When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

How do you actually asses that right now ?  What does good even look like ?

There is still a way to go, and those countries who have squashed community transmission will still need to land the transition through vaccination into reopening, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that countries who kept deaths low, economies functioning and citizens mostly out of lockdown have got it right compared to high death rates, tanked economies and large periods of being locked down.

You could argue New Zeland / Australia but they where in a position where they could pretty much cement up the borders.  Not sure that applies to the UK and our constant need to import / export.  

Australia and NZ continued to import and export goods (and services from people who were determined to be exempt). Closed borders refers to non-essential travel, not trade. I’m not sure why this falsehood keeps getting repeated.

Countries with young populations where never going to feel the pain like ones like us with older generations as well (Spain / UK / Italy)

Median age Rank and Deaths

2nd Japan: 48.6 -  8835

4th Germany: 47.8 – 75,418

5th Italy: 46.5 – 105,328

7th Hong Kong: 46.2 – 203

30th South Korea: 43.2 - 1704

51st Uk: 40.6 – 126,172

70th Australia: 37.5 – 909

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

There is a difference between having lorries rolling up and down the m1 and m6 via ferries and the tunnel via France and having imports dropped off at an airport / shipping containers.  Massive difference.

Of course, and that’s been pointed out many times previously. Road Freight is the big difference, although Thailand, Vietnam and Singapore have managed to come up with ways to keep vital road links open while cases remained under control. Mentioning Australia and NZ border policy in the context of trade is disingenuous however as it has never been restricted, just non-essential travel.

The Road freight is always used as an excuse why, but there was never a serious attempt at mitigating the risk it posed. It’s always just been that, an excuse. Just as population density is used ignoring that Singapore, Tokyo, Seoul, Hanoi are also very dense. Now it’s an aging population, when there are examples of better outcomes for countries with older populations.

45 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Also not everyone counted covid deaths the same way I.e. the 28 days thing.

Sure, but it's not going to make up the 120k dead difference with Japan whose median age is 8 years older.

• Upvote 1

Germany going into the strictest Lockdown since the beginning of the pandemic, at least until 15 April with Easter cancelled.

After that there should be light at the end of the tunnel because the vaccination programme should be in full running mode by then with more than 3,5 Mio. people vaccinated per week.

(Austria on the contrary after one day government consulting decided to decide not to decide yesterday).

What's the deal with a third wave then? Been a bit in and out with the news, I thought everything was going well, but someone told me that the SA strain resists our vaccinations, so if it takes hold we are back to square one. Is he talking bollocks?!

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Not true 

T cell protection is still there to stop serious disease so people shouldn't die still 

Ah great, thanks. I did wonder why I hadn't noticed this really rather important point if it was true!

He's a nice bloke my mate but he does read the tabloids, so that may be the culprit!

19 minutes ago, Homer said:

What's the deal with a third wave then? Been a bit in and out with the news, I thought everything was going well, but someone told me that the SA strain resists our vaccinations, so if it takes hold we are back to square one. Is he talking bollocks?!

This is absolute nonsense btw. I know it came from a friend but we need to be calling out this anti-vaccine sentiment.

To be clear, the Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson jabs protect against death, severe disease, mild symptoms and asymptomatic transmission against all Covid-19 variants, including the so called Saffer Sniffles.

The Oxford/AZ effort protects against death and severe disease against all variants and additionally reduced mild symptoms and asymptomatic transmission to a large degree against the original Covid and the UK variant. It offers less protection against mild symptoms and asymptomatic transmission of the Cape Town lurgy. It should be heavily caveated that the SA variant does not enjoy the transmission advantage or higher mortality rate like the UK variant does.

It should be of absolutely no detriment to anyone that a vaccinated person is slightly more likely to get a mild cold.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This is absolute nonsense btw. I know it came from a friend but we need to be calling out this anti-vaccine sentiment.

To be clear, the Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson jabs protect against death, severe disease, mild symptoms and asymptomatic transmission against all Covid-19 variants, including the so called Saffer Sniffles.

The Oxford/AZ effort protects against death and severe disease against all variants and additionally reduced mild symptoms and asymptomatic transmission to a large degree against the original Covid and the UK variant. It offers less protection against mild symptoms and asymptomatic transmission of the Cape Town lurgy. It should be heavily caveated that the SA variant does not enjoy the transmission advantage or higher mortality rate like the UK variant does.

It should be of absolutely no detriment to anyone that a vaccinated person is slightly more likely to get a mild cold.

Cheers for the clarification. He's a colleague but not an anti-vaxxer (had his first jab, second one booked and is very lockdown rule observant... also  a tory voter but you can't have everything!).

41 minutes ago, Homer said:

Boris Johnson lining up the EU as the fall guys if we have another wave when in fact it’ll be because of his government. 

9 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

What we’ve learned over the last 24 hours (if we didn’t know already) is that fear sells

Not only does it sell, it's unfortunately lapped up by many without looking at things logically and rationally.

Then it's sold on by those people as the gospel truth whilst anyone who dare say otherwise is a mad man.

46 minutes ago, Homer said:

Third wave is hitting Europe, not here...but it might affect travel restrictions this summer, and maybe they will worry about SA variant, but I think in all we're still looking ok here and Europe needs to get jabbing.

38 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Very mixed feelings about this, logically it makes sense but I feel it may do more harm than good as it risks opening up loads of anti-vaccine sentiment about mandatory vaccines.

yeah, also mixed feelings about this...a lot of these care workers are ethnic minorities or are from communities who don't want to have the vaccines for whatever reason...they need to be persuaded, not forced.

46 minutes ago, Homer said:

Fergus Walsh, the BBCs medical editor on the newscast podcast put it down to ‘the febrile nature of the news cycle’ which then gets a brilliant response from Laura Kuennsberg whose gloomy reporting is kinda what he’s aiming at! The bit starts from around the 18 min mark but the bit about the febrile news cycle is around 22 mins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09bj1wx