TBAs 2019

Tuna

30 minutes ago, eastynh said:

What you are saying about the 1975 in this thread, the media were saying exactly the same about Depeche Mode nearly 40 years ago. Look at how that one turned out. Left every single one of their contemporaries in their wake ?‍♂️

I’m not the media. The media is saying that 1975 are good. I contend that they are in fact not good. This is not the same.

Also I’m not sure Depeche Mode are as important as you appear to think, I’m not sure if you’re actually joking here? Wondering if every single one of their contemporaries include the quite obviously bigger and more influential 80s act headlining the Sunday at this years festival?

Even still, I will concede that Depeche Mode were doing something a little new, and that is maybe the key difference. The 1975 are so derivative that they may as well be renamed dy/dx. Just record industry manufactured boyband dirge designed to empty the pockets of the parents of teenage girls... in my opinion.

Anyway, i vote van morrison for tba.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

I’m not the media. The media is saying that 1975 are good. I contend that they are in fact not good. This is not the same.

Also I’m not sure Depeche Mode are as important as you appear to think, I’m not sure if you’re actually joking here? Wondering if every single one of their contemporaries include the quite obviously bigger and more influential 80s act headlining the Sunday at this years festival?

Even still, I will concede that Depeche Mode were doing something a little new, and that is maybe the key difference. The 1975 are so derivative that they may as well be renamed dy/dx. Just record industry manufactured boyband dirge designed to empty the pockets of the parents of teenage girls... in my opinion.

Anyway, i vote van morrison for tba.

No I am making the point people said exactly the same thing about a band, which you are stating about the 1975. Roll on 40 years and they could not have been any more wrong. 

I just find it funny how people write off bands. You are entitled to your opinion on their quality and can you have your reasons to not like them, but to totally disregard them as having any lasting influence seems a bit silly.

How are the Cure bigger than DM? By any metric you wish to use, record sales, concerts, hit singles and albums, DM outstrip the Cure quite easily.

Now you don't have to reply to this message as it will just clog up the thread with stuff that is nit relevant to it. I just used DM as an example of a band who were written off for the reasons you gave about the 1975, but go and have a look for yourself.

2 hours ago, deadpheasant said:

The 1975 can't be a TBA they're fully booked this weekend.

Noone's ruled out Metallica yet so that's what I'm gunning for.

Anyone know if a band has ever played a secret set/played at all when playing in another country on the same day e.g. played a noon set, flew over and then played a nighttime set?

Not suggesting 1975 will play, just intrigued.

Has ever the phrase “a prophet has no honour in his own country” been more pertinent than when applied to Depeche Mode. In their prime they were one of the biggest bands in the world. They are definitely one of the biggest selling British bands of all time - having outsold the Who and David Bowie (although arguably his sad death may have seen him leapfrog Depeche Mode, as certified sales were pretty close ) and certainly the Cure. And yet still in the UK there are conversations about whether or not they are a band worthy of being the headline act. 

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. Sadly they won’t be one of the TBAs. 

2 minutes ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

Has ever the phrase “a prophet has no honour in his own country” been more pertinent than when applied to Depeche Mode. In their prime they were one of the biggest bands in the world. They are definitely one of the biggest selling British bands of all time - having outsold the Who and David Bowie (although arguably his sad death may have seen him leapfrog Depeche Mode, as certified sales were pretty close ) and certainly the Cure. And yet still in the UK there are conversations about whether or not they are a band worthy of being the headline act. 

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. Sadly they won’t be one of the TBAs. 

Headlining is about exciting a crowd and not album sales.

30 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Headlining is about exciting a crowd and not album sales.

And again, going back to my point of not getting the recognition in their own country - elsewhere in the world Depeche Mode will sell out massive stadia for multiple nights. Here, they’ll struggle to do two nights at an arena like O2 or Wembley.  And with 54 charted singles everyone will have something to sing along to. 

20 minutes ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

And again, going back to my point of not getting the recognition in their own country - elsewhere in the world Depeche Mode will sell out massive stadia for multiple nights. Here, they’ll struggle to do two nights at an arena like O2 or Wembley.  And with 54 charted singles everyone will have something to sing along to. 

To be fair, Depeche Mode headlined the IOW last year, so I would consider that pretty good recognition. There was a big crowd and loads of people banging on about them for the weekend. They were gash mind, i went and listened to a random DJ in the Strongbow lounge. 

19 hours ago, eastynh said:

No I am making the point people said exactly the same thing about a band, which you are stating about the 1975. Roll on 40 years and they could not have been any more wrong. 

I just find it funny how people write off bands. You are entitled to your opinion on their quality and can you have your reasons to not like them, but to totally disregard them as having any lasting influence seems a bit silly.

How are the Cure bigger than DM? By any metric you wish to use, record sales, concerts, hit singles and albums, DM outstrip the Cure quite easily.

Now you don't have to reply to this message as it will just clog up the thread with stuff that is nit relevant to it. I just used DM as an example of a band who were written off for the reasons you gave about the 1975, but go and have a look for yourself.

Totally agree... apart from that thread where people were seriously claiming that  Kasabian are better than Arcade Fire (it's been five years and I still can't let it go).

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2019 at 1:55 PM, mattiloy said:

Agreed. There is a circular relationship between the supply and demand of music. The more something is broadcast on for example radio 1, the more popular it becomes, then the more it is broadcast and the more popular it becomes and the more its broadcast and the..

Thus the popularity of an act does not reflect the worth of the music.

The staying power is a better metric for the worth of music. In ten years time I guess foals, wolf Alice and these other bands mentioned could still be touring to solid crowds of dedicated fans whilst 1975 band members are more likely to be destined to be doing dj set tours of student unions.

In short, the 1975 are a fad, the music is uncomplicated, shallow and will not age well.

This is a really bizarre take. What metrics are you going off of to create this weird scenario where Wolf Alice are still touring to big crowds in ten years and 1975 are DJ'ing? I like Wolf Alice but to try and make out that their music is "worth more" than The 1975 and that it will stand the test of time is mental. It's highly unlikely that any current bands music will still be spoken about in decades to come like The Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Radiohead, and even more recently bands like Arctic Monkeys are. We consume music in an entirely different way now and the invention of streaming means most people listen to playlists comprised of various artists instead of albums, and so 99% of the songs people listen to are forgotten about the next day and people are onto the next big thing.

I just find it really odd when people come out with things like your last sentence, making your opinions out to be fact and drawing these assumptions that are impossible to make. Yes a lot of The 1975's stuff is essentially pop music and a large majority of their fanbase are young girls, but it's hardly One Direction is it? Their newest album has gotten rave reviews from a variety of publications and one of the tracks was given song of the year by Pitchfork (Not a fan of them personally but I doubt they'd be giving song of the year to 1D). There's clearly more to their music than a lot of people seem to let on. Not liking them is one thing, but to make out like they have nothing to offer musically and they'll be forgotten about in a couple of years is mad.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bamber said:

mcshed  have another look at that bro.

Down voted for its total fucking irrelevance to the thread not because the music is shite.  You have multiple threads solely dedicated to your youtube spam, there are also threads where it is appropriate but in a discussion about secret sets the cast of celebrity gogglebox is not enough of an excuse to post your drivel. Some mornings coming on here you've done more damage than the actual spambots, at least their stuff is deleted.

It's a long shot but could Flying Lotus be kicking about - genuine question, I don't know if he's played TBAs or secret sets at Glasto before.

He did a last minute pop-up and show at The Social in Soho on 14 June and he was/is in Europe at the mo for a couple of festival appearances.  He doesn't have any US toruing till the beginning of August and I think Stonebridge is run by the people behind The Social.  That said, looking at the other thread, it seems the only Stonebridge slot is 1200-1300 so poss not?  But could be on another stage?  I realise this is all very tenuous haha

3 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Surely they'll announce the Saturday John Peel ahead of the festival? 

I’m sure word will get out beforehand regardless of if it’s announced, but does seem a bit mad leaving a stage headliner a TBA until the banner drops/band walks out. Could lead to a mass exodus to an already pretty thin crowd of people only there because no other headliners did it for them.

Guessing it’ll pop up on the app beforehand though if it’s not announced pre-festival.

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m sure word will get out beforehand regardless of if it’s announced, but does seem a bit mad leaving a stage headliner a TBA until the banner drops/band walks out. Could lead to a mass exodus to an already pretty thin crowd of people only there because no other headliners did it for them.

Guessing it’ll pop up on the app beforehand though if it’s not announced pre-festival.

Will surely be announced pre-fest. There should be a difference between TBA (to be announced) and Special Guests.

The Park slots should be 'Special Guests' IMO. Unless that looks more conspicuous on the lineup and could contribute to bigger crowds?

Edited by Hawros

Has anyone suggested Sleaford Mods for JP TBA slot?

For reasons that make no sense they were not announced til long after the rest as headliner for Nozstock so maybe there is a reason for silence.

Either them or I can see it being one of those playing Truck or Y Not to get over the 'exclusivity'.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Has anyone suggested Sleaford Mods for JP TBA slot?

For reasons that make no sense they were not announced til long after the rest as headliner for Nozstock so maybe there is a reason for silence.

Either them or I can see it being one of those playing Truck or Y Not to get over the 'exclusivity'.

They have previously tweeted saying they havent been asked to do it this year, saying you only play Glastonbury every other year.

Saw them a month ago, I would be absolutely buzzing if they played one of the TBA, lyrically so relevant, sweet beats. Proper geezers