When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Sir David King, the former Chief Scientific Advisor to UK government:

Interviewer: "Sir David, on a scale of 1 to 10, how do you rate the UK government on its tackling of Covid-19?"

Sir David: "Is there a number lower than 1?"

Well this bloke's not much of a scientist is he, never heard of negative numbers

Apols if it’s been posted but watching footie and this thread is moving fast. But for those working/studying at uni, this is on the gov site

Higher Education provision will remain online until mid February for all except future critical worker courses.

Expecting to be wfh fully for the time being at least.

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

Apols if it’s been posted but watching footie and this thread is moving fast. But for those working/studying at uni, this is on the gov site

Higher Education provision will remain online until mid February for all except future critical worker courses.

Expecting to be wfh fully for the time being at least.

If you live at university, you should not move back and forward between your permanent home and student home during term time.

Does that mean students are able to return to their student accommodation and stay there ie next week? 

Just now, Copperface said:

If you live at university, you should not move back and forward between your permanent home and student home during term time.

Does that mean students are able to return to their student accommodation and stay there ie next week? 

Hmm not sure from the wording, but I doubt it in reality. I guess nothing to stop students returning to private accommodation, but I can’t see any way they’re returning to Uni accommodation in the next couple weeks.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Hmm not sure from the wording, but I doubt it in reality. I guess nothing to stop students returning to private accommodation, but I can’t see any way they’re returning to Uni accommodation in the next couple weeks.

Yep, that's what I believe. I did it last time as well, to and from Liverpool in a day, dropped off at door of rented house and straight back. 

That's what's going to happen again I think. She's better off with her friends in a house rather than cooped up with parents for months.

Edited by Copperface

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yeah i very much doubt it. They won’t be back into actual lectures etc this year either. I sincerely hope the poor students are reimbursed for all of this - you’re looking at £13k a year (course and living grants etc) but I’m going to guess they won’t be. 

Just now, JoeyT said:

Still leaving the can you work at the office question open to interpretation:

• go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home.

This is a massive part of it. My girlfriend used to work at ASOS and they completely pushed the limits on whether they ‘could’ work from home after the first lockdown (when they all did work from home successfully) to the extent that they all worked in the London head office during the November ‘lockdown’. I would not be surprised to see them do this again.

Her new employers are similarly loose with their interpretation. There is also a lot to be said for coffee shops such as Costa (where my Mum works) that push the limits and desperately cling on and open with click and collect. Just encourages people with no other reason for being out to make an unnecessary trip. 

15 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

No alcohol with takeaways is a change on March lockdown....why so? 

Not sure if this is the reason, but during the original restrictions last year there was quite a bit of perceived abuse going on - some of the bars near me were selling takeaway food + pints, and then on weekends when the weather was dry quite you'd get people taking them directly across the road to the park and using it as a beer garden.