When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

29 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

From BBC live feed

Analysis: Why has Boris Johnson warned of third wave from Europe?

7507ee81-eab7-48cb-bebe-cbb8f78ce3ca.jpg

Iain Watson

Political correspondent

The prospect of a third coronavirus wave won’t engulf anyone with joy.

So why did Boris Johnson highlight this danger today?

Privately and publicly, ministers are making it clear that they don’t want to delay the dates in England’s roadmap out of lockdown.

There will be a vote in Parliament on coronavirus restrictions later this week.

So by stressing the risk that the virus still poses, the PM may be hoping to convince restless backbenchers that he can’t go any quicker.

He may also be trying to persuade vaccinated people with itchy feet that booking spring or summer holidays would still be premature.

He is preparing us too for the strong possibility that cases could rise in the coming weeks - not just because of any cases that may sneak in from the EU, but because rules here are being slowly relaxed.

But by stressing the shared threat from the coronavirus - i.e. the sooner the EU population is vaccinated, the less chance of importing a third wave - his comments could be also be clearing the way for more UK/EU vaccine co-operation, and the dousing down of an inflammatory row with Brussels.

Has he been reading my posts?

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Have we any idea how well the 2nd gen vaccines are doing?  Are they targeting the SA variant?  I've not been able to find much info.  @Toilet Duck?

Howdy,

Was chatting to a member of the Oxford Team about this recently. He expected they would have firm data on the updated vaccine by June and be in a position to ask for approval shortly after (expected this to be ready for boosters for the most vulnerable heading into Autumn). They have to repeat all of the pre-clinical work they did for the first one and show that apart from the switch of the sequence, everything else they see is the same as first time around and then they can ask for approval for it to be used. Don't have to re-do the clinical trials (the regulators have also been busy agreeing on an expedited approval mechanism for updated vaccines and seem to be happy that we don't need to go back to square 1 with a clinical trial for them). One of the things they want to check is how well the updated version protects against infection/disease from the earlier variants, so they are busy doing those studies in animals at the moment. Don't know where Pfizer or Moderna are with theirs, but I expect the are in a similar place. 

Edit: sorry, I didn't answer part of your question! Yes, the updates include the E484K mutation which is the main change that is causing concern (though the recent Moderna data on the neutralising activity post-vaccination is very encouraging in this regard and should translate into good clinical outcomes, even in terms of infection with both SA and Brazil). 

Edited by Toilet Duck

39 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Was just speaking to the old man last night saying we might after to wait until May for our long awaited Beer.  Bloody cold up north 🙂 

I'm lucky in that one of my local places has some amazing heaters - went in December while we were in tier 2 and was actually too hot! Only problem is its a beer shop with limited tables outside that only opens Friday and Saturday, so hoping a couple of the other local ones can take advantage of the relaxed laws to open at all (not sure they could currently) otherwise I might have to wait til May if the small place gets booked up! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

After all the news in last few days and potential vaccine delays I was surprised and very pleased to get a text from my GP today saying I should go ahead and book.  I'm a few months off 50 and no health complications so was expecting a few weeks more waiting.  Probably just means my local area of North Yorks has some extra capacity this week, but I am booked in for tomorrow afternoon and am well chuffed. 

16 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Do we have the data on hospitalisations and if there is a week-on-week drop in those too? A c. 70% drop in deaths is huge, just would be good to see/know whether the hospitalisations are also dropping.

Yes - the data is generally a few days behind, but approximately speaking, the total number of people in hospital due to COVID is being cut in half every 3 weeks.

Edited by incident

18 minutes ago, Northtim said:

After all the news in last few days and potential vaccine delays I was surprised and very pleased to get a text from my GP today saying I should go ahead and book.  I'm a few months off 50 and no health complications so was expecting a few weeks more waiting.  Probably just means my local area of North Yorks has some extra capacity this week, but I am booked in for tomorrow afternoon and am well chuffed. 

Nice one.

51 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

How do you actually asses that right now ?  What does good even look like ?

You could argue New Zeland / Australia but they where in a position where they could pretty much cement up the borders.  Not sure that applies to the UK and our constant need to import / export.  

Countries with young populations where never going to feel the pain like ones like us with older generations as well (Spain / UK / Italy)

Just seems like loaded dice...  

New Zealand imports the bulk of its food TBF. I think the difference might be that it's not driven in on lorries.

36 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It's not confusing.

The blood clots were observed in young people so France temporarily restricted its use for young people.

Now the evidence has come back showing that blood clots aren't a problem, Spain has unblocked it but is being cautious and not (yet) using it on old people.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

It's not confusing.

The blood clots were observed in young people so France temporarily restricted its use for young people.

Now the evidence has come back showing that blood clots aren't a problem, Spain has unblocked it but is being cautious and not (yet) using it on old people.

It goes to show that individual member states within the EU can go different routes. They aren't all tied to one directive by the EU.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It's not confusing.

Lol you're not supporting the stupidity of the French and Spanish? It'll cost lives and undermine confidence.