When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

33 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Nerds at it again

Gonna try to keep us muzzled for a while longer.

He basically saying what the roadmap is, we’re aiming to be vaccinating all adults by July and the last step on the roadmap is 21st June. I think you need to calm down a little bit and take a step back; these people aren’t doing what you claim they are. They are basically saying some form of social distancing measures will be required until we can offer the vaccine to the population which is our current plan. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I just fail to see any real world evidence they changed anything.  Specially when we have always believed its in house contacts with friends and family that really spread this.

The only action that ever made a difference during the pandemic was full lock downs.  Nothing else worked. 

How do you know the death rate would not have been even worse if we hadn't worn face coverings in shops & on public transport? You don't & neither do I, but I don't mind the mild discomfort for a short time, just in case.

50 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

That tweet is deliberately misleading. It misses out part of the quote which I’ve taken from the guardian live feed just now:

‘It is highly unlikely we’ll be able to go on foreign holiday this side of May. We can’t be deaf and blind to what’s going on outside the United Kingdom.’

Indeed it does. Very poor.

The actual interview

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You get over yourself...  forcing people to be uncomfortable all day because you think it might make a difference without any real world evidence.  On ya bike.  

we tried it, it made no difference, time to move on and use real science alone to defeat this - vaccines

You’ve kind of answered your own question (most transmission is occurring indoors in situations where people aren’t wearing masks, when we increase these activities, cases go up, when we reduce them, cases go down)...but if you want to read a bit more about it, Nature published a good article a while back citing a substantial amount of scientific evidence on the impact of mask wearing...There’s lots of “real world evidence”...They aren’t a force field, but do contribute to reducing spread (and it also looks likely that they reduce disease severity as well)...they’re also not that uncomfortable (much nicer than a couple of weeks of CPAP!)...

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

• Upvote 12

I think the evidence is that masks work, but calls to extend it past June 21st as a mandatory thing if we have most the population vaccinated is a bit too far. On tightly packed public transport or if you have a cold should maybe be mandatory, but i feel it should be discretionary in other areas and circumstances.  

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

But will they work on a tightly packed tube ?  If we actually do listen to scientists and studies there isn’t a hope in hells chance they do.  And if they don’t what’s the reason for doing it ?

Nature article says they only work alongside distancing.

We are really far down the rabbit hole if we are going to keep doing stuff just on hope alone - even on packed tubes.

Just because there isn't 100% evidence of it, the broad evidence is that it would stop SOME of the spread. Wearing a mask in a low ventilation space seems an easy way to limit some of the spread IMO. 

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I’ve read that article previously and what stands out from it to me is they “work” alongside other measures - mainly social distancing.  I haven’t been to a supermarket with social distancing for a very long time.  That is my point - in the real world it hasn’t had any real impact.  In fact since bringing them in it’s created a false comfort blanket and people have got closer.  The whole justification by the government to bring them in was to move from 2 meters to 1 meter which only makes them pointless.

I get the science behind it but in the real world I find it hard to accept it’s made enough a difference to talk about using them going forward with a fully vaccinated population.

And they are uncomfortable wearing them all day like we are forcing kids to do.

I’m not arguing in favour of wearing them ad Infinitum after we’ve all been vaccinated. Far from it in fact (I agree with you on that, though it’s possible they will be required in some situations next winter). But suggesting that your gut feeling is they make no difference, when there’s good evidence they do doesn’t make any sense. Some examples of “real world evidence” are cited in the above article (and yes, there’s confounding factors and it is noisy data, but coupled with more empirically measured data it makes a compelling case). As I said, they aren’t a force field, so yes, they do work in concert with other measures. I do have sympathy for those that have to wear them for long stints. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Definitely changing the goalposts though 

And this is even worse!

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

He basically saying what the roadmap is, we’re aiming to be vaccinating all adults by July and the last step on the roadmap is 21st June. I think you need to calm down a little bit and take a step back; these people aren’t doing what you claim they are. They are basically saying some form of social distancing measures will be required until we can offer the vaccine to the population which is our current plan. 

It will almost definitely change to "when everyone is FULLY vaccinated" then most likely to "when everyone has had a booster against the Brazilian and SA variants". The scientists most likely always wanted it this way, and they generally, with a delay, get what they want. 

I still think we won't get past the mid May restriction lifting

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It will almost definitely change to "when everyone is FULLY vaccinated" then most likely to "when everyone has had a booster against the Brazilian and SA variants". The scientists most likely always wanted it this way, and they generally, with a delay, get what they want. 

I still think we won't get past the mid May restriction lifting

So you agree that the geeks are trying to keep us locked in longer 'just in case'?

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Just in case

Well, no... their is evidence that it limits spread. No one is saying it eliminates it completely.  in certain situations like a packed tube or if you personally have a cold, i think its reasonable for people to wear one. That seems reasonably sensible to stop germs spreading

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

But will they work on a tightly packed tube ?  If we actually do listen to scientists and studies there isn’t a hope in hells chance they do.  And if they don’t what’s the reason for doing it ?

Nature article says they only work alongside distancing.

We are really far down the rabbit hole if we are going to keep doing stuff just on hope alone - even on packed tubes.

No, if you pack a tube with infected people and mask everyone, they won’t stop people becoming infected. But they will mitigate it. Fewer people will be infected and of those that are, the current evidence suggests they are more likely to develop less severe disease. They are a mitigation measure not a panacea. But, as you say, when 80%+ on that packed tube carriage are vaccinated, then It’s a different story. There will be times over the next few years when circulating virus levels are low (much of the time) when a vaccinated population will have little or no risk and additional mitigation will not be required...and there will be times when there are outbreaks when circulating levels are high and maybe they will (not certain though depending out the outcome of infections).