Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

This thread presents difficulties....

All my musical opinions are controversial.

All musical opinions are controversial.

Infamously, my most controversial opinion is Jessie J - best singer in the freakin' world, bar none.

"Your most controversial music opinions"

Favourite Glastonbury moment, bar none.

Jessie J, featuring Shay, "It wasn't even planned".

Listen to the note that Jessie hits at the end here, sorry Shay (fantastic as you are). Love it like Honey

On 9/28/2021 at 4:54 PM, justanotheronethen said:

TBH I didn't know about them til I googled them after your post. It's just Jizzy now? For me no Skid = no Love/Hate.

I saw them touring their 3 albums in the very early 90s, all at the Astoria, and they were awesome gigs, great fun. Even met them at a signing at Tower Records for Let's Rumble - there were hundreds in the queue, no joke. Jizzy was miserable and Skid was drunk, all the girls wanted a photo with Householder.

What's the new incarnation like?

Yeah, I saw them back in the day supporting Skid Row and were very good.

Looked like they were going to get big at one time but, like many others, imploded before it could happen.

Was due to see the current version in Ibiza but Covid put paid to that but plan to see them next year as they are due to play there again in May.

I have noticed a few bands when they are at the stage of playing pubs and new bands nights at clubs will have a certain energy and style which is the reason I gravitate to them as it's against the grain. So I will follow them up to when they are making their first EP/album and that sound I liked has gotten lost and more often than not it's because the producer of their music who they see as someone who knows what they are doing told them to cut it out as if they are more typical it's easier for them to get noticed and accepted rather than being something different and being rejects.

Yeah, there are obviously some really massive exceptions, but I reckon for a good 90% of acts, their first album is the essential one. Diminishing returns after that. Like I say, not true in all cases, but definitely in the overwhelming majority. And hardly anybody's 5th album is the one. Can only think of a handful of people like that.

16 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, there are obviously some really massive exceptions, but I reckon for a good 90% of acts, their first album is the essential one. Diminishing returns after that. Like I say, not true in all cases, but definitely in the overwhelming majority. And hardly anybody's 5th album is the one. Can only think of a handful of people like that.

Whos next? 5th album

19 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Rubber Soul is the Beatles’ sixth album and IMO the point they started to get interesting.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Rubber Soul is the Beatles’ sixth album and IMO the point they started to get interesting.

4 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Whos next? 5th album

"Yeah, there are obviously some really massive exceptions"

"And hardly anybody's 5th album is the one. Can only think of a handful of people like that."

hehe, as I was posting it, I thought this would happen. I"m not disagreeing with any of those, I can think of a few more, but generally. Like, you know, as I said. The Beatles and the Who. Yep. No problem with that. On the other hand, I can give you a fuck-off long list of bands who's debut was great, and everything else was a poor photocopy of that early promise.

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

"Yeah, there are obviously some really massive exceptions"

"And hardly anybody's 5th album is the one. Can only think of a handful of people like that."

hehe, as I was posting it, I thought this would happen. I"m not disagreeing with any of those, I can think of a few more, but generally. Like, you know, as I said. The Beatles and the Who. Yep. No problem with that. On the other hand, I can give you a fuck-off long list of bands who's debut was great, and everything else was a poor photocopy of that early promise.

I’d be very interested in having an in-depth look at this phenomenon.  My two favourite artists/bands both produced their best album as their third album (Radiohead/Bjork).  Might have to do some research - although I guess the results will be very subjective. 

I've seen bands have real early promise on EPs and the like, but then polish it up and lose what made them interesting when the proper album came out. So frustrating from a fan perspective, although it might be what they were aiming for all along.

2 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I’d be very interested in having an in-depth look at this phenomenon.  My two favourite artists/bands both produced their best album as their third album (Radiohead/Bjork).  Might have to do some research - although I guess the results will be very subjective. 

yeah, very subjective. For me, Debut is hands down my favourite of Bjork's stuff, and Radiohead, probably the 4th/5th album is where they start to get good.

I've always been fascinated why the overwhelming majority of bands tend to get worse with every subsequent album, but authors generally don't get good until a few books into their career.

(with obviously the usual caveats and exceptions)

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

I've seen bands have real early promise on EPs and the like, but then polish it up and lose what made them interesting when the proper album came out. So frustrating from a fan perspective, although it might be what they were aiming for all along.

I once heard the Stones described as trying to do traditional blues, but failing, creating something much more interesting. The problem comes when bands get good at emulating the bands that influenced them, at which point you think - what's the point?