When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Mark Harper, the chair of the Covid Recovery Group, which represents lockdown-sceptic Tories, says hospital admission data is misleading because it included people testing positive for Covid, even if that is not why they were admitted to hospital. Policy should not be determined by “dodgy data”, he says.

Javid says Harper is making a “very good point”. He says he has asked for advice on whether the way the data is collected can change.

Just now, zahidf said:

Mark Harper, the chair of the Covid Recovery Group, which represents lockdown-sceptic Tories, says hospital admission data is misleading because it included people testing positive for Covid, even if that is not why they were admitted to hospital. Policy should not be determined by “dodgy data”, he says.

Javid says Harper is making a “very good point”. He says he has asked for advice on whether the way the data is collected can change.

While it pains me to agree with one of those absolute arsewipes, he's right. And while the numbers are far too low to say with any confidence, I pointed out the other day that it's possible and maybe even probable that the same applies to death numbers - in the previous waves deaths attributed to covid were significantly higher than deaths with a positive test, whereas now they're slightly lower. But the numbers are low enough that we can't say for sure and that itself should be seen as a huge positive.

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So those numbers will likely reflect the numbers that are currently going into hospital and be the same as the community transmission figures 1 in whatever the latest amount is ? It’s not dodgy data … it just needs adjusting to reflect the current figure … although it would still be a case 

Edited by crazyfool1

16 minutes ago, Radiochicken said:

Fizzling out way too quickly. Must be quite a lot of 18-30s not coming forward so far?

I think one of the problems is that it's mostly the 18 - 30s catching covid now which then means they can't be vaccinated for a month (I think it's a month). My daughter and her boyfriend both caught it a few weeks ago and they were due to be vaccinated the following day 😭

Sage says next peak in deaths almost certain to be 'considerably smaller' than in January

And here is a chart from another document just released from Sage. The document summarises the results of the three modelling exercises conducted for Sage (by Warwick University, Imperial College London and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine) looking at what might happen to case numbers, hospitalisations and deaths after 19 July.

The report says “the next peak in deaths will almost certainly be considerably smaller than that of January 2021”.

In January deaths peaked at 1,359, by date of death.

SAGE also recommends cracking on with July 19th 

28 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I think one of the problems is that it's mostly the 18 - 30s catching covid now which then means they can't be vaccinated for a month (I think it's a month). My daughter and her boyfriend both caught it a few weeks ago and they were due to be vaccinated the following day 😭

They'll still be positively contributing to our case numbers over that month - you'd imagine they won't be reinfected that quick  - the only thing it affects is vaccine numbers which are only part of the picture