When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

This makes Johnsons comments at that preser last March even more ridiculous:

We can also reveal that Boris Johnson had been briefed by officials ahead of a press conference on 3 March 2020 - right at the start of the pandemic - to discourage people from shaking hands with each other.

Instead, when he took to the lectern, the PM boasted he "shook hands with everybody" during a hospital visit.

A spokesman for No 10 said: "The prime minister was very clear at the time he was taking a number of precautionary steps, including frequently washing his hands.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56406393

He was specifically told to encourage people NOT to shake hands, so why did he decide to do the exact opposite?!

18 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

This makes Johnsons comments at that preser last March even more ridiculous:

We can also reveal that Boris Johnson had been briefed by officials ahead of a press conference on 3 March 2020 - right at the start of the pandemic - to discourage people from shaking hands with each other.

Instead, when he took to the lectern, the PM boasted he "shook hands with everybody" during a hospital visit.

A spokesman for No 10 said: "The prime minister was very clear at the time he was taking a number of precautionary steps, including frequently washing his hands.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56406393

He was specifically told to encourage people NOT to shake hands, so why did he decide to do the exact opposite?!

Because he wanted to seem like he was tough and didn't wasn't to take the big decisions that were needed until it was too late. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Paints something of a different picture than the one many are trying to paint.  It was all very propionate and the crowd had ZERO intention of dispersing on there home.  Ginger was there to prove a point and get her face in the papers.

You all fell for it.

They would have dispersed on their own gradually as the night went on. Stop banging then same drum, man. 

1 hour ago, stephos83 said:

Yep you'll be absolutely fine, it's so nice (I've found) to just be interacting with people again! Most people don't ask anything too complicated or challenging when I've been at mine. And if they do, I think simply reassuring them and asking them to speak to their vaccinator is enough. We've only had to get the clinical lead in a couple of occasions in the four weekends I've worked.

Got my fourth shift tomorrow. I'm basically a human signpost in a hi-viz but last shift I was also handing out the stickers after the jab. Lots of fun to be had telling quite stoic older blokes who'd refused a sticker that they should take one so everyone could see they've been very special brave boys. 

17 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Sky news have done a great break down at what happened at Sundays shit show vigil.

Clearly shows the police taking a slowly slowly approach only increasing numbers as the crowd grows and grows . Councillor asks crowds to go home following a speech.  Crowd ignores.   Police ask people to start heading home.  Crowd ignores.  Ginger girl on the band stand starts shouting at the crowd not to go home on loud speaker and ignore and resist the police.  Police remove her.  

Paints something of a different picture than the one many are trying to paint.  It was all very propionate and the crowd had ZERO intention of dispersing on their own.  Ginger was there to prove a point and get her face in the papers.

You all fell for it.

The police fell for gingers plan then? They should have known better.

9 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Just realised two weeks today we’ll be able to spend time with our family or friends in gardens (if they are lucky enough to have them). The clocks will have gone forward as well. Brighter times are coming.

I’m doing it the day before for my folks 50th wedding anniversary... my first restriction break 🙂 

2 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Portugal removed from the 'Red List' from Friday, so no longer enforced quarantine for anyone returning back to the UK who has been there in the previous 10 days.

Off topic but as a full time van dweller you might want to have a look at the bill currently going through parliament, Chapter 4 Part 4 deals with "unauthorised encampments". It's clearly meant to give police the powers to deal with Gypsies/Travellers but it could also apply to anyone in a campervan, motorhome or caravan parked up off road or roadside, we often "stealth camp" in our van if visiting an area for a gig etc. This new law gives police the power to move you on, even if you were in a paid parking spot you could be told to go as you would be camping without permission. It's pretty worrying stuff.

https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/2839

48 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Oof

Alternatively: some young, healthy people seem to have had the same bad reaction to a particular batch of food, and some of them have died. It's probably just a coincidence, but maybe there should be some precautionary checks on this food?

39 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Ginger screaming for everyone to stay paints a different picture.  Doesn't suit some posters dogma though.

They weren’t setting up camp on the common, so clearly they would have gradually dispersed and gone home. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

So your view point is the police shouldn't enforce the law ?

Or only enforce it when you don't like the cause ?

My view point is that we shouldn’t have laws that restrict our civil liberties.

Edited by stuie

39 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Criminal negligence from the Prime Minister. He always moved too late and now we are seeing his attitude to the actions that needed to be taken are appalling as well.

It's good to see some real journalism from Laura K but I do wonder if it's more that somebody's gunning for him now 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah but we do...  The police don't get to pick and choose what laws we have - they are just paid to enforce them. 

They (management) can pick and choose how they respond to law breaking and they regularly do.

On this occasion they chose wrong.