When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, lemons said:

Some double vaccinated are getting symptomatic covid, negative lateral flow is self reported thing which requires no test being done. If complied with in sufficient numbers still a worthy mitigation, or just for show?

Maybe unreliable but hey, if that's what we need to do to get in, I'll take it.

3 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Maybe unreliable but hey, if that's what we need to do to get in, I'll take it.

If it’s done by everyone it will make it safer than going about day to day stuff I would guess ? Seems like decent mitigation to me 

6 hours ago, Ozanne said:

What is the fucking matter with the BBC?

"On Saturday, the country's public health institute reported more than 10,000 new Covid cases"

"But so far this has not translated into a significant increase in hospital admissions, as most of the new cases are among young people."

What about "this has not yet translated into hospitalisations, because the cases increases were on fucking Saturday"???

53 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What is the fucking matter with the BBC?

"On Saturday, the country's public health institute reported more than 10,000 new Covid cases"

"But so far this has not translated into a significant increase in hospital admissions, as most of the new cases are among young people."

What about "this has not yet translated into hospitalisations, because the cases increases were on fucking Saturday"???

'So far' shows they know that though.

I hope the thread stays open. There are still nuggets of gold in amongst the mud, 19/7 clearly won't be the end of this shit and the other threads are showing that they will still thrive when there is news to actually discuss.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I put a lot of faith in Chris Whitty.  Like he says an exit wave happens regardless of when we do it or how we do it.

With schools going out, people on holidays (arguably less bubble mixing when your off on holiday with your family or on days out) it does seem like the least worse option to get on with it now.  Less disruption for schools is a big one for me personally.

Time to strap in and hope for the best.

Yeah the debate is whether it's best to have the exit wave sooner when it'll be less disruptive or delay into the autumn when it might have a worse effect on the basis that it will be smaller then due to extra jabs in arms. I suspect no model is accurate enough to give perfect knowledge on this so given two broadly similar options it does make sense to go with the one that allows more freedoms sooner.

We will hear from Nicola today about our own plans, we are further through our school holidays so if there is any further delay up here then we'll be pushing the exit wave right when the schools go back in August, we may already be in that problematic zone even if I understand hesitancy when we were the worst in Europe for COVID last week.

45 minutes ago, zahidf said:

blimey. Uncertainty seems to be the key word. Maybe people's behaviour won't change much after 19th...those that who will want to go out and party already are, those that are cautious will continue to be so.

44 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I put a lot of faith in Chris Whitty.  Like he says an exit wave happens regardless of when we do it or how we do it.

With schools going out, people on holidays (arguably less bubble mixing when your off on holiday with your family or on days out) it does seem like the least worse option to get on with it now.  Less disruption for schools is a big one for me personally.

Time to strap in and hope for the best.

Looking at the politico article, it seems like a big gamble due to massive uncertainty. Fingers crossed it works!

Whoever said it's now running through the younger population, my nieces both got it and now my older sister does too. And my older sister has had a jab (quite why she hasn't had the second yet is beyond me; I got mine over three weeks ago).

We really have 2 sets of 'results' to look at:

Holland who unlocked with less vaccinations done than us and have now had to put back restrictions

and

Israel who unlocked with around the same level of vaccination we have and had nothing much bad happen though recently the Delta variant got there and case numbers are up - but not high and hospitalisations are not up.

We can but hope we follow the Israel trend - but they started from a couple of hundrfed daily cases where as we are already high up the mountain.

It is one hell of a gamble and the only mitigation those taking it seem to have in place is 'blame every one else'.