When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If the government orders the pubs shut, then they're shut. If a festival doesn't get a licence, it doesn't go ahead.

Informal outdoor gatherings are hard to police, but official, organised stuff - those will stay restricted exactly as long as the government say it will. Public compliance doesn't really come into it.

Well said.

5 minutes ago, El Matador said:

I can't think of a single person I know that would be accepting of the road map slipping by a month or so. 

There is literally not one piece of data that suggests that any delay is required. If anything, all the data suggests that we can accelerate lifting restrictions. 

I should say they would accept a slip if there’s a compelling reason. I’m with you - the way things are looking it seems we’re on course definitely.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I should say they would accept a slip if there’s a compelling reason. I’m with you - the way things are looking it seems we’re on course definitely.

Might be the EU trying to steal our doses with an export ban... the Brexit lot would love it, they'd have a good excuse to hate the EU then!

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Might be the EU trying to steal our doses with an export ban... the Brexit lot would love it, they'd have a good excuse to hate the EU then!

Is this not an example of your much cited whataboutery then?

On Sunday, the defence secretary, Ben Wallace, said the EU's reputation was at stake as the 27 heads of state and government prepare to make their decision, warning that “the world is watching”.

“If contracts get broken, and undertakings, that is a very damaging thing to happen for a trading bloc that prides itself on the rule of law"

29 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If the government orders the pubs shut, then they're shut. If a festival doesn't get a licence, it doesn't go ahead.

Informal outdoor gatherings are hard to police, but official, organised stuff - those will stay restricted exactly as long as the government say it will. Public compliance doesn't really come into it.

Informal INDOOR gatherings are both the hardest thing to police but also one of the main ways the virus spreads.

That’s what people are talking about when they suggest that compliance will fade away. It’s not pub lock ins or illegal raves, it’s visiting your mum for dinner or having a small group of mates round for Saturday beers. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I know you’re being tongue in cheek, but even if the vaccine programme is shunted back a month or two, there’s still a good chance by June 21st we’ll have done the over 40s and hospitalisations and deaths could be absolute rock bottom.

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

If there was a reason for the restrictions to be extended them I'm sure that the majority would still comply as they have done through the pandemic. We might hear the odd story about people no longer following the rules but the majority of people still comply and most likely will still comply with the restrictions.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Informal INDOOR gatherings are both the hardest thing to police but also one of the main ways the virus spreads.

That’s what people are talking about when they suggest that compliance will fade away. It’s not pub lock ins or illegal raves, it’s visiting your mum for dinner or having a small group of mates round for Saturday beers. 

Yeah, those are going to happen this summer, particularly when everyone is vaccinated. Agreed.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

I know you’re being tongue in cheek, but even if the vaccine programme is shunted back a month or two, there’s still a good chance by June 21st we’ll have done the over 40s and hospitalisations and deaths could be absolute rock bottom.

I dont really see why we should let the EU steal our vaccines and increase our lockdown time/increase deaths by 10,000 or so... just through their own incompetence 

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

The 31st July was always when all adults were supposed to have had first doses, while 21st June was given as a reopening date. Any talk of earlier was best case scenario so in theory it points towards an acceptance that younger people can be allowed out even before first dose. But whether they decided to say 21st June based on their best case scenario is what will decide how likely that date is 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

I dont really see why we should let the EU steal our vaccines and increase our lockdown time/increase deaths by 10,000 or so... just through their own incompetence 

Fuck me, calm down. No one is stealing anyone's vaccines. I know you dislike the EU but you really need to calm down a bit with all this.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Fuck me, calm down. No one is stealing anyone's vaccines. I know you dislike the EU but you really need to calm down a bit with all this.

I think there is a clear difference between not liking the EU and not liking their approach to the vaccination programme in this instance.

You can have voted remain and dislike what they are posturing to do potentially...

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I think there is a clear difference between not liking the EU and not liking their approach to the vaccination programme in this instance.

You can have voted remain and dislike what they are posturing to do potentially...

I'm not sure why you've linked it back to the referendum. It's clear from Zahidf's posts he's not very fond of the EU and now saying they are going to be 'stealing our vaccines' is quite OTT and if anything will just make people worry (especially saying it will increase deaths by 10k). We just need to calm down a bit, the vaccine roll out is going incredibly well, we are on course to meet the next stage of the roadmap and every day are getting closer to the end of this; the border-line hysterical language isn't helpful.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I guess its the constant anti EU sentiment that has been given off that creates that impression although . Its around the vaccine mess that the EU created .... similar to your Anti lockdown stance that was actually a easing of the outdoor restrictions earlier stance ... things can get a bit lost with posts on a forum 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I'm not sure why you've linked it back to the referendum. It's clear from Zahidf's posts he's not very fond of the EU and now saying they are going to be 'stealing our vaccines' is quite OTT and if anything will just make people worry (especially saying it will increase deaths by 10k). We just need to calm down a bit, the vaccine roll out is going incredibly well, we are on course to meet the next stage of the roadmap and every day are getting closer to the end of this; the border-line hysterical language isn't helpful.

You can read such comments here in newspaper forums too like „God, we are glad they left the EU“, „they are dishonest and lying and now stealing our vaccines“, its just a point of view which at the end is rather sad.