I can understand why some people don't like it. I have a few friends who wouldn't attend a festival in a million years and I probably could convince one or two of them to go to one but I know they wouldn't enjoy it and would just bring the mood down so I don't bother. Glastonbury is great but it's hard work at times especially if the weather is extreme one way or the other. As good as it is I don't know if it's actually a great intro to festivals? It's kind of like jumping at the deep end. I'm glad I did smaller festivals first so I at least knew what festivals were all about.

1 hour ago, SouthbanKen said:

Reminds me of that video of the raver, at a festival in Holland I assumed. A female journalist is in the toilet areas with a film crew doing interviews, some spangled guy comes out of the portaloo and starts talking to her, whilst at the same time, he picks up some soap out of a sink, only its not soap and its not a sink. He picked up a "pineapple chunk" out of one of the urinal troughs and started washing his hands with it. The look on his face when she tells him what it is was priceless. 

I remember that! Was it on Eurotrash? 

46 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

I dont remember but it sounds exactly like the kind of thing that would have been. 

This is the clip, it’s from a Dutch TV show:

The female reporter was also involved in another funny clip:

Edit: in fact I’m not sure it’s the same reporter, but I always thought it was!

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Like 1

My friends { mainly from London } went with me 1979 - 1981 - 1983 - 1984
but were well upset over the Heavy Mud in 1985 so very few wanted tickets to 1986 but I was able to get more back in 1987 which by Sods law was another year of the Mud - I am still in contact with a few ## and I know out of that group of friends ' None ever Visited again ' ##

I am sure they think I am completely Nuts to keep going back.

3 photos from 1987 - B/W is not my photo but it gives a good idea of what it was like - that was a hired van but they tried to drive it though the crowd { next field to the Pyramid stage } why I don't have a Bloody clue but it upset enough people so the Van was attacked and the next day it was burnt out - I wonder if they got their deposit back !!!

You will Note ' No photos from 1985 ' - at the time I owned a semi pro Nikon F2 SLR { worth a fortune } and there was no bloody way was I going to lose that in the mud - so no images from 1985.

its a shame as some I am sure would have loved to have been a Volunteer but after 85 and 87 they were not prepared to return to Glastonbury. 

worker63635-3.thumb.jpg.2277b31cea97fcdc3cfdea7db6c81811.jpgworker6363542.thumb.jpg.993b1cf2e5e89e9a593f52b6eee037a4.jpg8636403187_acc1ab551e_6k.thumb.jpg.3e01aa24f52426f97e74ced06c378f5a.jpg

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

My friends { mainly from London } went with me 1979 - 1981 - 1983 - 1984
but were well upset over the Heavy Mud in 1985 so very few wanted tickets to 1986 but I was able to get more back in 1987 which by Sods law was another year of the Mud - I am still in contact with a few ## and I know out of that group of friends ' None ever Visited again ' ##

I am sure they think I am completely Nuts to keep going back.

3 photos from 1987 - B/W is not my photo but it gives a good idea of what it was like - that was a hired van but they tried to drive it though the crowd { next field to the Pyramid stage } why I don't have a Bloody clue but it upset enough people so the Van was attacked and the next day it was burnt out - I wonder if they got their deposit back !!!

You will Note ' No photos from 1985 ' - at the time I owned a semi pro Nikon F2 SLR { worth a fortune } and there was no bloody way was I going to lose that in the mud - so no images from 1985.

its a shame as some I am sure would have loved to have been a Volunteer but after 85 and 87 they were not prepared to return to Glastonbury. 

worker63635-3.thumb.jpg.2277b31cea97fcdc3cfdea7db6c81811.jpgworker6363542.thumb.jpg.993b1cf2e5e89e9a593f52b6eee037a4.jpg8636403187_acc1ab551e_6k.thumb.jpg.3e01aa24f52426f97e74ced06c378f5a.jpg

I remember walking past that van as it went up in flames, there was a narrow path through the water sitting on top of the mud. It was quite a panicky moment, as it was dark and a case of everyone trying to escape a van exploding while not being trampled in the muddy water 😮

Edited by Kizzie
spelling

15 hours ago, Sku said:

I had a friend who stayed at the campsite all day at a festival, because he was worried he would have his tent robbed. He didn't see anything all weekend, he just got drunk at the campsite.

A mate of mine (who used to do a lot of festivals) bought a ticket for Reading on autopilot one year because he 'always went' and then realised he didn't like much of the line up.

Not one to turn down five days at a festival getting mashed, he sat in our campsite for the entire weekend apart from getting convinced to come into the arena on the Saturday evening, he saw 15 mins of Beck and then decided that he preferred sitting in the campsite talking rubbish to randoms and taking drugs and left the arena.

20 years later (and now a very sensible man with a wife and children) he still claims that it was one of the best festivals he ever did 😄

26 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

A mate of mine (who used to do a lot of festivals) bought a ticket for Reading on autopilot one year because he 'always went' and then realised he didn't like much of the line up.

Not one to turn down five days at a festival getting mashed, he sat in our campsite for the entire weekend apart from getting convinced to come into the arena on the Saturday evening, he saw 15 mins of Beck and then decided that he preferred sitting in the campsite talking rubbish to randoms and taking drugs and left the arena.

20 years later (and now a very sensible man with a wife and children) he still claims that it was one of the best festivals he ever did 😄

Me and my wife have done that. I think it was 2014. We did get to the other stage to witness the one song that I desperately wanted to hear Blondie play (atomic) and then we headed back to camp. we had an absolute ball that year at the camp. That 'may' have been the year (it was that or 2013) when a complete stranger walked up to us and asked if anybody wanted coffee. One person in our group initially said yes, then a few more did. Everybody thought he was with someone else in the group, but he wasn't. Anyway, he was as good as his word and went off and bought a stack of coffees for those that had requested them. then he stayed with us all weekend. It was only on the Sunday that he realised that we weren't the group he was meant to be meeting. he'd seen my efestivals t shirt on the first day and thought he was at Camp Triangle where he was meant to meet other solo flyers at Glastonbury. Turn out that Camp triangle were only a couple of tents deep up from our camp. I shall forever remember his return to camp on the Sunday night, wearing a smashed up top hat which was one of my mates. Apparently some of our crew had given him some strong pharmaceuticals and he was well off his head., careering around tents trying to get back to the seats at our camp. 

:@ S - we still think of you from time to time. Not sure if you read these boards any longer, but if you do, all the best from me and Stella. xxx

• Upvote 1

In fact the worst weather year I went, we spent most of the days in the circus/comedy areas (because the tents were dry and clean so you could sit down).

Had a completely different experience that year (in a good way) and I wouldn’t change it for the world.

4 hours ago, Kizzie said:

I remember walking past that van as it went up in flames, there was a narrow path through the water sitting on top of the mud. It was quite a panicky moment, as it was dark and a case of everyone trying to escape a van exploding while not being trampled in the muddy water 😮

I was there too. Scary but the crowd seemed to manage it well.

Sure I remember one in the 90's too

4 hours ago, Kizzie said:

as you will know it was stuck there at least two days before someone decided to set it on fire - I have photos { well 35mm negatives } of it being burnt out.

I kept well away as it could have gone up like a bomb. 

5 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

One of the early years (either 06 or 07), I managed to get 24 tickets for our small group and my younger brothers set of friends. They pitched their tents on the first row opposite the Other Stage and most of them stayed there all weekend. We were up by the Pyramid and everytime we called into visit, there was always someone there, they never even ventured towards the stage, quite happy conversing with the passer bys and watching the acts from their chairs.