When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

27 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Cases, deaths and hospitalisations dropping like a stone.

Decent weekend weather wise and people clearly meeting up on groups all over.

Bosh - new variant of concern discovered in the UK

It's all looking really good. Loving the positive vibe in this thread today. 

It's important we get cases as low as possible before schools open as it's unknown what's going to happen to the R rate. 

So if cases start plateauing or creeping up by the end of March I hope we can keep this positivity!

49 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

At least one of these took their test well over 2 weeks ago and the others have been in the UK for over 2 weeks. 

Why on earth is this just being announced now? 

AFAIK it takes a bit of time to sequence positive cases. Whether that is two weeks or not I haven't a clue, but it's certainly longer than the standard test turn around time (and obviously you have to get that first as without a positive test there is nothing to sequence).

Just now, Barry Fish said:

We still need to consider the children possibly soon and the J&J jabs is the best thing we have for that coming up.  If we detonate anything it may well be the others.

I'd actually keep J&J to redo the 30m most vulnerable in the autumn since it's proven to work against the variants, although I think Oxford/AZ are developing new vaccines for that reason.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

image.png.1872f85c6d0c26e3e96496cbead76da1.png

Last day in March: 1,727 UK cases reported

Last day in April: 494 UK cases reported

Last day in May: 141 UK cases reported

Last day in June: 40 UK cases reported

Last day in July: 12 UK cases reported

Last day in August: 3 UK cases reported

based on current rate decreases and no opening up ?

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This new variant is obviously made up to keep us locked down for longer.

More likely that it’ll turn out not to be something that will cause major issues as vaccines although slightly hampered will still prevent the most serious of illness and death.

I have little doubt that any variants will now be used as a stick to beat us all with due to this “data not dates” agenda which seemingly is okay to be prolonged but not shortened...?

13 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I was a pretty big remainer tbf, it's just a joke

Haha thats how I took it! 

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This new variant is obviously made up to keep us locked down for longer.

We're not saying that but I imagine behavioural science has to come into it - as cases drop compliance will drop too, people who don't look at the news obsessively like us need a reminder every now and then, which is fair enough I think 

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Haha thats how I took it! 

We're not saying that but I imagine behavioural science has to come into it - as cases drop compliance will drop too, people who don't look at the news obsessively like us need a reminder every now and then, which is fair enough I think 

This is exactly it. They knew they couldn’t just go back into another full lockdown and expect the same level of compliance as lockdown 1. Too many people had either had it, thought they’d had it or come to their own conclusion that it was unlikely to cause them any ill health and a lot of people had let their guard down. Variants that *could* reinfect, spread faster, spread better in children and *could* cause more severe disease in younger people was all it took to bring compliance back up. 

I believe it was done for the right reasons but I fully expect any talk of variants to die down in this country once the adults have been vaccinated. 

There has been 1000’s and 1000’s of variants since they began working on vaccines and suddenly there’s a few bad ones just as they get approved? I’m not buying that. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

There has been 1000’s and 1000’s of variants since they began working on vaccines and suddenly there’s a few bad ones just as they get approved? I’m not buying that.

While I broadly agree with you and that variant talk is largely press scare stories, a crucial difference now is that with multiple proven vaccines available we've got something to measure variants against - whereas 6 months ago any variant was just more of the same.

1 hour ago, st dan said:

So 2 of the 3 cases of the P1 found in South Gloucestershire were from people who returned from Brazil in mid February (before the quarantine measures). I mean it’s just crazy that only a few weeks ago, people were actually allowed to come into the country from wherever they like.
All travel to and from Brazil and South Africa should have been banned the moment these variants became a concern.   

It’s not that straightforward, if we keep any international borders open new variants will arrive even if indirect from supposedly safer countries.

so, we could do a New Zealand and shut all borders. As we import a great deal of food it’s very difficult for us to do. And then what’s the exit strategy? There may be new variants cropping up for a number of years (how long until the world is vaccinated??) so do we keep the borders and all travel closed for a year, 3, 5...who can tell.

5 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

It’s not that straightforward, if we keep any international borders open new variants will arrive even if indirect from supposedly safer countries.

so, we could do a New Zealand and shut all borders. As we import a great deal of food it’s very difficult for us to do. And then what’s the exit strategy? There may be new variants cropping up for a number of years (how long until the world is vaccinated??) so do we keep the borders and all travel closed for a year, 3, 5...who can tell.

I believe we should have hotel quarantined everyone until the virus was under control i.e. until (hopefully) the Summer. They faffed about and then they ended with the half-arse solution you've described.

And while they were faffing about with this, people were dying in droves and the new variants was coming in.

Early action saves lives is the theme of this pandemic and should have been applied here too.

19 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

You can still close borders to travellers whilst importing food tho- New Zealand still has food imports 🙂 

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Mozzie’s don’t like me at all! Apparently it’s my blood type, which also happens to be my motto for life (B+!)...

Never used to bother me before but since I hit my 40s I'm like a human kebab to them!! And it's always my legs, the buggers even get through the jungle formula that I spray on like the lynx ad... mozzies always find a way 😞

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I tell you what's going to put people off is feeling as shite as my missus is at the moment.

The builder doing work on my house had his on Thursday and then had to take Friday off as he felt so rough.

He’s one of those double hard bastard builder types so he must have been really bad to take the day off.

1 hour ago, Chawk said:

You can still close borders to travellers whilst importing food tho- New Zealand still has food imports 🙂 

It's quite a bit harder for the UK as a great deal of our imports are road-based haulage coming across the Channel, whereas NZ is so far away from anywhere that it's almost entirely shipping freight

Edited by waltere
Typos