When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Hearing a few different anecdotal stories of people under 35 getting their vaccine done/booked in from areas without the new variant. One bloke I know actually has the text to book and he’s only 32 I think. Seems like they could be rolling it out more widely on the down low?

Yeah I posted last week that my partner's brother and partner (both 34) got theirs last week. After getting the text. And the centre I was volunteering at were letting in a few over-30s for a while but then stopped about halfway through the day (presumably to ensure they had enough for appointments).

My partner though is 37 and still hasn't been called (and can't book through the site yet).

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I posted last week that my partner's brother and partner (both 34) got theirs last week. After getting the text. And the centre I was volunteering at were letting in a few over-30s for a while but then stopped about halfway through the day (presumably to ensure they had enough for appointments).

My partner though is 37 and still hasn't been called (and can't book through the site yet).

I get it makes sense to offer where you have spare doses and can crack on, but it must be annoying seeing people lower down the priority list get it ahead of you!

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

I get it makes sense to offer where you have spare doses and can crack on, but it must be annoying seeing people lower down the priority list get it ahead of you!

Depends how often you go out - I go out a fraction of the amount somebody who works in a pub does, or even a younger person with a busy social life. I'm not bothered about waiting at all - won't make a difference to my life as I'm only doing outdoor stuff anyway 

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Well I've had it so not worried! I got it through volunteering as they usually make sure that volunteers get the leftovers at the end of the day.

Did try to get my partner in last week but another of the volunteers basically called everyone she knew over 30 to come down so they stopped taking walk-ins earlier than they might have. Sure he'll get it this week, though.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Very interesting that it may not be variant based.  Is it more about Ramadan?

In Glasgow, the outbreak is specifically in the southside which is the main area with ethnic minority populations and thus with the lowest vaccine uptake & yes i suppose ramadan a factor too.

Had my jab today, 20 years old but was offered by a local vaccination centre who had loads of spares going so offered it to my school I work in, we've now had all but 2 staff vaccinated 🙂 think the jab drive is on! 

Edited by Chapple12345
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Very interesting that it may not be variant based.  Is it more about Ramadan?

15 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

In Glasgow, the outbreak is specifically in the southside which is the main area with ethnic minority populations and thus with the lowest vaccine uptake & yes i suppose ramadan a factor too.

Yeah travel + family transmission+  a few super spreader events in one community makes perfect sense for why a certain variant would spread quickly and trigger a false alarm. Especially when prevalence is so low elsewhere of course it'll look like its a large % of our cases in the country 

Edited by efcfanwirral

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Booked in for Wednesday thanks to someone mentioning it was open to 37-year olds! 

Are places officially only using AZ for second jabs now or is it still being used for first ones in over 30s?

its not being used for under 40s except for second doses. Yours will be moderna or Pfizer

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JB15 said:

Booked in for Saturday 22nd! Lovely cool pint of Pfizer coming my way. 

Any tips to try and manage potential side effects?

I had AZN but i wouldnt drink before or after. I would probably assume you need to rest and have fluids for 24 hours after. 

Should be fine though, good news!

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah travel + family transmission+  a few super spreader events in one community makes perfect sense for why a certain variant would spread quickly and trigger a false alarm. Especially when prevalence is so low elsewhere of course it'll look like its a large % of our cases in the country 

Yeah I have also heard anecdotal reports of lots of people coming back from India/ Pakistan etc and at least in Glasgow these people will usually be congregated in specific areas which appears to be what has happened. Personally I am just in a bubble where literally no one I know is going abroad atm but there are thousands of people probs that have come back into the country from these places in recent weeks.

Low vaccine uptake again in these communites just exacerbates this.

34 minutes ago, JB15 said:

Bosh a couple of paracetamol a couple of hours before you go and keep yourself topped up with them for a bit. Sleep and fluid. 

37 minutes ago, JB15 said:

Booked in for Saturday 22nd! Lovely cool pint of Pfizer coming my way. 

Myself, my wife and my mum and dad all had the Pfizer one. Sore arm and a bit of a headache is the worst it got between us.

as posted above just hit the paracetamols and liquid, you'll be right