Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

5 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

Is it normal to be one week away and have no idea AT ALL about the big secret sets?

People will have a fairly good idea, it's just not always responsible for the people running the secret glasto account to tell people far in advance. 

E.g. say it was Harry styles and they said a week out you'd get a certain group just camping out at a certain stage and they'd probably have to close the field all day to control the crowds and not cause injury.

I remember hearing on a podcast that they try to give people enough notice that they could reasonably make it there of nearby, but not so the whole site crowded in.

Edit: But if it IS Harry Styles can someone drop me a DM in advance please. 👀

Edited by Leyrulion

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

I remember hearing on a podcast that they try to give people enough notice that they could reasonably make it there of nearby, but not so the whole site crowded in.

When Fatboy played the rabbit hole, I think the tweet went out 15/20 minutes beforehand so unless your in that part of the site, you're probably not going to bother. 

Killers/Foals were hinted and confirmed late to be cautious.

It could get pretty dangerous.

4 hours ago, Little Andy said:

Their tour dates don't realistically allow that.

Lots of bands tour dates dont allow for it, but we have no knowledge about what the hell is happening. We dream til the dreams are crushed. Also planes exist for a reason and Thom would be willing to sacrifice his voice for glasto it seems. The Who werent playing Glasto til they got onto the poster and stoped playing in paris. 

if thursday is Bastille then im def steering clear and will wander about and also maybe Crows Nest has something at that time. But then the main event of Bad Boy Chiller Crew  to get the thursday kicking, hehe

Edited by Suprefan

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

People will have a fairly good idea, it's just not always responsible for the people running the secret glasto account to tell people far in advance. 

E.g. say it was Harry styles and they said a week out you'd get a certain group just camping out at a certain stage and they'd probably have to close the field all day to control the crowds and not cause injury.

Edit: But if it IS Harry Styles can someone drop me a DM in advance please. 👀

Yeah, the idea is that if you're a massive fan and don't mind missing a little bit of the act if you're on the other side of the site, we've got you covered. The Fatboy set was barely attended as a result, whereas the one in The Blues the year before was rammo after we tweeted it out like a normal set, so we've been a bit spooked ever since about having thousands of people descend on a small venue because they have nothing else to do, yet still allow the megafans to see their favourite.  It's a balancing act.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, leath02 said:

Has anyone listened back to Craig Charles comments on 6music about The Smile? It happened at 13:40 on todays show, personally dont really know what to make of it

A few days ago he played Free In The Knowledge and asked if anyone else has noticed that Thom Yorke seemed to be going for a Chris Martin sound with the vocal.

I don’t think he’s well.

15 hours ago, Magic Rat said:

Gerry Cinnamon? After JP tent 3 years ago he was surely on the way to 2,3 or 4 on Pyramid.

Finishes this leg of his tour in Dublin on 19th. Free then til July 

Please not Gerry Simpleton.

That’s just death by kick-drum.

Me and my group actually met through Bastille - if they turn out to be playing on the Thursday, that'd make my weekend. They're off on a US tour at the moment, but they would be free for that date...

Although I will cautiously add that someone asked the band at a gig ages ago if they'd be playing (before the poster came out) and the band said no... But hopefully they were just trying to avoid leaks - they gave the excuse they couldn't play twice in a row, but considering Years&Years will be doing exactly that... Not very convincing.

3 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I personally don't see Bastille as a sub headline act. Especially with their position in 2019. 

I think the original rumour was a pyramid level act,  then it is a follow up hint from someone who has heard the rumour of who it (and I think from a few sources). It's their interpretation of the size of the band,  they were really just saying it's not a pyramid headliner but someone pretty big. So it's definately open to speculation how big someone is. And lord knows how we love to spend time talking about whether a band is big enough to sub or where they should be on the lineup. 

I wouldn't let the fact that Bastille may or may not be a sub headliner size mean that it isn't them...although it may not be them 😀

18 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

Is it normal to be one week away and have no idea AT ALL about the big secret sets?

There was no word about Libs 2015 until the day of their set, or day before at a push. From what I remember anyway. Stuff is more likely to be leaked sooner these days.

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Libertines was a pretty well kept secret. I can remember still not being 100% sure until the banner came down, but that might just be because you never are with these things.

I was sure it was going to be them. So was somewhere else!

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Libertines was a pretty well kept secret. I can remember still not being 100% sure until the banner came down, but that might just be because you never are with these things.

Funnily enough given this year’s rumours, the other name we kept hearing on site that day was Bastille! Thank god it wasn’t their banner that came down. 

I do remember trying to work out from equipment/number of mics on stage if it was Libs or not though. 

14 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

He’s got a decent voice though after hearing him on glasto cast 

My performance on Kamikaze Karaoke in 2010 was testament to this. Can't believe I haven't been invited back.

Anyways... I was contacted today by someone saying they have a mate who works at Ticketmaster and they've heard it's Green Day.

Don't see the Ticketmaster connection myself but and still don't think it will be them.

But...