Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Quick reminder that George Ezra has the current number one album.  He's incredibly popular, just not with people who obsessively follow these things.  

He is indeed, really popular with the general public at large, his set will be rammed and the people in the tent will love it. George seems like a really nice bloke, I'm just not that much of a fan of his music but I can see the appeal.

1 minute ago, Hotchilidog said:

He is indeed, really popular with the general public at large, his set will be rammed and the people in the tent will love it. George seems like a really nice bloke, I'm just not that much of a fan of his music but I can see the appeal.

As much as I'm not a fan, I was singing Shotgun for the rest of the day after the sign was spotted.

52 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

George Ezra is more than a solid rumour - he’s basically confirmed

Jack White on the Park seems pretty nailed on too, as does Bastille WG Thursday.

Do you usually spend the entire weekend wandering from TBA to TBA hoping it’ll be somebody massive?

No but most other times it has been someone worthwhile. Plus we've already lost one WG secret set so just seems poor to have Bastille and someone who's played the last 2 year.

Edited by D-Low

I duno why a pyramid headliner special guest would need to be widely known amongst people. Different for a full set were the stage people etc need to know.

There will be lots of famous faces side of the stage for Maccas set who could conceivably sing but are there as punters, is there a big box with ELTON JOHN MICROPHONE written on the side of it under the pyramid?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, D-Low said:

No but most other times it has been someone worthwhile. Plus we've already lost one WG secret set so just seems poor.

The other secret WG set was Metronomy who are playing elsewhere over the weekend anyway. Little was lost.

Edit - indeed it was Wolf Alice initially. Then was Metronomy. Then taken away.

Edited by hollyglasto81

It's funny that some folks think they're in a position to decide what is, or is not appropriate as a person in a TBC slot.

They can be anyone and that's part of the beauty of it. 

As with any act - it will delight some and disappoint others.

9d672790-3ee9-4f0a-9aa6-1ba0896f2aaa_text.gif

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Quick reminder that George Ezra has the current number one album.  He's incredibly popular, just not with people who obsessively follow these things.  

I think he's decent and enjoyed him live before but in all fairness this album is a huge drop off. Lacks the two huge lead singles (paradise/shotgun) that the last one had, instead theres what - green green grass? doesn't even compare!

12 minutes ago, D-Low said:

No but most other times it has been someone worthwhile. Plus we've already lost one WG secret set so just seems poor to have Bastille and someone who's played the last 2 year.

Foals 2019 - played in 2016

Elbow 2017 - played in 2014

Literally can’t remember any of the other recent ones other than The Killers, but seems like you’re probably being pretty selective in your memory of the special guests not having played the festival recently. They’re almost always friends of the festival who play often.

• Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Just the crowd where I was, and I couldn't find my mates. And I didn't particularly want to watch Foals anyway. Can't comment on the performance!

Yeah the park stage can be bad as there is a steep hill on the right of the stage as you look at it. Feels like the crowd is massive. 

The left side by the wall is the best place it'd high up as well 

56 minutes ago, benc said:

Taking my sister this year, and she's utterly clueless... she text me over the weekend:

'I think Fleetwood Mac are going to show up, but I think it's rumours'

I replied, nice joke!

she didn't understand, and said it's rumours that she read online somewhere

Proper partridge stuff that

Not Partridge, flight of the conchords! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR3SLhcbcxo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VanderlyleTea said:

According to now at least 2 people I know that are working on site this week:

Paul McCartney will bring on Harry Styles and Elton John, possibly others.

Secret Sets are more uncertain (secret) but Paolo Nutini has apparently been floating around.

Elton is a decent shout.  London the day before, Brizzle the day after.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I have an irrational dislike of him that's entirely not his fault.

The very first time I went to parklife my friend had given me some sweets (for the very first time) to hold until later when we were to watch disclosure. Only I didn't hear the last part and ate the sweets at about 3pm and we wondered off to watch George Ezra. 

Cut to 30-40 minutes later and I'm reliably informed that during the slower songs I was yelling "it's not a fucking funeral George"

That experience has always really affected my impression of him.

😳

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I have an irrational dislike of him that's entirely not his fault.

The very first time I went to parklife my friend had given me some sweets (for the very first time) to hold until later when we were to watch disclosure. Only I didn't hear the last part and ate the sweets at about 3pm and we wondered off to watch George Ezra. 

Cut to 30-40 minutes later and I'm reliably informed that during the slower songs I was yelling "it's not a fucking funeral George"

That experience has always really affected my impression of him.

😳

He he, sweets 🙂 

3 minutes ago, RossTC said:

Are him and Macca even pals? And Elton certainly isn't with the festival having never played!

Elton is on my shortlist for a 2023 headliner, so maybe him getting a taste of the festival makes sense?  Plus he's probably driving past that day!

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

His single is playing every.fucking.hour. on the shit radio station at my work. I will be as far as possible from the tent at that time. Whoever plays at Avalon really.

28 minutes ago, RossTC said:

Are him and Macca even pals? And Elton certainly isn't with the festival having never played!

Elt and Lennon were big pals so I'm sure his & Macca's paths have crossed. Reg did a good version of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds FWIW....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Clarence Clemons said:

its a track on the amazing captain fantastic album, 1975 baby!

(on the reissue, sure -  sadly in the 70s Elt also said  "'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' is a song that I never do in a set at a concert simply because it reminds me too much of John Lennon." so I doubt we'll see him do it)