When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Went for an illegal picnic in a park yesterday with a friend (what a badass) and the park was absolutely full of fellow picnic-ers. Many weren’t in groups of 2 either. Game’s up Boris. 

If people are meeting outside in public spaces rather than indoors, I don’t think they’ll be that bothered tbh

17 hours ago, mcshed said:

Police being dick's at protests is nothing new. Protest hasn't been banned. You may not want to live in a police state but you love pretending to be in one when you aren't.

Less than 1 day later,

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

You still think they're not wanting to take away your rights?

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

get your finger out europe

Send us some over some vaccine and we will! We got 36,000 doses of AZ last week (all administered) and were supposed to get 40,000 this week (but was cut last minute to 25,000). In total since December 27th when we got our first delivery, we have received just over 360,000 doses (not a week, that’s our entire amount in 2 months so far), 95% of which are in arms...Scotland, not far off our population, has received that many doses in a week! Stop gloating!

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Send us some over some vaccine and we will! We got 36,000 doses of AZ last week (all administered) and were supposed to get 40,000 this week (but was cut last minute to 25,000). In total since December 27th when we got our first delivery, we have received just over 360,000 doses (not a week, that’s our entire amount in 2 months so far), 95% of which are in arms...Scotland, not far off our population, has received that many doses in a week! Stop gloating!

Ah tbf you guys are doing the best you can. Germany and France seem to have low uptake on all the vaccines they have, they should send some more to you.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Ah tbf you guys are doing the best you can. Germany and France seem to have low uptake on all the vaccines they have, they should send some more to you.

It really pisses me off to see millions of doses of AZ sitting around on the continent, there’s no reluctance to take it here at all, yet we can’t get enough doses. The government has just done a deal with Moderna for an extra 1.8m doses of their vaccine at full price as we are sick of waiting. Hopefully we’ll get there soon!

6 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Yeah, a lot of the gloating on twitter has been infuriating and pretty sad to be honest- I genuinely don't get it, do these people gloat to countries experiencing famine how much more food they have? Or better infant mortality rates?

Think some people have lost the plot a bit when it comes to vaccination rates- excitement is good, but enough with the gloating. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yeah, a lot of the gloating on twitter has been infuriating and pretty sad to be honest- I genuinely don't get it, do these people gloat to countries experiencing famine how much more food they have? Or better infant mortality rates?

Think some people have lost the plot a bit when it comes to vaccination rates- excitement is good, but enough with the gloating. 

I'm not gloating... I'm annoyed that Europe are messing up the vaccination programme. 

22 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Less than 1 day later,

You still think they're not wanting to take away your rights?

Patel wants stricter controls because she is an authoritarian but it has nothing to do with COVID. This is a reaction to the increasingly effective disruption caused by Extinction Rebellion and BLM. I of course oppose this and I think Patel is a very dangerous politician but it's sod all to do with the global pandemic.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I'm not gloating... I'm annoyed that Europe are messing up the vaccination programme. 

Didn't mean you, I meant some people on twitter! 

It is frustrating seeing governments mess up (we've spent the entire pandemic doing that!), though to be fair some EU countries governments aren't to blame here, it is a supply issue (though that's partly due to some of that supply being prioritised to us, so it's probably double annoying when we then turn around and say they should be vaccinating quicker-I think that's what Toilet Duck was pointing out) 

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

Didn't mean you, I meant some people on twitter! 

It is frustrating seeing governments mess up (we've spent the entire pandemic doing that!), though to be fair some EU countries governments aren't to blame here, it is a supply issue (though that's partly due to some of that supply being prioritised to us, so it's probably double annoying when we then turn around and say they should be vaccinating quicker-I think that's what Toilet Duck was pointing out) 

I dont think the current issues in some European countries is due to supply. Ireland aside, they really have enough supply to be vaccinating faster

Edited by zahidf

Peter Hitchens has finally had his jab, and accompanied it with a long, churlish article to explain that he only cracked to the evil vaccine with great reluctance and under intolerable duress: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9307363/PETER-HITCHENS-Ive-Covid-jab-cost-freedom.html

As a result, his micro-brained anti-vax followers have been lambasting him by the hundreds since yesterday, and it is delightful:

24 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Patel wants stricter controls because she is an authoritarian but it has nothing to do with COVID. This is a reaction to the increasingly effective disruption caused by Extinction Rebellion and BLM. I of course oppose this and I think Patel is a very dangerous politician but it's sod all to do with the global pandemic.

It all feeds in. They will have no qualms about using the Pandemic as a cover for changes to the laws.

20 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Peter Hitchens has finally had his jab, and accompanied it with a long, churlish article to explain that he only cracked to the evil vaccine with great reluctance and under intolerable duress: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9307363/PETER-HITCHENS-Ive-Covid-jab-cost-freedom.html

As a result, his micro-brained anti-vax followers have been lambasting him by the hundreds since yesterday, and it is delightful:

This is next level ridiculous 

33 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Oh, he'll love that. He's only happy when he's a persecuted minority of one

6 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

It all feeds in. They will have no qualms about using the Pandemic as a cover for changes to the laws.

But despite the article making the link between the two, Patel's request has nothing to do with COVID she's not asking for an extension of the current powers she's asking what can be done to make protests less disruptive. Hence my mention of Extinction Rebellion as I really think it's that which is the real target as they actually managed to cause effective disruption.

The pandemic obviously occupies a huge amount of attention so it provides cover in the sense that people aren't paying attention to anything else but this isn't authoritarian extension of emergency powers this is new authoritarian power grab by an authoritarian politician. It should be opposed but it's not an argument against the measures brought forward during the pandemic.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

she's now feeling shitty. Bit feverish.

Which brings me into a question for @Toilet Duck .... obviously the effects  from having the jab are far better than getting covid .... but is is possible that the jabs in time can get tweaked so people get fewer of these or the occur less often ? Or is it the case that we will always going to be getting this proportion of reactions ... and that is how it’s going to be .... just intrigued as it might put some off having them ... or having a second dose ... 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Which brings me into a question for @Toilet Duck .... obviously the effects  from having the jab are far better than getting covid .... but is is possible that the jabs in time can get tweaked so people get fewer of these or the occur less often ? Or is it the case that we will always going to be getting this proportion of reactions ... and that is how it’s going to be .... just intrigued as it might put some off having them ... or having a second dose ... 

and why can you get side effects...thought AZ was just a bit of a coronavirus that only affects monkeys?

30 minutes ago, mcshed said:

But despite the article making the link between the two, Patel's request has nothing to do with COVID she's not asking for an extension of the current powers she's asking what can be done to make protests less disruptive. Hence my mention of Extinction Rebellion as I really think it's that which is the real target as they actually managed to cause effective disruption.

The pandemic obviously occupies a huge amount of attention so it provides cover in the sense that people aren't paying attention to anything else but this isn't authoritarian extension of emergency powers this is new authoritarian power grab by an authoritarian politician. It should be opposed but it's not an argument against the measures brought forward during the pandemic.

Might actually help their cause if they stop pissing people off so much. I know what they're doing, showing people that if they can't deal with this small disruption imagine how it'll be in the future, but at least over here its not going to bring people on side, especially with a biased media. I'm not sure what the alternative is but I don't think carrying on as they were is helpful.

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah seconded - one of my friends (who got a spare through work as he was just there) was laid up for 2 days with it. As self employed I could really do without that 

3 hours ago, jparx said:

Oh I was actually reading the replies on twitter tbh!

I deleted twitter from My phone yesterday because I realised it was always getting me really angry, and I already feel better!

17 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah over time they can look to develop ones which have less reactogenicity. But for the first lot the main end point was to produce something that worked and didn't kill you from the side effects (slightly more nuanced but basically true). 

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

the side effects are your immune response! So the cough and the lung inflammation, the tissue destruction and the dying would all be due to the virus and the headache, fever, aches etc are our immune system! Basically, our bodies think we are being invaded, so we turn the heat up (most microorganisms have a narrow temperature range they can survive in (some don’t, extremophiles live in all sorts of conditions...bugs are crazy, thiobacillus concretovorans eats concrete!)), we also switch on making all the antibodies and mobilise our white blood cells...this means our blood vessels swell a bit to increase blood flow around our bodies (and that gives us a headache), the blood vessels also leak to let the white blood cells out, so that leads to swelling and pains and our lymph nodes go into over drive (distributed all around our body) further swelling and causing some pain. Cytokines (interleukins esp) drive a lot of this and are pumped out by our immune cells when we think we are under attack. It also uses a lot of our energy to do all this, so we feel tired. We have to make the whole immune response from scratch this time, but future jabs/infection will switch in memory cells so should be less stressful as all the groundwork has been done. In the trials, second dose with AZ was milder in terms of side effects. 

• Upvote 4