When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

not sure that was the reason? Didn't we have to import ventilators?

Yes but you are aware how disconnected NZ and Aus are from the rest of the world right? They can’t exactly borrow some from their neighbours either as they needed them just as much.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yes but you are aware how disconnected NZ and Aus are from the rest of the world right? They can’t exactly borrow some from their neighbours either as they needed them just as much.

sure...ok...but do you know the reason for their zero covid strategy was lack of ventilators? or was it they were learning from eastern asian countries and their experience with sars....and that they weren't prepared to push their health services to the brink to supposedly save their economies which was the mistake made in western democracies.

Aus and NZ government and health services have a real job on their hands in trying to encourage everybody to have a vaccine. If they don’t, they could be in trouble. 
As we’ve have it so bad over here, take up of the vaccine was so high as people have seen first hand the devastation this virus can cause. As they haven’t really experienced it, then you would assume there will be more scepticism around it. 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Aus and NZ government and health services have a real job on their hands in trying to encourage everybody to have a vaccine. If they don’t, they could be in trouble. 
As we’ve have it so bad over here, take up of the vaccine was so high as people have seen first hand the devastation this virus can cause. As they haven’t really experienced it, then you would assume there will be more scepticism around it. 

maybe vaccine passports to leave the country or have people come in will persuade many?

I have to say as a fat bloke in his forties, I'm not feeling great about people relaxing as vaccines mean the risk to society as a whole reduces - because it means that my personal risk is going to go up again for the next couple of months.

I'm sure I'll be fine, but I'd rather not catch the  coronavirus without having been vaccinated beforehand.

11 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Ian Brown unanimously getting taken apart on Twitter. The vaccine passport has such huge public opinion behind it that those of us who don't agree just have to accept and get on with it. There is nothing we can do against this tide - let's just enjoy the freedom we get when we have it  @gizmoman

Will this "freedom" mean the return of peaceful protest? Of course not, such gatherings will be classed as risky because the people attending won't have been tested or checked for vaccination. Since the majority have now been propagandised into accepting this new level of control it will be easy to demonise and shut down any protest, whatever the cause. The public simply won't care if the Police use unlawful means to break up demos, look at the response on here to the anti-lockdown demos last year. Even if you disagree with the cause, the right to peaceful protest is a basic freedom, people are starting to forget what rights they had and are willing to surrender anything just to get to the pub.

10 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

To be fair Ian Brown has shown himself to be a total crank who thinks covid is a hoax and that 5G has something to do with it. He shouldn't be your best bet for forwarding the anti vaccine passport argument.

Also his music is godawful. Be a bonus if this stops him playing live again.

I'm not really it was less about Ian Brown and more about the comments about him - the public clearly want them, between People saying how dangerous it would be to have a gig with unvaccinated people and those who have accepted it as inevitable I have to just go into that second group now. We'll just have to hope I'm wrong on what it could lead to! 

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

Will this "freedom" mean the return of peaceful protest? Of course not, such gatherings will be classed as risky because the people attending won't have been tested or checked for vaccination. Since the majority have now been propagandised into accepting this new level of control it will be easy to demonise and shut down any protest, whatever the cause. The public simply won't care if the Police use unlawful means to break up demos, look at the response on here to the anti-lockdown demos last year. Even if you disagree with the cause, the right to peaceful protest is a basic freedom, people are starting to forget what rights they had and are willing to surrender anything just to get to the pub.

100% true but I'm still seeing it as easier to accept it - its a huge tide now, people want it desperately. I'd never attend protest anyway because I don't want to end up on a list! 

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm not really it was less about Ian Brown and more about the comments about him - the public clearly want them, between People saying how dangerous it would be to have a gig with unvaccinated people and those who have accepted it as inevitable I have to just go into that second group now. We'll just have to hope I'm wrong on what it could lead to! 

"the public clearly want them"

Go look at the likes/dislikes and the comments on this report, it's a mainstream media channel, dislikes are 2 to 1 likes, comments are overwhelmingly negative. Suspect your twitter "poll" is of younger more gullible people.

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Fair enough. I just think he has shown himself to be such a moron in the past year that people responding to him are probably viewing through that lens too. You could probably find a lot better arguments against vaccine passports than anything he comes out with.

As I've said I'm not in favour of them for domestic use. But also I don't think we will end up with them so I'm not worrying about it hugely. I know the government are considering it and I think it will end up not happening. Personally.

20 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I have to say as a fat bloke in his forties, I'm not feeling great about people relaxing as vaccines mean the risk to society as a whole reduces - because it means that my personal risk is going to go up again for the next couple of months.

I'm sure I'll be fine, but I'd rather not catch the  coronavirus without having been vaccinated beforehand.

I honestly think by May when the real relaxations start that you'll be one dose down - it's moving so fast. My dad is 63 and getting his this week, and that's moving way quicker than we expected. 

8 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Go look at the likes/dislikes and the comments on this report, it's a mainstream media channel, dislikes are 2 to 1 likes, comments are overwhelmingly negative. Suspect your twitter "poll" is of younger more gullible people.

Older people seem to be the most accepting of it as an inevitability, which really surprises me considering they've been brought up with the threats of systems like that (and my dad tried to convince me not to vote Labour because "you'll be forced to do things") 

The positive supportive comments for Ian Brown tend to be from the younger crowd from what I can tell - the ones that just don't care and would go to a gig tomorrow with or without a vaccine 

YouTube is an interesting one and maybe skewed considering that's where some of the more conspiracy people get their information from (not judging just saying )

Edited by efcfanwirral

8 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Likewise, a large media channel on an international video platform is not by any stretch an accurate measure of the British public's opinion on it either.

7 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Not sure why, but my 23 year old housemate has been called by his GP to go for his first jab. Absolutely no health issues, if anything he's healthier than average

how weird. Not a health or care worker?

My missus still doesn't know why she's been offered one, she tried to find out but no reason was given.

49 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Yes, because of the pandemic 2020 was a year withour public protests. Except of course for Black Lives Matter, and the anti-BLM statue defending Nazis, and of course the lockdown protests. Other than that though there was nobody taking to the streets, public protest has clearly been stopped by the pandemic.

45 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I honestly think by May when the real relaxations start that you'll be one dose down - it's moving so fast. My dad is 63 and getting his this week, and that's moving way quicker than we expected. 

Cases are already going up in my area, it's the next couple of months that makes me nervous. I'm talking about how people are dropping their guard, rather than the official staged reopening.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Added "official"