Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

54 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

In that case, why do they play nu metal music and dress like nu metal stereotypes? 🤔

‘Nu metal’ and ‘good’ are not mutually exclusive terms. Very often they’re not used at the same time but in some cases they are.

They had very few songs you'd actually characterise as "rap-rock" nu-metal. Although Back To School is arguably their best song.

The only reason they've been stuck with the nu-metal label is because of the time they broke through. Lots of quite diverse bands got stuck with it around 2000-2003.

• Upvote 1

Here's mine... Nobody actually likes Arcade Fire. The popularity of that band is just a joke that got out of hand.

A few people just decided one day to pretend Arcade Fire were the best band about, and said to everyone they met "You've never heard of Arcade Fire!?" so that the people that didn't know them just pretended they did to look cool, and it just kept going and going until Arcade Fire headlined Glastonbury.

2 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Here's mine... Nobody actually likes Arcade Fire. The popularity of that band is just a joke that got out of hand.

A few people just decided one day to pretend Arcade Fire were the best band about, and said to everyone they met "You've never heard of Arcade Fire!?" so that the people that didn't know them just pretended they did to look cool, and it just kept going and going until Arcade Fire headlined Glastonbury.

One of my favourite bands shirts I have ever owned is this. 

Who the fuck is Arcade Fire shirt

30 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Nu-metal is like Emo, in that most of the bands that are given that label reject it and are often offended by it 

28 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I bet folk wouldn't be half as offended by it if it was spelt "New-Metal"

1 hour ago, jump said:

The term nu metal has been binned with it only be used for nostalgia purposes now for bands like Limp Bikzit who people see for their classics songs whilst the others acts from those days like Deftones had growth past the time period are labelled with "alternative metal" instead even though it's largely the same bollocks.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

In that case, why do they play nu metal music and dress like nu metal stereotypes? 🤔

‘Nu metal’ and ‘good’ are not mutually exclusive terms. Very often they’re not used at the same time but in some cases they are.

Good post from Reddit on the topic:

I've always seen "Nu-metal" as a slang term for basically any band with rap/hip-hop elements, not a really a genre in of itself. Limp bizkit is really the only TRUE "nu-metal" band. Bands like Korn, slipknot, coal chamber, rage against the machine, mudvayne, staind, and Deftones were falsely labelled as nu metal because that's the "limp bizkit" era of music and they didn't really have any other name for those kinds of bands. One thing that always makes me cringe and that always pisses off the band members is when people say White Pony is a nu-metal album. That was the album where they purposefully stepped away from the nu-metal scene because they didn't want to be in the same genre as Fred Durst anymore. I guess in the band's eyes, calling that album nu-metal is like spitting in the face of everything the album stood for.

1 hour ago, K2SO said:

Well, I can tell you that's not true.

2 hours ago, K2SO said:

I like them but I do think they were getting an awful lot of inflated positions for a long time. It was like the industry was trying very hard to have them as the next big American band, but they really struggled to gain mainstream success with arguably very consumer friendly sounding music. 2014 was definitely their peak and it’s been a fizzle out since then. I think they’ve really struggled to establish themselves as a headliner here even though they headlined Glastonbury. Have they headlined anything here since?

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I like them but I do think they were getting an awful lot of inflated positions for a long time. It was like the industry was trying very hard to have them as the next big American band, but they really struggled to gain mainstream success with arguably very consumer friendly sounding music. 2014 was definitely their peak and it’s been a fizzle out since then. I think they’ve really struggled to establish themselves as a headliner here even though they headlined Glastonbury. Have they headlined anything here since?

They did IOW and BST since Glasto.

I was a fan of theirs from the get go and saw them on their first UK tour but my interest has waned since they did that disco album. 

7 minutes ago, jump said:

They did IOW and BST since Glasto.

I was a fan of theirs from the get go and saw them on their first UK tour but my interest has waned since they did that disco album. 

I guess they have been quite quiet on the touring front but I just don’t think of them often anymore. Maybe if they were more of a staple on the summer circuits they’d be at the top of the mind. 

In terms of previous headliners to return to headline the other stage they have to be a pretty big possibility in a few years time.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I guess they have been quite quiet on the touring front but I just don’t think of them often anymore. Maybe if they were more of a staple on the summer circuits they’d be at the top of the mind. 

In terms of previous headliners to return to headline the other stage they have to be a pretty big possibility in a few years time.

If they just cut the disco shit out they would happily win me back.

3 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

When you say 'the industry' do you mean their record company and management who have a vested interest in them being successful? If so how does that make them different to anyone else?

Also they are a Canadian based band

Do any of them live in Canada anymore?  Win and Regine live in New Orleans and Will lives in Brooklyn from what I can tell.

Funeral is a great album and Neon Bible is solid. They were incredible on that tour, I remember people singing Power Out as everyone filtered onto the street outside Brixton Academy.

After Neon Bible I got progressively less interested although fair play to them for changing their sound and not remaking the same album over and over.

Edited by benali
typo

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Ehh. I think that's like the shouts for The Cure headlining the Other Stage. The appreciation for their live show means they should always have enough of a cult following to see them comfortably headline festivals - don't really need a Glastonbury slot.

A hunch but I can see them packing it in in the next five years and growing in significance while they're no longer active, leading to a huge reunion down the line.

4 hours ago, jump said:

If they just cut the disco shit out they would happily win me back.

They can do whatever the hell they want, thats what got them to where they are in the first place. They dont owe you one damn thing when it comes to the music they make.

And a few of them still live in Canada.

14 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

They can do whatever the hell they want, thats what got them to where they are in the first place. They dont owe you one damn thing when it comes to the music they make.

And a few of them still live in Canada.

Where did I said they owe me anything? I lost interest in their disco sound so them not being disco would renew my interest.

34 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Ehh. I think that's like the shouts for The Cure headlining the Other Stage. The appreciation for their live show means they should always have enough of a cult following to see them comfortably headline festivals - don't really need a Glastonbury slot.

A hunch but I can see them packing it in in the next five years and growing in significance while they're no longer active, leading to a huge reunion down the line.

Are we far off that happening already? They’ve been pretty quiet recently.