When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Wouldn't even wipe my bum with the Telegraph.

It’s horrendous. I used to read it a lot years ago as despite being a long way to the right of me it was a quality paper. Now it’s been decimated, paywalled and turned into a Brexit advertisement by its owners. Awful paper.

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It hasn't been authorised by the EMA yet... it may well be good (especially since the rumours the ruskies stole it from Oxford) but it seems ridiculous they have millions of Oxford doses sitting in the fridge they are faffing around with when that IS authorised.

That’s the point, medication for emergency use doesn’t have to be authorised by the EMA. Individual member states can authorise it themselves. Which is why when people were saying the UK are seeing a benefit of Brexit that wasn’t the case. 

9 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Chris Whitty has said this is the likely scenario. 

I think it highly possible that next winter will be worse then a very bad flu season, but nowhere near as bad as what we've just had. 

Then it will depend on how much we as a society are willing to accept that which will set how many restrictions we have, if any. 

I think mass events this coming winter are probably fairly uncertain.

I think Societal acceptance of restrictions is dropping and likely to remain low in the future, once people stop dying from it. I think there might be some low level stuff in Winter but nothing like what we’ve seen. 

34 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Stupid France

Boffins trying to cancel brits summer holidays

There’s bound to be a bit of panic in some quarters about holidays with parts of Europe struggling but by he time they’re likely to be allowed (July) things in Europe will be a lot better and there should be some kind of Vaccine/Test passport system in place. That should mitigate the (very low) risk of a Vaccine-dodging variant.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

It's being considered from mid May

Yeah, ‘considered.’ Not very likely. And if it does happen at all will involve jumping through a lot of hoops. Airlines are already cancelling or expecting to cancel May flights.

Also that’s two months away anyway and the one we know from this Pandemic so far is things change quickly.

Covid: Rich states 'block' vaccine plans for developing nations

Wealthy countries - including the UK - are blocking proposals to help developing nations increase their vaccine manufacturing capabilities, documents leaked to BBC Newsnight show.

Several poorer countries have asked the World Health Organization to help them. 

But richer nations are pushing back on provisions in international law that would enable them to achieve this.

This is according to a leaked copy of the negotiating text of a WHO resolution on the issue.

Among those richer nations are the UK, the US, as well as the European Union.

"Where we could have language in there that would make it easier for countries to produce more vaccines and more medicines within their country, it would include initiatives that would finance and facilitate that. The UK is on the opposite side of the argument of trying to remove those kinds of progressive proposals from the text," says Diarmaid McDonald, from Just Treatment, a patient group for fair access to medicines....

......The WHO does not have the authority to sidestep patents - but it is trying to bring countries together to find a way to bolster vaccine supplies. 

The discussions include using provisions in international law to get around patents and helping countries to have the technical ability to make them.

But the drug industry argues that eroding patents would hinder its ability to invest in future treatments for Covid and other illnesses. 

Earlier this month, representatives of the US drug industry wrote to US President Joe Biden to share their concerns.

"Eliminating those protections would undermine the global response to the pandemic," they wrote, including ongoing efforts to tackle new variants. 

It would also create confusion that could potentially undermine public confidence in vaccine safety, and create a barrier to information sharing, the representatives said.

"Most importantly, eliminating protections would not speed up production," they added. 

Others agree. Anne Moore, an expert in vaccine immunology, worries about what impact undermining patents will have on future research. 

"Over time we see fewer and fewer organisations and commercial companies being in the vaccine field because there's so little return on it," she says. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56465395

Money, money, money... got to love the argument that if there wasn't lots of money to be made, drug companies wouldn't bother doing any research to stop a pandemic that would cost millions of lives and lead to global economic collapse. Perfectly normal people.

Edited by Mr.Tease

17 hours ago, zahidf said:

Stop faffing around FFS....

Thought you’d like to know that Gavin was talking out of his arse! (He got the wrong end of the stick really)...Overnight return is indeed what happened (AZ jabs being administered in Ireland as I type!). It’ll take them a few days to reprint the patient information leaflets to explicitly state the small risk of clots, but will be verbally communicated until the updated PILs arrive. Anyway, onwards!

14 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Would we have been able to do in the last 12 months what we did without the support of big pharm and their rights to protect and realise profits ?

Genuine question - I think it would of been more of a challenge

Doesn't mean they get a pass to be d***s-blocking poorer countries from manufacturering could costs hundreds of thousands of lives just so they can make billions of extra pounds. 

Its unhinged behaviour 

22 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Thought you’d like to know that Gavin was talking out of his arse! (He got the wrong end of the stick really)...Overnight return is indeed what happened (AZ jabs being administered in Ireland as I type!). It’ll take them a few days to reprint the patient information leaflets to explicitly state the small risk of clots, but will be verbally communicated until the updated PILs arrive. Anyway, onwards!

AH cool. I missed his correction! glad theyre back on it

3 minutes ago, zero000 said:

The question i have with foreign travel is if not this summer with vaccines then when? There will always be new variants. What criteria are we going to use to deem it “safe” finally?

When the foreign places have been vaccinated. The UK is way ahead of lots of Europe. They'll have largely caught up next year.

13 minutes ago, zero000 said:

The question i have with foreign travel is if not this summer with vaccines then when? There will always be new variants. What criteria are we going to use to deem it “safe” finally?

Hopefully we'll have more vaccines available to cover whatever variant is dominant, and also maybe the amount that virus can mutate and be succesful will be limited..

Big Numbers today

Half of all adults in the UK have now received at least one vaccine shot, the British health minister, Matt Hancock, said on Saturday.

Hancock wrote on Twitter:

Yesterday we vaccinated more people than any day yet. I’m delighted to be able to say that we’ve now vaccinated HALF of all adults in the UK.

The vaccine is a national success story and our way out of this pandemic. When you get the call, get the jab.

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Organising Committee said on Saturday that international spectators will not be allowed to enter Japan during the Olympic Games which are scheduled for this summer.

Olympic and Paralympic tickets purchased by overseas residents will be refunded, it said in a statement.