When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Because plenty of people are sticklers for the rules are conflate morality with legality, and they're effectively being punished here. I'm no stickler for the rules myself but I did have a picnic with a friend on Saturday and then go and meet another friend afterwards for a walk, I'd have preferred to just meet them both together in a group of three.

But you can and no one will stop you, as you know. So if you think the rule is unnecessary just break it.

I am happy to wait another couple of weeks, especially as I'll need to get on a train to mingle. Not because I'm mixing morality with legality. I just think it's good to go slow. But no one is stopping you.

51 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Government should bring back the rule of 6 outdoors from next week. Fuck waiting until the 29th. 

I don't think they will do anything else at same time as schools going back, as that is a big risk. I do think they could be a bit more lenient with the safer outdoor stuff over the next few months though.

19 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Ok, thanks. She’s freaking out as she heard that Boris was going to cancel the lockdown plans (looks like that line came from the Express).

The Express were saying the roadmap plans were being cancelled?

As ZMG has said it’s a normal Monday event now the briefings so your Mum doesn’t need to worry.

Queue a huge announcement this evening now 😂

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The Express were saying the roadmap plans were being cancelled?

As ZMG has said it’s a normal Monday event now the briefings so your Mum doesn’t need to worry.

Queue a huge announcement this evening now 😂

Boris specifically said just now on TV that they aren't moving from the plans yet

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

But you can and no one will stop you, as you know. So if you think the rule is unnecessary just break it.

I am happy to wait another couple of weeks, especially as I'll need to get on a train to mingle. Not because I'm mixing morality with legality. I just think it's good to go slow. But no one is stopping you.

I would have, but my second friend didn't want to. Purely because it's against the rules. Not through any worry of getting caught per se, but my mate isn't someone who follows covid-twitter type stuff so the rules are his barometer of what is/isn't safe. If you ask him, meeting a friend immediately followed by a different friend for a walk is safe, but walking as a group of three isn't (but will miraculously become safe on 29th March). 

You and I are much better educated on this than the general public because we follow it day in, day out. But a lot of people just get their guidance from Boris and thus the government have a moral duty not to go banning things that pose no (or negligible) risk, and for that reason, picnics and small group outdoor gatherings should be immediately reintroduced.

Hancock being wheeled out points to a "we reserve the right to delay if the variant takes over" type briefing but I'd be amazed if the roadmap gets paused now over a handful of cases. Schools will open next week and I think they'll review the situation in a coming weeks with a view to delaying the subsequent phases if the Brazil variant does start playing a more prominent role.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Hancock being wheeled out points to a "we reserve the right to delay if the variant takes over" type briefing but I'd be amazed if the roadmap gets paused now over a handful of cases. Schools will open next week and I think they'll review the situation in a coming weeks with a view to delaying the subsequent phases if the Brazil variant does start playing a more prominent role.

It does beg the question: How did they design such an idiotic track and trace system where the individual couldn't be traced?

Just now, xxialac said:

It does beg the question: How did they design such an idiotic track and trace system where the individual couldn't be traced?

Yeah that's quite the facepalm. Also begs the question of why on earth the genetic sequencing has taken nearly three weeks?

• Upvote 1

Still baffles me that international travel at all is allowed, especially if there is genuine concern in regards to new variants. 
I get that some people have family abroad etc, but I’m sorry - we are in the middle of a global pandemic here. Some people also haven’t seen their families this year who live only a couple of hours away within the UK. 

It actually makes a mockery of the whole thing - those who abide by lockdown rules and are giving up so much, yet at the same time people are allowed to waltz in from other countries and risk spreading these variants. Not that I think this will come to much in the end, but it’s farcical it’s actually allowed. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

I understand that lockdowns stop the spread of disease but in my opinion (and I'm pretty sure a growing number of peoples) restrictions within a lockdown need to be proportionate.

I'm not saying get rid of them all and let's see what happens but outdoor based restrictions should 100% be scaled back sooner than currently timetabled too. I'm fairly certain there's more than 1% of scientists who would agree with that?

The scientists don't (or at least shouldn't) be making the call on what is and isn't appropriate though. All they can really do is model different options and give an indication of the number of deaths each will cause. It's then up to government to make the call on what is and isn't acceptable. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

We can't stop foreigners from coming into the country and disappearing with a killer virus but we can have an argument over 2 mile journeys...

Whatever the rights and wrongs - that's where we are...

COVID denier attempts to provoke a reaction. Don't give her the attention she craves.

Not surprised at that Express headline. The media know their days of a confined audience of people stuck at home and clicking on any old shit they publish are numbered come spring/summer. They're going to make a meal of any variant scare stories because their traffic's going to go through the floor sooner or later once things become a bit more normal.

4 minutes ago, st dan said:

Wonder if this will get anywhere. Assuming not, but a decent legal team might be able to rip them apart on it. 

Steady on Sacha lad, now the weather is picking up, some of us in hospitality are gonna stretch out this furlough business for as long as possible.

• Upvote 2

BORIS TELLS BRANIAC to BUGGER OFF

• Johnson insisted the discovery of the P1 Brazilian variant in the UK would not hold up the easing of lockdown. Asked about the comment from Prof Graham Medley, chair of the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling (SPI-M) on the Today programme this morning about this development might have to lead to opening up going being reversed (see 10.51am), Johnson said:

I haven’t heard that, and our whole strategy is to go forward in a way that is cautious but irreversible. And we don’t think that there’s any reason on this basis to change that now.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

BORIS TELLS BRANIAC to BUGGER OFF

• Johnson insisted the discovery of the P1 Brazilian variant in the UK would not hold up the easing of lockdown. Asked about the comment from Prof Graham Medley, chair of the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling (SPI-M) on the Today programme this morning about this development might have to lead to opening up going being reversed (see 10.51am), Johnson said:

I haven’t heard that, and our whole strategy is to go forward in a way that is cautious but irreversible. And we don’t think that there’s any reason on this basis to change that now.

Braniac?