When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It will almost definitely change to "when everyone is FULLY vaccinated" then most likely to "when everyone has had a booster against the Brazilian and SA variants". The scientists most likely always wanted it this way, and they generally, with a delay, get what they want. 

I still think we won't get past the mid May restriction lifting

Possibly, but that hasn't happened yet and isn't what the Scientist was saying in their tweet. They certainly don't want to keep everyone locked down forever as has been said, that's just being over-the-top.

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So they arent being honest with us? 

Behavioural management. I'm not going to start spouting conspiracy theories again if that's what you're baiting me to do. 

Same way Christmas was on til it wasn't, same way it was going to be over by October and it wasn't etc. Over promise and go back on it later, buying some more time.

Reasons? Because the scientists say its not over just when little England has finished it's vaccinations. We can argue all day over whether it's too cautious or not but I don't feel it was ever realistic for the scientists to back full lifting in June, and people having hope keeps the scenes like yesterday small. 

Now we have newspapers hinting at this sort of thing and the 1922 committee "warning" against extensions (surely they've heard whisperings? They're better connected than any journalist) it just feels like they're leaving the breadcrumbs again for what's coming.

All just very predictable. Probably the last time now though 

I'm still so baffled why everyone is banging on about foreign holidays. We all know exactly what the situation is, and it hasn't changed for a while. Book a package deal if you like and you're covered, book a holiday separately and you take the risk. Why do we have to keep asking every govt minister/opposition MP whether or not they would book a holiday? It's a very simple situation we're in right now...we just wait and see where we're at in a couple months. There is no answer right now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I can see your point.  So masks on the tube in winter but rest of the year no masks.  That would feel reasonable.

Probably can't hurt to keep flu down as well in that time, any little to help the strain on hospitals. Though that could be a better argument for supermarkets and pharmacies to stop it actually being spread to those who are mainly affected by it

10 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

A week tomorrow we can see people outdoors again (and as this is pre-local election, this part of the roadmap won’t change...). Let’s focus on the positives - we are getting there!

Indeed mate, it's not long and we can enjoy some nice beers with friends again!

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Behavioural management. I'm not going to start spouting conspiracy theories again if that's what you're baiting me to do. 

Same way Christmas was on til it wasn't, same way it was going to be over by October and it wasn't etc. Over promise and go back on it later, buying some more time.

Reasons? Because the scientists say its not over just when little England has finished it's vaccinations. We can argue all day over whether it's too cautious or not but I don't feel it was ever realistic for the scientists to back full lifting in June, and people having hope keeps the scenes like yesterday small. 

Now we have newspapers hinting at this sort of thing and the 1922 committee "warning" against extensions (surely they've heard whisperings? They're better connected than any journalist) it just feels like they're leaving the breadcrumbs again for what's coming.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but if we reach June and we've vaccinated most/all adults with 1 shot and a big chunk with both, hell even I'd be tempted to go down and protest if they looked to extend the restrictions (to be clear, I don't consider "masks and wash your hands" as restrictions). If they've been looking to buy time and keep the public onside by dangling carrots, I think they've potentially used that up now. 

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

To a certain degree, but scientists and politicians also have to react to what is happening...so maybe christmas could have happened if a new more infectious variant hadn't started spreading throughout SE England etc. And now we'll have to see the state of things in the early summer on what sort of foreign travel is allowed.

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

I'm still so baffled why everyone is banging on about foreign holidays. We all know exactly what the situation is, and it hasn't changed for a while. Book a package deal if you like and you're covered, book a holiday separately and you take the risk. Why do we have to keep asking every govt minister/opposition MP whether or not they would book a holiday? It's a very simple situation we're in right now...we just wait and see where we're at in a couple months. There is no answer right now.

Part of it is people wanting to see family who live abroad though. And a relaxing holiday is very important for peoples well being!

I do agree though that its a silly thing to ask right now. Maybe April 12th onwards!

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but if we reach June and we've vaccinated most/all adults with 1 shot and a big chunk with both, hell even I'd be tempted to go down and protest if they looked to extend the restrictions (to be clear, I don't consider "masks and wash your hands" as restrictions). If they've been looking to buy time and keep the public onside by dangling carrots, I think they've potentially used that up now. 

I dont think people will be up for following restrictions onces theyve been jabbed

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Part of it is people wanting to see family who live abroad though. And a relaxing holiday is very important for peoples well being!

I do agree though that its a silly thing to ask right now. Maybe April 12th onwards!

I totally get it, but my point is I think the public are pretty clear on the situation, it's the media that keep banging on about it more than anything. Like, why is Andrew Marr asking Lisa Nandy if she'd book a holiday? Who gives a shit? We know we can't go anywhere right now, and I don't *think* people are clamouring for an answer on it - we know it's not on the cards until at least May.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I expect parts of Europe will be in a pretty bad way during April and probably into May...so maybe after that....!

Just now, zahidf said:

I dont think people will be up for following restrictions onces theyve been jabbed

I’ve been jabbed and have no issue with following restrictions... whilst it’s for the greater good ... and on balance at the moment for me and many others it still is ... of course some will have reassessed.... outside will be a good start to getting life back towards normal ... 

38 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You calling the kids in schools self harming and suffering mental health issues snowflakes ?  Classy

i Am sure you will get a few up votes though - seems to matter around here.

Nope, I don't use that term, hence the quote marks. Just pointing out your hypocrisy.

Oh, and are you seriously suggesting kids are self-harming because of masks? Nothing to do with isolation, boredom, fear, missing their friends, etc?

37 minutes ago, jparx said:

Agreed. It's pretty weird how much this being brought up. We've booked a package with a cancellation policy 60 days out. Why don't people just book things with cancellation policies or just wait and see how it pans out?

16 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

It’s worse this term than last term.  Masks have made it worse,

Or things are worse this term than last as this has been going on for longer now than then? 

Personally I think getting the schools open has been the top priority so reopening them at a point where mask wearing to mitigate spread was sensible but if we are in a position to ease other things then, removing masks in schools should be part of that.

Why are you so angry all the time?

40 minutes ago, jparx said:

I'm still so baffled why everyone is banging on about foreign holidays. We all know exactly what the situation is, and it hasn't changed for a while. Book a package deal if you like and you're covered, book a holiday separately and you take the risk.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

We've booked a package with a cancellation policy 60 days out. Why don't people just book things with cancellation policies or just wait and see how it pans out?

We've booked one way flights to Nice then on to Goa for November.

Fully refundable or transferable and also a couple of hotels in Goa with free cancellation.

Too good a price and hopefully all will be fine by then, if not then it's no loss anyway.

1 minute ago, Paul ™ said:

Fully refundable or transferable and also a couple of hotels in Goa with free cancellation.

Too good a price and hopefully all will be fine by then, if not then it's no loss anyway.

Yeah exactly, it's totally possible to book things with minimal risk if people want to.

The founder of the Mainz-based pharmaceutical company Biontech, Ugur Sahin, expects the lockdown policy to end in autumn. "In many countries in Europe and in the USA, we will probably be in the position at the end of the summer not to have to go into a lockdown", Sahin told the "Welt am Sonntag". “Of course there will continue to be local outbreaks, that will remain background noise. There will be mutations. But it is very unlikely that these will spread any fear, ”the entrepreneur expects.

58 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yes and haven`t there been news no holidays or don`t book holidays yet a few weeks ago. Not much has changed - UK vaccination programme is going well, parts of Europe under the third wave of the Brit variant but also this will end come early summer. So I don`t say the point why the topic always comes up in the UK, because here it hasn't been one except the possibility with the EU green vaccination certificate.

21 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Yep same here. We've booked to go to Japan for my 30th for the fall season this year. Leaning heavily towards "it won't happen", but it's fully refundable if we don't and we had a stonking deal on the flights and one of the hotels. Worth a punt.

53 minutes ago, jparx said:

I totally get it, but my point is I think the public are pretty clear on the situation, it's the media that keep banging on about it more than anything. Like, why is Andrew Marr asking Lisa Nandy if she'd book a holiday? Who gives a shit? We know we can't go anywhere right now, and I don't *think* people are clamouring for an answer on it - we know it's not on the cards until at least May.

Because if he can get someone like Lisa Nandy to say she wouldn't book a foreign holiday now then it becomes a thing.  Then they get some representative of the travel industry - probably that gobshite from Ryanair - to come on and get all angry.  Then Simon Calder will come on, stood outside an airport or something, to earn his appearance fee.  Then the PM on Wednesday will throw it back at Starmer saying Labour want to cancel summer and claim his government is doing all it can to support the tourism industry.

And that's how content is made!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Because if he can get someone like Lisa Nandy to say she wouldn't book a foreign holiday now then it becomes a thing.  Then they get some representative of the travel industry - probably that gobshite from Ryanair - to come on and get all angry.  Then Simon Calder will come on, stood outside an airport or something, to earn his appearance fee.  Then the PM on Wednesday will throw it back at Starmer saying Labour want to cancel summer and claim his government is doing all it can to support the tourism industry.

And that's how content is made!

yes, and probably no competitor in this years Mallorca beach chair battle for the Germans. would be very sad.