When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

50 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I agree. There was no ban on summer holidays last year so it is hard to see why it would be needed more when the vaccination programme is so far under way.

I'm hoping to go away in October and fully prepared for it not to happen. But would be amazed if people didn't get to go to Europe in July/August. Would be a real shift from this government.

My biggest concern is that the "trade off" will see events restricted or banned to allow for the trips abroad

16 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

In my local park earlier (which was absolutely rammed) there was a group of roughly 12 adults & children of mixed ages all together sat/ stood around a large bench. Clearly a birthday or celebration of some type with food etc laid out.

I know many people will say “not happening where I live” or “I only see couples walking together” but that really isn’t the case where I live.

Many people meeting outside and not just in a bumping in to each other kind of way.

FWIW we are at 19 cases per 100k.

I genuinely think (in an outside environment at least) people are now seeing the logic of minimal risk + low cases in the area mean they can do what they wish within reason.

Yeah, although I'm broadly in favour of the unlocking plan and the timescales, the restrictions on informal outdoors meeting can get in the sea.

19 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

My biggest concern is that the "trade off" will see events restricted or banned to allow for the trips abroad

by the summer hopefully third wave will be over in europe and cases will be much lower there too...and their vaccination programme will be going much better. Too early to say whether can travel there or not, I expect we will be able to with proof of vaccine or recent test or something.

Edited by steviewevie

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

by the summer hopefully third wave will be over in europe and cases will be much lower there too...and there vaccination programme will be going much better. Too early to say whether can travel there or not, I expect we will be able to with proof of vaccine or recent test or something.

The EU green vaccination passport which will be introduced in June would be rather senseless if you can not travel in summer. The EU have made a lot of senseless things but I expect this to be working (also including the UK, maybe excluding some other places like France but who knows).

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, although I'm broadly in favour of the unlocking plan and the timescales, the restrictions on informal outdoors meeting can get in the sea.

This and outdoors hospitality really are the things which I think should be earlier than they are currently scheduled.

It probably comes across as if I’m some kind of anti-lockdown nutter but all of my posts in regards to the roadmap have been towards outside stuff rather than inside.

5 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

USA is planning on reopening from Mid May to the UK.  

Again, ‘planning’ and if it does happen that doesn’t mean there will be much in the way of flights. And Vaccine Passports will probably be required if there is any. And they’re doing quite well with their Vaccine program.

Obviously things might change but I work in Aviation, there’s not much expectation of significant traffic in mid-May. 

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Again, ‘planning’ and if it does happen that doesn’t mean there will be much in the way of flights. And Vaccine Passports will probably be required if there is any. And they’re doing quite well with their Vaccine program.

Obviously things might change but I work in Aviation, there’s not much expectation of significant traffic in mid-May. 

How about late July?...my brother and family want to come to UK from US.

19 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Mate it’s simple fly into a hub airport such as Atlanta, New York or LAX and then get a domestic flight to your vacation city. Those flights have been running throughout the pandemic and will be busy come summer. As an American I am very much missing my home country

5 minutes ago, StuMalinas said:

Mate it’s simple fly into a hub airport such as Atlanta, New York or LAX and then get a domestic flight to your vacation city. Those flights have been running throughout the pandemic and will be busy come summer. As an American I am very much missing my home country

Getting past my original point now. All I said was ‘There’s bound to be a bit of panic in some quarters about holidays with parts of Europe struggling but by the time they’re likely to be allowed (July) things in Europe will be a lot better and there should be some kind of Vaccine/Test passport system in place. That should mitigate the (very low) risk of a Vaccine-dodging variant.’

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I actually don't think so, but we don't have a precedent for big live events yet (apart from the distanced gigs etc that went on). And we have an absolute precedent for foreign holidays, which plenty of people I work with went on last summer.

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Personally, I would opt for the pay rise and keep working 5 days a week. 

You just know some employers will start attempting to push five days worth of work out of people in four if they took that option.

Presumably they did the maths and realised that a 4 day week on their current salary would mean they're actually getting paid more per day/hour than they would on a 5 day week with a 20% rise.

And that'd be exacerbated even more when you consider that the way taxes are structured means that a 20% rise will result in significantly less than 20% extra take home pay.