When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

People don't only get drunk after 10pm. 

If they all shut at the same time you're also crowding everyone onto the 10:15 bus home. Increasing spread.

If bars shut at 10pm then people will plan their night out drinking around that and still get drunk. Drunken idiots are very good with a time limit, I should know I've done enough bottomless brunches with a time period attached.

That was my point but @FestivalJamie just downvoted me for posting it! 🙄

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

People don't only get drunk after 10pm. 

If they all shut at the same time you're also crowding everyone onto the 10:15 bus home. Increasing spread.

If bars shut at 10pm then people will plan their night out drinking around that and still get drunk. Drunken idiots are very good with a time limit, I should know I've done enough bottomless brunches with a time period attached.

The rules aren’t about stopping people from ever spreading the virus. They’re about reducing certain risky scenarios. 

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Only 2 of the top 25 are Tory places, with one of those being Solihull which is practically Birmigham anyway

I know many of the places high on the list are rough to say the least, which definitely will be contributing to it

But does anyone think the Tories would allow testing in their own areas? They're way too clever for that. 

As a political party, if you had the power to decide where testing was allowed and not allowed, therefore who got locked down and who didnt, with the knowledge that the local council will get the blame when the businesses close and people lose jobs there (alongside the benefit of that not happening in your own areas), wouldn't you take it?

I'm convinced this is being used as a political tool right now. I have a grudging respect for their audaciousness.  

As someone in Tameside those figs are scary :( 

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

The real way to stop this is to tighten up on masks(pubs and restaurants) enforcement of them and to improve contact tracing and make sure supply meets demand when it comes to testing.

The government need to rethink their approach, not blame the public(I understand a lot of the public ARE actually to blame but they aren’t going to stop being wreckless- the government are the only ones who can get numbers down).

Not just masks. Pubs and restaurants need to properly sort shit out or not be allowed to open. Contact tracing should be compulsory. 2m distance between people not in your household should be compulsory, if you can't cater for that you can't open. None of this "where possible" nonsense. Table service only in pubs unless you can feasibly queue for the bar at 2m intervals. 

Offices, from what I've seen, have been pretty damn good about all this - most have plans in place that get enforced, even it it means running at 30% capacity. But with pubs and restaurants the rules are out of the window.

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Not enforceable.

At home maybe, but if contact tracing when in bars and restaurants becomes compulsory it could be enforced to the same 6 people.

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Realistically this new 6 people rule is unenforceable though, police aren’t knocking on people’s doors...

I can’t see it making much of a difference to the numbers.

I guess the difference is that any group of more than 6 people can be broken up now. Previously such groups could just claim to be from two households, so that couldn't be enforced at all. I doubt they will care about if you've got 8 people round for dinner, but also means they can break up obvious house parties, along with obvious gatherings outside. The real proof will be in the instructions the police are given around enforcing it.

I do also think there's an element of wanting to relax the restrictions on pubs, restaurants and cinemas so people from multiple households can go together, to stimulate things there.

Edited by DeanoL

4 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

But seriously all this money going to their pals!!

Right now the government are laughing about how much they are getting away with. 

They are going to keep syphoning off millions until the point the country has enough and there’s finally a strong movement that gets them out. 

Then they’ll all fuck off to their tax havens and retire on the backs of our hard work. 

Why can’t the average person see this 😡

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Right now the government are laughing about how much they are getting away with. 

They are going to keep syphoning off millions until the point the country has enough and there’s finally a strong movement that gets them out. 

Then they’ll all fuck off to their tax havens and retire on the backs of our hard work. 

Why can’t the average person see this 😡

I really don't know tbh I know speaking to my elderly parents they just seem to be living in a different world and everything is gonna be peachy (on Brexit that is just gonna send us over the edge)

I know they have majority but surely there is something to stop them destroying the country?? I just don't understand how they can get away with it

I know they have before but this is like a whole new level of game play!!

Edited by shoptildrop

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Only 2 of the top 25 are Tory places, with one of those being Solihull which is practically Birmigham anyway

I know many of the places high on the list are rough to say the least, which definitely will be contributing to it

But does anyone think the Tories would allow testing in their own areas? They're way too clever for that. 

As a political party, if you had the power to decide where testing was allowed and not allowed, therefore who got locked down and who didnt, with the knowledge that the local council will get the blame when the businesses close and people lose jobs there (alongside the benefit of that not happening in your own areas), wouldn't you take it?

I'm convinced this is being used as a political tool right now. I have a grudging respect for their audaciousness.  

Doesn’t it just come down to fact infection is more prevalent in more densely populated areas, of which they tend to be Labour?

7 minutes ago, mikegday said:

Doesn’t it just come down to fact infection is more prevalent in more densely populated areas, of which they tend to be Labour?

Maybe but you know what I'm in a borough of Manchester called Tameside and we're no.8 on the list but I would not say we were densely populated tbh

to add we have a pop of @250k 

Edited by shoptildrop

My housemates work  (namebrand big supermarket store) just had multiple staff member testing positive, some of them exhibiting symptom on shift. But their official position is that they are staying open and are telling staff to not tell anyone about the outbreak or post about it online (hence why i didnt name the store) - The staff who got positive tests, picked it up from someone at a party and there were tons of other colleagues at the same party, still working. - some staff are refusing to go in etc but they are remaining open for the time being.

But this is fucked up, this could lead to a lot of customers getting the virus. 

27 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

My housemates work  (namebrand big supermarket store) just had multiple staff member testing positive, some of them exhibiting symptom on shift. But their official position is that they are staying open and are telling staff to not tell anyone about the outbreak or post about it online (hence why i didnt name the store) - The staff who got positive tests, picked it up from someone at a party and there were tons of other colleagues at the same party, still working. - some staff are refusing to go in etc but they are remaining open for the time being.

:(  this makes me so sad ... yet i completely get why :( 

45 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

If supermarkets start closing for it then we could realistically get to the point of not enough supermarkets being open. It's a really tough one as that's bad for the staff 

It's an interesting one, i guess in the height of the virus, testing was prevalent enough to detect cases amongst shop workers. 

Though I assume that any closing would be temporary to allow staff to self isolate. I wouldn't want shops to close because obviously that would be catastrophic right now. Have their been examples of shop outbreaks elsewhere? how did they cope without closing.

8 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Curfew is simple. When people are drunk they are least likely to social distance and mask wearing goes out of the window on public transport. After 10pm in pubs and on trains and busses there is probably a lot of viral transmission due to rules going out of the window.

In my view a curfew on pubs and restaurants is not at all a bad idea to stop the spread of the virus, and stop drunk idiots.

They aren’t going to stop, they’re just going elsewhere. And being sneaky about it.

Practicalities aside. It is starting to make me feel uncomfortable just how much control people are willing and happy to give to the Government (an incompetent, untrustworthy one at that) over this.

And now we get this....

Edited by MEGABOWL
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It seems the media are really going in for them for Christmas plans, I think they'll make one concession by the time of it e.g being able to see one other household because if not they know millions will probably break the rules, they also know how big a money spinner christmas is and they're hardly going to make much money  of a single couple spend it together unlike if an extended family are together for it, for example if I'm with a particular side of my family we can see up to 12 people in the day 

Edited by Chapple12345

Moonshot not going down well:

Dr David Strain, clinical senior lecturer at the University of Exeter and chairman of the BMA's medical academic staff committee, raised concerns about the technology being discussed.

"The mass-testing strategy is fundamentally flawed, in that it is being based on technology that does not, as yet, exist," he said.

"The prime minister's suggestion that this will be as simple as 'getting a pregnancy test' that will give results within 15 minutes is unlikely, if not impossible, in the timescale he was suggesting to get the country back on track."

Where are they getting this idea that the rule of six will last until March from? Hugely depressing if so.

I couldn't give a fuck about Christmas, I hate it anyway, I just want to be able to see one of my best friends and her family of five with my partner in the next six months. They live counties away so not like we can take it in turns to sit it out. I really don't see why them leaving one child at home would make it any safer given they all share the same germs anyway. It really sucks. Could not give a shit about pubs and restaurants, but it now being illegal to see them even outdoors is a huge kick in the teeth for me personally.

• Upvote 1

The BMJ article on the new £100 billion ‘moonshot’ testing programme is a grim  read. A budget greater than NHS England’s yearly spend; money funnelled to Deloitte; Serco and G4S with minimal oversight and worst of all little input from clinicians and scientists: https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3520

We currently have an estimated capacity of 250,000, and they want to increase this capacity to 10 million tests per day by early next year. That’s a 3,900% increase.  I have little faith they will meet that target.

Genuine question - those who are going to be affected by this new ‘6 maximum’ ruling, are you really going to stick to it? Im not talking about attending parties or mass gatherings, more about if that number creeps to 7/8 people if you meet friends or family and there are little kids included in that number for example?

6 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Was having dinner with my in laws and some friends of there's the other night and their conversation turned to how Priti Patel is the best politician these days 😳 had to bite my tongue to avoid an argument

yeah, Patel is very popular with some people, probably the only reason she's still there because she's pretty fuckin useless otherwise.