When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Bit weird when people shit on big pharm for doing well out of this tbh.

They have done incredibly well to create and mass manufacture the vaccines that get us out of this mess. It’s absolutely correct that they are rewarded financially for doing so. 

The point he was making is Pfizer are pretty chuffed that their vaccine is the preferred jab after all the AZ bad mouthing not that pharmaceutical companies shouldn't be allowed to make any profit.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

If delivery is considered unreliable then taking that approach is definitely fair enough, although even with that in mind I'd still expect countries to be higher than ~40-45% for Moderna given that it's been shipping for ~2 months and so there's already been a significant number of second doses at this point.

Ah, it's been a trickle to be honest. Again, can't speak for other countries, but we've gotten deliveries of about 3000 doses or so each time they have come in. It's been so small that it has been used for GPs and practice nurses in the main and to road test a few of the the mass vax hubs (administering to GPs etc to see how the system works). So, it's being used at weekends. it's not like 20,000 came in 2 months ago and then the following week another 20,000 came in, but they are sitting there unused. It's only increasing now. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Isn't AZ only not for profit for the first year ?

This is from memory and so the specifics may be slightly out, but it's broadly correct:

- In developed nations it's not for profit for the duration of the pandemic

- In the rest of the world it's not for profit forever.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Actually I think it's entirely legitimate to put France on the redlist if that's what the data tells us.

If you use clear and transparent data to establish categorisations of countries and are consistent, then that removes any potential accusations that such decisions are taken politically.

Macron doesn't exactly have a record of reacting well to empirical data at the moment.  I'd be very cautious.

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Here’s where it gets politically difficult for Johnson.

Put France on the red list and we kiss goodbye to any hope of sweet talking them into letting us have our vaccines. That would be an openly hostile move from the UK, albeit understandable given that France is seeing a surge of a variant that we want to keep out.

So it’s a question of putting them on the red list and keeping the variant out, but accepting a two month delay in the vaccine programme versus keeping them off the red list to keep Macron on our good side, hopefully talk them into giving us those vaccines, accept that the variant will cross the channel and hoping that the vaccines continue to slaughter the variant as they do the other variants. 

Oput france o n the red list and cross Channel trade becomes difficult 

I hope, whatever the EU decision this week, we maintain a moral high ground. I'd prefer us not to retaliate with banning the export of the lipids the Pfizer vaccine needs. In the longer term, this will stand us in good stead.

Also, would any EU export restrictions not have to also include the USA? The Italians have already done this for Australia. Can they afford to create so much ill feeling?

On 3/19/2021 at 5:18 PM, Barry Fish said:

Something to consider is the fact we are currently muzzling the kids all day long (and causing all sorts of behavioural and mental health problems) and there is a review of this at Easter.

I didn't know that but it's the sort of bold thinking in dealing with teenage obesity that I'd usually support!

On 3/20/2021 at 2:58 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, although I'm broadly in favour of the unlocking plan and the timescales, the restrictions on informal outdoors meeting can get in the sea.

People seem to think statements like these are arguments to speed up the roadmap, when actually they're arguments to slow it down - if you know some people are going to ignore the restrictions, you have to account for that, which means stricter rules. If you could guarantee 100% compliance the roadmap could indeed be quicker.

23 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

But will they work on a tightly packed tube ?  If we actually do listen to scientists and studies there isn’t a hope in hells chance they do.  And if they don’t what’s the reason for doing it ?

Nature article says they only work alongside distancing.

We are really far down the rabbit hole if we are going to keep doing stuff just on hope alone - even on packed tubes.

Define "work" ? Will they stop you spreading it to the two people crammed right in next to you on the tube? No. Will they stop you spreading it to the whole carriage? Yes. 

The science on this isn't hard - the virus spreads on your breath. Your breath has to go somewhere, under normal circumstances it goes out of your nose and mouth at some velocity and travels some distance. With a mask it instead goes up, down and behind you in a fairly unpredictable pattern, but doesn't travel as far.

If I'm stood 10cm behind someone, or shoulder to should with them, I am *more* likely to catch something off them if they're wearing a mask than if they're not. Hence why they only work if you're also doing some level of social distancing also. But it's much easier to stay half a meter away from someone in all directions than avoid being 3m in front of them.

23 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

It will almost definitely change to "when everyone is FULLY vaccinated" then most likely to "when everyone has had a booster against the Brazilian and SA variants". The scientists most likely always wanted it this way

Why would they want that?

14 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Why would they want that?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-56457861

Mr Drakeford said: "I want to be honest and realistic with people in Wales, rather than simply trying to paint the most optimistic picture that I can.

"I think some of the suggestions that the UK government are making seem to be at the very optimistic end of the spectrum and not fully to take into account the advice we are having of the risks that will still be with us in the rest of this calendar year."

Because they think its the right thing to do. We have two "leaders" receiving the same advice, with very different interpretations. 

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I fail to understand how (excusing a rise in cases due to our own unlocking) we will have a third wave which is due to cases elsewhere in Europe?

Perhaps someone can explain?

Sowing the seeds for anything after local elections being pushed back?

It’s looking increasingly likely we won’t be getting the loosening on the 17th May (the fun stuff). Maybe by the beginning of June?

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

I fail to understand how (excusing a rise in cases due to our own unlocking) we will have a third wave which is due to cases elsewhere in Europe?

Perhaps someone can explain?

Basically they are going to blame the third wave in Europe for any rise in cases here even if the rise here is due to the restrictions ending. Covering their arses and will be used as a soundbite if they have to go back on the agreed dates for lifting further restrictions. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Sowing the seeds for anything after local elections being pushed back?

It’s looking increasingly likely we won’t be getting the loosening on the 17th May (the fun stuff). Maybe by the beginning of June?

I don’t think that’s the case at the moment, I haven’t seen anything indicating they will delay that step of the roadmap. If anything I think they are saying this to get people away from thinking they will speed up the roadmap.