Bar Prices predictions 2022

Jimmyjam1

18 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Does it actually stop people buying though?

Can't say I've ever looked at the price of a pint and thought, "That's 50p more than I'm willing to pay".

Depends what's left in your pocket presumably? 

I'm sure we've all been on the lash and come back with nowt

46 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Depends what's left in your pocket presumably? 

I'm sure we've all been on the lash and come back with nowt

That all went out the window when card payments became so prevalent.

Usually just wake up with a headache and far too many bar receipts! 

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Can't say I've ever looked at the price of a pint and thought, "That's 50p more than I'm willing to pay".

Certainly outside of a Festival environment, I've been in a group that's walked into a bar*, seen the prices and immediately said "fuck that", and went down the road to somewhere far more sensibly priced**.

Albeit that was well probably about 15 years ago. My finances are more comfortable now so it wouldn't be as strong a reaction but I still resent paying (what I consider to be) over the odds - and plenty people do need to watch what they spend in which case that extra ~50p a pint repeated many times over the course of a few days can add up to something that's a deal breaker.

* Worlds End in Camden - first time we'd been in That London for a while so the prices caused genuine shock.
** Belushis, where we had a great night.

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

I’m unsure tbh, I know I’d personally be less inclined to have a full day session on pints at £6 rather than £5.50*, it’s the mentality side of it- but agreed at a festival it’s a much more care-free environment so it might not be an awful lot of difference in price for the large majority of punters 

*it would never fully stop me ofc , but I’d be more mindful about it

24 minutes ago, incident said:

Certainly outside of a Festival environment, I've been in a group that's walked into a bar*, seen the prices and immediately said "fuck that", and went down the road to somewhere far more sensibly priced**.

Albeit that was well probably about 15 years ago. My finances are more comfortable now so it wouldn't be as strong a reaction but I still resent paying (what I consider to be) over the odds - and plenty people do need to watch what they spend in which case that extra ~50p a pint repeated many times over the course of a few days can add up to something that's a deal breaker.

* Worlds End in Camden - first time we'd been in That London for a while so the prices caused genuine shock.
** Belushis, where we had a great night.

This was your error, going here in the first place!

The worst bar I have ever been in!!

Camden is fine as long as you avoid the old main drag and know where you're going- the Black Heart is one of my very favourite pubs in the world, and while its not cheap you do get decent beer. The Devvy is also well worth a visit. The Good mixer is really only for britpop nostalgia.

(NB - i do like a bit of metal, and the Black Heart and the Devvy are both very much metal pubs, YMMV!)

1 hour ago, Mark_safc said:

Inflation is a lot higher than the government are suggesting. For this reason I'm going for a straight £7 per pint.

First time getting the coach this year for me so not looking forward to my hefty bar bill...

Would just not pay this. Normally bring enough of my own alcohol to last the weekend but obviously go for a few beers and ciders across the weekend but just wouldn't bother with a £7 pint unless I was absolutely battered and forgot what money was, which is a possibility tbh.

if it really does end up being 7 a pint, it's going to significantly curtail/change my boozing habits. I'm on the coach so can't bring too much beer, but will load up on spirits. 5 straight days of drinking at 7 quid a pint is ridiculous.

Can't be 7 quid a pint surely? The festival have stepped in before when things got pricey. Remember there were a few food places on the way down to the Peel from the Pyramid charging 11 quid for a plate of grub? They didnt make it back the next year. 

Edit - Not that I drink any of the cats piss they serve up in most of the bars anyway. 

Edited by The Nal

I'll happily pay £7 for a pint if its a really good beer - a belting stout or a really good NEIPA, but that'd need to give me more bang for my buck at about 7% strength etc - seven quid for a 4.1% cooking lager is absolutely not happening. i think itll be £5.50 for standard lagers, and £6.50 for yer sexier ones. Perhaps the real ale bar up by Acoustic will be between £5 and £6.  i'd be reasonably content with that, i understand they're setting up a pub in a dairy farm, it ain't straightforward! 

Maybe I’m in the minority but if it’s £7 a pint then it will make no difference to me and I’ll still use the bars, I’ll just be an extra £30-50 down by the end of the weekend which isn’t ideal but it won’t change my plans. I don’t think it will be £7 anyway

2 hours ago, Mark_safc said:

Inflation is a lot higher than the government are suggesting. For this reason I'm going for a straight £7 per pint.

First time getting the coach this year for me so not looking forward to my hefty bar bill...

I'm actually quite shocked watching it from the outside. I live in Switzerland now and in the city the going rate is 9 CHF for a 500ml lager (£7.38) and 10 CHF for cider or guinness (£8.20). The huge difference is the wages here.

A person working full time (40h) for the main supermarket can expect their take home pay to be in the region of £30k after deduction of private healthcare costs.  Rent/groceries are more than London but certainly not double. The take home for london living wage is  £19.3k assuming a 40h week for comparison purposes. I honestly don't know how people were coping even before the coming energy rises etc.! 

Although a £1 or 50p increase doesn't affect me hugely financially it does push me into considering carrying more alcohol in with me and reducing the cold pints. I'm orginally from a small town in the north west where, until recently, you could still find a pint under £3. Paying more than double of that in the UK just makes me feel ripped off.

Edited by Heather90

Glastonbury pint prices generally reflect London pub prices to a degree, and pints aren’t even £7 in those yet, so no way they will be at Glasto yet either. Certainly not for 3.8% Carlsberg.

£7 is still only the reserve of events posted above like Aintree and gigs at certain venues like Ally Pally etc. A lot of event pricing is designed to rip a captive audience off as much as is possible, Glastonbury doesn’t work like that.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

47 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Maybe I’m in the minority but if it’s £7 a pint then it will make no difference to me and I’ll still use the bars, I’ll just be an extra £30-50 down by the end of the weekend which isn’t ideal but it won’t change my plans. I don’t think it will be £7 anyway

Yeah, exactly. The difference between £6.50 and £7 isn’t going to add up to massive amounts over the weekend. For it to add up to £50 you’d have to be drinking 20 pints a day for all 5 days. It’s the fact that it’s £7 for piss water that’s the biggest issue.

12 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Glastonbury pint prices generally reflect London pub prices to a degree, and pints aren’t even £7 in those yet, so no way they will be at Glasto yet either.

£7 is still only the reserve of events posted a like Aintree and gigs at certain venues like Ally Pally.

There are lots of pubs in London where it’s £7 a pint now, especially if you are on anything that considered craft, and I mean basic stuff like neck oil. I had a quick pint in spoons in Victoria yesterday (not my choice) and a San Mig in there was £5.35 and spoons are way cheaper than most pubs