Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

The Horrors might be the ones who really didn't suffer from second album syndrome. I have a soft spot for the first album despite its faults and gimmicky nature, but Primary Colours is awesome, let alone compared to the first. 

I'd throw LCD Soundsystem, Beck and The Cribs up there as acts who have haven't suffered much, if at all from diminishing returns. 

Saw Up The Bracket mentioned as a stand out first album. I'd say the follow up was pretty good, and after 10+ years Anthems For Doomed Youth was much better than most probably expected.

RHCP have to fit the take ages to release a good album description- although probably more of a Frusciante correlation.

Two Door Cinema Club scream diminishing returns to me. Their new album is pathetic - both to listen to and on Spotify etc 

On 10/3/2021 at 7:45 PM, Mardy said:

I've always been fascinated why the overwhelming majority of bands tend to get worse with every subsequent album, but authors generally don't get good until a few books into their career.

(with obviously the usual caveats and exceptions)

On 10/3/2021 at 8:48 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

It's worth remembering that unless an act is brand new to music when they record their first proper album, it's often a compilation of all their best tunes written as an unsigned band, rather than a collection of songs written in the period directly before going into the studio. Thus, the "difficult second album syndrome".

My theory has long been that 3rd albums are the breaking point.

Album one - all the good stuff you've written as you plied your trade in clubs and basements.

Album two - Some stuff you've written on the road while touring the first one plus a few decent songs written years ago that didn't make the cut for the first one.

Album three - you're too successful, too full of drugs and everyone is telling you how great you are. Result is a shit album.

From them on it's make or break, get your act together and make something a bit different from the last one or continue throwing out shite.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:51 PM, Matt42 said:

Is Appetite for Destruction (their debut) the only good Guns and Roses album?

It's the only essential one. If they'd cut the UYI albums down to at least one double, preferably a single album, they could have had another classic on their hands.

44 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

It's the only essential one. If they'd cut the UYI albums down to at least one double, preferably a single album, they could have had another classic on their hands.

Felt this at the time and still agree now. Cocaine + Axl's ego tainted everything in sight

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Album one - all the good stuff you've written as you plied your trade in clubs and basements.

Album two - Some stuff you've written on the road while touring the first one plus a few decent songs written years ago that didn't make the cut for the first one.

Album three - you're too successful, too full of drugs and everyone is telling you how great you are. Result is a shit album.

From them on it's make or break, get your act together and make something a bit different from the last one or continue throwing out shite.

Honestly, this could be copy pasted from Oasis’ Wikipedia page.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Honestly, this could be copy pasted from Oasis’ Wikipedia page.

Oasis could have stretched to a much better third album before halfway capitulating though if they didn't spunk a lot of good songs as B-sides. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I like this a lot. Nice theory. Will no doubt pass it off as my own next time we're down the boozer talking about music. Thanks Gnomi.

• Upvote 1