When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, topmarksbri said:

This is what any sensible, competent government would have done. Squash the virus as much as possible up until the very last minute and then let people see their families. I'm trying not to be overly emotional about all of this but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I'll never ever forgive the tories or Johnson for their negligence. 

He’s tried to please the nation as best he can (by ending lockdowns prematurely), save the economy (by reopening shops, pubs etc), as well as protecting lives (to some extent).
And he’s managed to to monumentally mess up all three of them simultaneously. 
Surely he had to pick which one was most important and put the majority of eggs in that basket. Trying for the best of all worlds, and we really have ended up with the best of none. 

• Like 1

Just now, st dan said:

He’s tried to please the nation as best he can (by ending lockdowns prematurely), save the economy (by reopening shops, pubs etc), as well as protecting lives (to some extent).
And he’s managed to to monumentally mess up all three of them simultaneously. 
Surely he had to pick which one was most important and put the majority of eggs in that basket. Trying for the best of all worlds, and we really have ended up with the best of none. 

That's it though - real leadership is about making hard decisions in the short term to help the long term. As it is he was reactive instead of proactive, constantly doing things at the last minute which he thought would please the public rather than setting out a long term vision. Of course, this new strain couldn't be predicted but someone who had a view that was more long term than the next week would have been able to adapt more easily - and as you say, we've ended up with the best of none. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Of course, this new strain couldn't be predicted

It didn't need to be.

Cases were always going to rise again after lockdown ended, and relaxing restrictions at Christmas was always going to be a huge risk, and trying to keep London + the Home Counties in Tier 2 even when the numbers said Tier 3 was necessary was always going to backfire. And that's just the major fuck ups from this month alone.

Any new strain absolutely cannot be used as an excuse or even a mitigation for sheer incompetence.

• Upvote 1

So to me this has been pretty vague but... what do we think the deal is in a Tier 2 area with staying overnight on Christmas Day only? I know it's a no go in Tier 4. I've found this article which says it's not advised but not banned. But don't want to be outright flouting the rules?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-christmas-rules-whats-allowed-during-the-festive-season-under-rough-new-measures-12138882

Actual wording is - "Avoid overnight stays away from home if you can"

I checked and the article was posted/updated about 45 minutes ago.

What are peoples views on it?

Just now, incident said:

That the rules will probably have been changed again or at least "clarified" by this time tomorrow so not to worry about it yet.

Yeah that's another thought I had. I think they'll have to.

I can see a lot of people driving close to (or over) the limit on Christmas evening as they had a few drinks with the family but weren't allowed to stay overnight. Another issue that will need to be considered.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

So to me this has been pretty vague but... what do we think the deal is in a Tier 2 area with staying overnight on Christmas Day only? I know it's a no go in Tier 4. I've found this article which says it's not advised but not banned. But don't want to be outright flouting the rules?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-christmas-rules-whats-allowed-during-the-festive-season-under-rough-new-measures-12138882

Actual wording is - "Avoid overnight stays away from home if you can"

I checked and the article was posted/updated about 45 minutes ago.

What are peoples views on it?

From my understanding the Christmas relaxation is only for that day therefore overnight stays aren’t allowed. 

28 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

That's it though - real leadership is about making hard decisions in the short term to help the long term. As it is he was reactive instead of proactive, constantly doing things at the last minute which he thought would please the public rather than setting out a long term vision. Of course, this new strain couldn't be predicted but someone who had a view that was more long term than the next week would have been able to adapt more easily - and as you say, we've ended up with the best of none. 

Yes exactly. The virus was always going to pick up like in the winter with or without a new variant the government should’ve had a plan for this and should’ve been out with the message about Christmas months ago but they didn’t because Johnson isn’t a leader. This is all on him. 

Benjamin Netanyahu has become the first person in Israel to get vaccinated against the coronavirus, as the country begins it inoculation rollout on Saturday night.

The prime minister had previously said he wanted to set an example for other Israelis by taking the Pfizer vaccine first.

“What’s important to me is that the people of Israel get vaccinated. I believe in this vaccine. I want the people of Israel to get vaccinated and so I will be first,” he said earlier this month.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/dec/19/coronavirus-live-news-uk-deaths-climb-as-australia-battles-to-contain-covid-19-cluster

Got to love these politicians skipping the queue and vaccinating themselves first, while making out it's the self-sacrificing, virtuous thing to do- they're only doing it to set a good example to us, apparently! Shameless stuff!😂

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/dec/19/coronavirus-live-news-uk-deaths-climb-as-australia-battles-to-contain-covid-19-cluster

Got to love these politicians skipping the queue and vaccinating themselves first, while making out it's the self-sacrificing, virtuous thing to do- they're only doing it to set a good example to us, apparently! Shameless stuff!😂

I am no fan of Bibi but I understand why it makes sense for politicians to get it first, if you have people who are vaccine sceptics seeing leaders get it may make you less sceptic.

26 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Yeah that's another thought I had. I think they'll have to.

I can see a lot of people driving close to (or over) the limit on Christmas evening as they had a few drinks with the family but weren't allowed to stay overnight. Another issue that will need to be considered.

Government rules are no excuse for that. That's on the individual 100% - no excuses ever 

• Upvote 4

I don’t know how I feel about people putting themselves through so much misery, just to follow a set of ‘rules’ that have been thrown together last minute by this group of clowns. It’s just not fair playing with peoples emotions like this, just due to sheer incompetence and lack of leadership.