When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

So far the EU had ‘exported to us’ 10 millions vaccines.

So far the UK has exported to the EU 0 (zero) vaccines.

The EU bashing on here is embarrassing in the light of these facts.

And guaranteed that if the roles were reversed there’d be screams of derision that the EU hadn’t delivered the vaccines we contracted.

Oh and Europeans are currently seeing higher case numbers because of a U.K. variant.

It is embarrassing, the point here isn't really that the EU have cocked up it's just the sheer level of bashing and the hyperbolic language used isn't very helpful.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

And guaranteed that if the roles were reversed there’d be screams of derision that the EU hadn’t delivered the vaccines we contracted.

Oh and Europeans are currently seeing higher case numbers because of a U.K. variant.

Also, they sent us the vaccines because they hadn't approved it for weeks!

Lol what??? That's the same as calling it rhe China flu.... the variant isn't the UK fault. Same with SA and Brazil variants.

Edited by zahidf

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

My heart bleeds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

There's no proof that the UK variant even started in Kent. We noticed it first because we're the world leader in genetic sequencing, but for all we know the first carrier in the UK brought it here from anywhere in the world.

Denmark sequences all of its tests. We're not the world leader.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

“Frankly we should block all exports to Europe and allow a devastating summer wave to rip through the continent if they're going to be so petty as to steal our vaccines.”

I was unaware that we don't export vaccines to the EU atm.

I'm not sure what leverage we have anymore.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Denmark sequences all of its tests. We're not the world leader.

Denmark is 1/11th of the size of the UK and we sequency 1/3 of ours. Our overall genetic sequencing capacity is higher than Denmark's. Even still I recognise the Danes are very good at genetic sequencing, whatever way round you put them the gold medal and silver medal of genetic sequencing go to London and Copenhagen.

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Also, they sent us the vaccines because they hadn't approved it for weeks!

Lol what??? That's the same as calling it rhe China flu.... the variant isn't the UK fault. Same with SA and Brazil variants.

That always rubs me up the wrong way. Why is it perfectly legitimate to use terms like "Brazil variant" or "Spanish flu 1918" but not "China virus"?

I’m not saying the variant definitely started in the UK but it certainly took a major hold in the UK before other countries

The Brazil variant was actually identified in Japan but called the Brazil variant for the same reason.

That wasn’t my wider point.

It’s beyond crass to wish ill on people in EU countries and beyond naive to think that the U.K. is squeaky clean nor would have been threatening the EU had the roles been reversed.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

That always rubs me up the wrong way. Why is it perfectly legitimate to use terms like "Brazil variant" or "Spanish flu 1918" but not "China virus"?

Maybe we shouldn’t (and we certainly shouldnt have called the Spanish flu what we did) but scientists still do refer to the Brazil variant.

And of course it’s easier to say U.K. variant than B.1.1.7. variant. 

Whereas it easy to say Coronavirus so no need to say China virus.

Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Maybe we shouldn’t (and we certainly shouldnt have called the Spanish flu what we did) but scientists still do refer to the Brazil variant.

And of course it’s easier to say U.K. variant than B.1.1.7. variant. 

Whereas it easy to say Coronavirus so no need to say China virus.

Hope this helps.

I don't really care one way or the other, but I just want some consistency. It's either racism or it's not.

The conversation needs to be had about whether we really need to vaccinate absolutely everyone before opening up. Especially considering the summer months. It gradually shifted from vaccinating just the first 9 groups and quite rightly so. But does that extend right the way down to 18 year olds? Do we really write off a whole year with social distancing to wait for what will essentially be 18-29 or even younger? We have to use that summer time wisely.

Edited by efcfanwirral