Jump to content

Your most controversial music opinions


CaledonianGonzo
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, K2SO said:

Here's mine... Nobody actually likes Arcade Fire. The popularity of that band is just a joke that got out of hand.

A few people just decided one day to pretend Arcade Fire were the best band about, and said to everyone they met "You've never heard of Arcade Fire!?" so that the people that didn't know them just pretended they did to look cool, and it just kept going and going until Arcade Fire headlined Glastonbury.

I like them but I do think they were getting an awful lot of inflated positions for a long time. It was like the industry was trying very hard to have them as the next big American band, but they really struggled to gain mainstream success with arguably very consumer friendly sounding music. 2014 was definitely their peak and it’s been a fizzle out since then. I think they’ve really struggled to establish themselves as a headliner here even though they headlined Glastonbury. Have they headlined anything here since?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I like them but I do think they were getting an awful lot of inflated positions for a long time. It was like the industry was trying very hard to have them as the next big American band, but they really struggled to gain mainstream success with arguably very consumer friendly sounding music. 2014 was definitely their peak and it’s been a fizzle out since then. I think they’ve really struggled to establish themselves as a headliner here even though they headlined Glastonbury. Have they headlined anything here since?

They did IOW and BST since Glasto.

I was a fan of theirs from the get go and saw them on their first UK tour but my interest has waned since they did that disco album. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jump said:

They did IOW and BST since Glasto.

I was a fan of theirs from the get go and saw them on their first UK tour but my interest has waned since they did that disco album. 

I guess they have been quite quiet on the touring front but I just don’t think of them often anymore. Maybe if they were more of a staple on the summer circuits they’d be at the top of the mind. 

In terms of previous headliners to return to headline the other stage they have to be a pretty big possibility in a few years time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I like them but I do think they were getting an awful lot of inflated positions for a long time. It was like the industry was trying very hard to have them as the next big American band, but they really struggled to gain mainstream success with arguably very consumer friendly sounding music. 2014 was definitely their peak and it’s been a fizzle out since then. I think they’ve really struggled to establish themselves as a headliner here even though they headlined Glastonbury. Have they headlined anything here since?

When you say 'the industry' do you mean their record company and management who have a vested interest in them being successful? If so how does that make them different to anyone else?

Also they are a Canadian based band

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I guess they have been quite quiet on the touring front but I just don’t think of them often anymore. Maybe if they were more of a staple on the summer circuits they’d be at the top of the mind. 

In terms of previous headliners to return to headline the other stage they have to be a pretty big possibility in a few years time.

If they just cut the disco shit out they would happily win me back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

When you say 'the industry' do you mean their record company and management who have a vested interest in them being successful? If so how does that make them different to anyone else?

Also they are a Canadian based band

Do any of them live in Canada anymore?  Win and Regine live in New Orleans and Will lives in Brooklyn from what I can tell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Do any of them live in Canada anymore?  Win and Regine live in New Orleans and Will lives in Brooklyn from what I can tell.

I think that's by the by, they met, formed and got signed whilst living in Montreal 

The Beatles moved from Liverpool in 63 or 64 would you not consider them a Liverpool band?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funeral is a great album and Neon Bible is solid. They were incredible on that tour, I remember people singing Power Out as everyone filtered onto the street outside Brixton Academy.

After Neon Bible I got progressively less interested although fair play to them for changing their sound and not remaking the same album over and over.

 

Edited by benali
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I guess they have been quite quiet on the touring front but I just don’t think of them often anymore. Maybe if they were more of a staple on the summer circuits they’d be at the top of the mind. 

In terms of previous headliners to return to headline the other stage they have to be a pretty big possibility in a few years time.

Ehh. I think that's like the shouts for The Cure headlining the Other Stage. The appreciation for their live show means they should always have enough of a cult following to see them comfortably headline festivals - don't really need a Glastonbury slot.

A hunch but I can see them packing it in in the next five years and growing in significance while they're no longer active, leading to a huge reunion down the line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jump said:

If they just cut the disco shit out they would happily win me back.

 They can do whatever the hell they want, thats what got them to where they are in the first place. They dont owe you one damn thing when it comes to the music they make.
 

And a few of them still live in Canada.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

 They can do whatever the hell they want, thats what got them to where they are in the first place. They dont owe you one damn thing when it comes to the music they make.
 

And a few of them still live in Canada.

Where did I said they owe me anything? I lost interest in their disco sound so them not being disco would renew my interest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Ehh. I think that's like the shouts for The Cure headlining the Other Stage. The appreciation for their live show means they should always have enough of a cult following to see them comfortably headline festivals - don't really need a Glastonbury slot.

A hunch but I can see them packing it in in the next five years and growing in significance while they're no longer active, leading to a huge reunion down the line.

Are we far off that happening already? They’ve been pretty quiet recently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Yeah I know.

I was just calling Arcade Fire a Canadian based band because three of them aren't actually from Canada 

They're a Canadian band but not a Canadian-based band.

Win and Will are Texans but the rest of the band are Canadian, the band formed and started out in Canada and then Win became a Canadian citizen too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Ehh. I think that's like the shouts for The Cure headlining the Other Stage. The appreciation for their live show means they should always have enough of a cult following to see them comfortably headline festivals - don't really need a Glastonbury slot.

A hunch but I can see them packing it in in the next five years and growing in significance while they're no longer active, leading to a huge reunion down the line.

I think the cure are way bigger though and have been bigger for a long time. I don’t think AF have graduated into a legacy status where they can take a long time off and come back where they were.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funeral is in my all time top 5 albums.

Neon Bible and Suburbs are both ace, next two… less so.

Theyre still a fantastic live band though, and personally I don’t care if they’re no longer “headliner status”. I’m just glad they did it.

Would love to see them come back with an album close to the standard of their early stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...