When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

39 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Some videos circulating on Twitter showing London train stations completely rammed as selfish, irresponsible idiots try to get out before the morning. 

Exactly what happened in Italy. We'd better hope this new variant thing is an excuse because right now it's going everywhere else 

Hi guys I haven’t read the previous posts but here’s some insight.

I left London yesterday and I’ve gone to spend Christmas with my parents. I had a test earlier in the week which came back negative. I have been isolating to minimise all risk.

Virtually all of my friends based in London right now are trying to get out. Anyone which isn’t taking the train is getting family to come and pick them up. I’m hearing roads are gridlocked and trains are overflowing

Here’s the part which people will disagree with me on. If you thought this was going to happen any other way you are either burying your head in the sand or you don’t have a clue.

Anyone with residence or somewhere to go is not going to stay in Tier 4 London. Especially during Christmas. If it comes down to virus risk or being alone for Christmas people will choose risk. It’s Christmas. It a huge event for British people. This is simply how it is.

The U turn means that this is what has happened. It was never going to happen any other way unless the military stopped everyone leaving London.

Boris and co knew this would happen when they made this announcement.

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I left London yesterday and I’ve gone to spend Christmas with my parents. I had a test earlier in the week which came back negative. I have been isolating to minimise all risk.

Virtually all of my friends based in London right now are trying to get out. Anyone which isn’t taking the train is getting family to come and pick them up. I’m hearing roads are gridlocked and trains are overflowing

Here’s the part which people will disagree with me on. If you thought this was going to happen any other way you are either burying your head in the sand or you don’t have a clue.

Anyone with residence or somewhere to go is not going to stay in Tier 4 London. Especially during Christmas. If it comes down to virus risk or being alone for Christmas people will choose risk. It’s Christmas. It a huge event for British people. This is simply how it is.

The U turn means that this is what has happened. It was never going to happen any other way unless the military stopped everyone leaving London.

Boris and co knew this would happen when they made this announcement.

Apart from 5 of my mates that I know of so far. 8 if you include partners

46 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

My niece has abandoned her house share in N London this evening and got herself on a train to her parents in Devon. She has had the sense to isolate herself totally for the last 10 days as she was due to travel on Weds but with the news today she has gone against the advice and evacuated herself. There will be many more who do the same.

Other than her housemates she is on her own in London.  Time will tell how irresponsible her actions are, but she's not selfish, and she's not an idiot.  She's terrified.  

Of course its frightening, it’s terrifying and I really feel sorry for people facing Christmas alone. but I still think the actions of all these people is completely irresponsible. Some, like your niece, will have been isolating ahead of travelling, but that counts for nothing when your crammed on a train for hours with loads of others who probably haven’t isolated. No social distancing in the stations or on the trains. Videos of people sitting on floors because the seats are all full. Many people having to use multiple trains to reach their destinations. In the space of one night the new variant could be getting an easy ride to all corners of England, where for one day next week up to 3 households can still mix. It’s bonkers.

Edited by Gingerfish79
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Apart from 5 of my mates that I know of so far. 8 if you include partners

Good for them. Most people are doing the right thing and leaving though.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

as ever, it isn't the risk to yourself, it is the risk of spreading it to others.

Yeah as I said. Everyone knows their risk. But anyone who can avoid spending Christmas alone is going to avoid spending Christmas alone.

1 minute ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Of course its frightening, it’s terrifying and I really feel sorry for people facing Christmas alone. but I still think the actions of all these people is completely irresponsible. Some, like your niece, will have been isolating ahead of travelling, but that counts for nothing when your crammed on a train for hours with loads of others who probably haven’t isolated. No social distancing in the stations or on the trains. Videos of people sitting on floors beachside the seats are all full. Many people having to use multiple trains to reach their destinations. In the space of one night the new variant could be getting an easy ride to all corners of England, where for one day next week up to 3 households can still mix. It’s bonkers.

How are you spending Christmas? 

Just now, Ozanne said:

Hey guys we just have to 'deal with it', just accept that some will move around the country and potentially spread this more infectious variant. I wonder if we'll see just 'deal with it' when the January lockdown comes in?

Well yes. It’s never going to happen any other way. Blame our government for this U turn which they know will push people to act a certain way.

They knew this was going to happen.

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Deal with it.

Similar to Matt42, I had a test Monday afternoon the second it looked like Tier 3 was imminent, isolated till the result came Tuesday night, and travelled back to my family home by car on Tuesday night after a negative result having not left the house between test and departure. Somewhat ironically, my family's place on the Bucks / Ox border is now also caught up in Tier 4, but with my parents having encountered serious medical / mental health issues over this year it was absolutely essential for my Mum in particular that I made it home for Christmas.

Boris et al want you to do exactly as some in here are doing - blame the public for their criminally negligent handling of the pandemic, right up until today. Everything that has happened up until now is squarely at the Govt's door for communicating and dealing with this national crisis with the utmost contempt for the general public. 3 days ago it would be "inhuman" to cancel Christmas and everyone had a week to prepare their safe travel plans, today London is closed in less than 3 hours time. They want you to blame the public, that way they get away with it. Don't let them get away with it. Not sure I'd go quite as far as "deal with it", but I think @Matt42's thoughts align with this somewhere. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Matt42 said:

Yeah as I said. Everyone knows their risk. But anyone who can avoid spending Christmas alone is going to avoid spending Christmas alone.

With my wife in Nottingham. What’s your point? 

Just now, Brownie30 said:

Similar to Matt42, I had a test Monday afternoon the second it looked like Tier 3 was imminent, isolated till the result came Tuesday night, and travelled back to my family home by car on Tuesday night after a negative result having not left the house between test and departure. Somewhat ironically, my family's place on the Bucks / Ox border is now also caught up in Tier 4, but with my parents having encountered serious medical / mental health issues over this year it was absolutely essential for my Mum in particular that I made it home for Christmas.

Boris et al want you to do exactly as some in here are doing - blame the public for their criminally negligent handling of the pandemic, right up until today. Everything that has happened up until now is squarely at the Govt's door for communicating and dealing with this national crisis with the utmost contempt for the general public. 3 days ago it would be "inhuman" to cancel Christmas and everyone had a week to prepare their safe travel plans, today London is closed in less than 3 hours time. They want you to blame the public, that way they get away with it. Don't let them get away with it. Not sure I'd go quite as far as "deal with it", but I think @Matt42's thoughts align with this somewhere. 

You selfish bastard

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Disagree it’s ‘most people’ - absolutely no one I know is leaving the capital, myself included. Fair few friends and colleagues have spent the afternoon cobbling together ingredients so they can have a Xmas day with their housemates.

These clips on social media are not representative of the whole city at all. 

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

At the beginning of this weren't you really worried and on here all the time talking about the risks and how bad things were? Funny how people change when the situation suits them.

Do you know why? Because something has clicked with me.

The tories have adopted a strategy of getting us to blame eachother when they’ve been late and failed at every stage. We need to start pushing back when we do exactly what they want us to do.

Just now, Matt42 said:

ah with family you live with. Not alone.

Move along.

This is why you fall out with so many people on here, you only ever see your opinion as fact.

Neither my wife or I have seen our parents since March. Not once due to shielding. I know we are still lucky compared to some, but the toll has been huge, especially on my wife. 

Justify all these people fleeing London and probably spreading the virus anyway you like, but I think it’s crazy. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

Do you know why? Because something has clicked with me.

The tories have adopted a strategy of getting us to blame eachother when they’ve been late and failed at every stage. We need to start pushing back when we do exactly what they want us to do.

So your way of us collectively pushing back is telling us to deal with it, telling people to move along and throwing phrases around like selfish bastards? I suggest you might need better tactics to get people on your side.